Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:36:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ross Noble

Started by 20footcockandballs, August 19, 2004, 06:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

watching him on hignfy at the weekend i realised what i don't like about him. he goes off on these flights of fancy but the gaps between each leap of logic are too big so you can't follow him without falling. for example, from hignfy:

"david cameron's dad has a wooden leg which technically makes him a pirate"

no it doesn't, it just means he has one of the traits associated with pirates

"so rather than talk about his policies he should just say "my dad's a pirate". that would get my vote"

but his dad isn't a pirate. he merely has a wooden leg

Ambient Sheep

Yes, spot on, you've nailed it nicely.  Every time I hear him going "...which TECHNICALLY makes..." my heart sinks, and I think you've nicely pinpointed why.  Apart from the fact that it's just an annoying phrase.

mothman

I saw Noble on Australian chat-show Rove Live, and he was brilliant. One of the gags he told, about a possum in the roof of his house in Australia (his wife's from there), who makes various noises depending on what's on TV, still gets mentioned by me or my wife whenever we see him on TV at all. But I did start of watching one of his live shows that C4 showed, I think, and found it all very slow and hit-and-miss.

Utter Shit

Just bought Sonic Waffle. No idea if it's any cop or not. Thoroughly enjoyed the show he did in Regent's Park though, having hated Unrealtime, so there's hope. Had some bootleg of a show he did in Brighton sent to me a while back too, only audio and the sound quality isn't great, but it's funny stuff.

Anyone got Ross Noble Goes Global available to share? =)

Utter Shit

NattyDread

You can still hear both series on the bbc listen again thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/ross_global.shtml

Muggins

Ha ha.  The fools.  They've released this on CD and they are probably wondering why no-one is buying it!  It's been on listen again for about 2 years now.  Seems a bit overlooked.

I got Randomist for Christmas.

It seems like a very good value package, 4 discs with at 4 live shows, touring docs, commentaries etc. No more expensive than your average stand up DVD. The first show is very good although I thought the final punchline he kept people waiting for was a bit weak.

I started watching the second show last night and there is a lot of different stuff in there so far despite it being from the same tour. On the other hand, the sound quality on this second show is a bit crappy and I'm homing the next two are a bit better.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: "phantom_power"
"david cameron's dad has a wooden leg which technically makes him a pirate"

no it doesn't, it just means he has one of the traits associated with pirates

I've always taken half the joke in the 'technically' turn of phrase to be the fact that no, it clearly and obviously isn't 'technically' true by any measure of the word. The juxtapositioning of the very dry turn of phrase with the ludicrous premise (hopefully) producing humour.

edited to add

Balls. Sorry. It's the missis on the wrong log in.

Sheldon Finklestein

Having seen him a few times, I'm rather fond of Ross Noble. Maybe it's just because he's a local lad, but he always works the audience beautifully and makes me laugh a lot. I think the problem is, he really doesn't travel well. The joy of his stand-up is being there, so television appearances are rarely much fun. And there's also the problem that he markets himself to the stoned 'laser random kung-fu monkey chips' crowd. But when he does gets past the tiresome animal whimsy, there's a very talented performer there.

Ja'moke

I also got the 4 disc Randomist boxset for Christmas, watched the main show last night and baring in mind I went to see one of his shows during the Randomist tour I was glad to see that most of the show was different apart from the Live 8 gag and the 'Fiddy Cent' stuff. Very funny show.

wherearethespoons

I think the name Randomist is annoying in itself. You can't plan to be random but he seems to think you can. The words 'surreal' and 'random' always make me feel uncomfortable if they're used the fields of comedy or literature - particularly if it's the writer or peformer using them. But I'm just being biased because I think he's a smug and tedious tosser. His so-called randomness has become, like with Paul Merton, predictable and tiresome. However, I still like Merton because he supplied me with so many laughs in the past. I can't remember Noble ever making me even smile.

Boing

Ross Noble looks and dresses like a child molester.He sounds like an uneducated Geordie retard,has the most TURGID,desperate delivery of crap material EVER and has the improvisational skills of Bill Oddie.

Review from something I read,or wrote,or something.

Ross Noble is shit.What advert does he do?

Quote from: "Ja'moke"I also got the 4 disc Randomist boxset for Christmas, watched the main show last night and baring in mind I went to see one of his shows during the Randomist tour I was glad to see that most of the show was different apart from the Live 8 gag and the 'Fiddy Cent' stuff. Very funny show.
You watched the other shows yet? Did you find the sound bad?

Ja'moke

Quote from: "Boing"Ross Noble looks and dresses like a child molester.He sounds like an uneducated Geordie retard,has the most TURGID,desperate delivery of crap material EVER and has the improvisational skills of Bill Oddie.

Review from something I read,or wrote,or something.

Ross Noble is shit.What advert does he do?

Looks and dresses like a child molester?......I didn't know child molesters had developed uniforms or any form of strick dress code.

To Chris..yeah I've watched the first half of the second show and yeah I agree the sound is a bit shoddy, I haven't watched any of the other shows yet though.

Bert Thung

QuoteBoing
Banned
For good?

Hypodeemic Nerdle

Quote from: "Bert Thung"
QuoteBoing
Banned
For good?
Again?

purlieu

TC Raymond

''Wouldn't it be brilliant if we all lived in toffee cottages and were able to fly through the air using the power of magical purple sherbet.''
(Tips mixture of dog turds, nails, broken glass and scorpions in to blunderbuss...)

Sheldon Finklestein

Quote from: Boing on December 29, 2006, 09:21:43 PM
an uneducated Geordie retard

Now, I really have to object to this; Noble is NOT a Geordie, he's from Cramlington. If you weren't born in a place that's on the River Tyne, like myself, you're not a true Geordie. For that reason, and many others, I'm glad he's been banned.

Anyway, as I've said, I think Ross Noble is good, with reservations. A remarkable improvisor who needs to tone down the animal whimsy.