Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:10:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Confrontational men in pubs

Started by 23 Daves, April 07, 2014, 12:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 07, 2014, 09:09:18 AM
If I ever find this 'man' who attacked you Thomas, I'll staple his eyeballs to a dartboard and then drop it into the mouth of an erupting volcano.

Don't worry biggy, I forgave him. I mean, he stormed off immediately and I'll likely never see him again, but I extend forgiveness to wherever he roams. I hope he can nab the psychological help he needs.

chand

A year or two back I was in a pub in Bristol and a drunk Russian man came over to sit with us uninvited. He seemed to be doing a round of the pub sitting with people and making them feel uncomfortable one-by-one. I don't remember his exact words but for some reason pretty much everything he said strongly hinted at a dark past where he repeatedly beat his girlfriend. I guess he figured a pub is the correct place to go if you want to have a kind of therapeutic discussion which soothes your conscience over your past violence against women, and to an extent he's probably right.

In Manchester a man once attempted to hit me  for "looking at his girlfriend", but failed because I was in the corner of a booth and he had to try and reach past two of my friends to punch me. The main thing that was weird about it was that I hadn't even seen his girlfriend, although even if I had that would merely raise questions about what problems exactly my having looked at his girlfriend would be causing him.

Blue Jam

Quote from: tookish on April 07, 2014, 06:34:54 AM
3. Bovine, piss-coloured posh-boy pricks from the university, slathered in fake tan, wearing childish costumes, and usually on some kind of knobbish sports social. They like to try and humiliate me in order to show off to the women around them, by asking to 'see my knob' or 'feel my tits.' I tend to get my own back by pretending not to understand their vulgar jokes, and asking for endless explanations, forcing them to qualify their transphobia in front of all the women they so long to impress.

Tookish, yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiLRkG1kcPM

I know one cross-dresser who says he loves nothing more that hearing blokes wolf-whistle and street-harass him before giving them a hollaback in his big deep voice and then seeing them scuttle off in deep embarrassment.

Quote from: kngen on April 07, 2014, 12:05:33 PM
In Glasgow, in my 20s, I seemed to come across a spate of these types of men who, wierdly, all claimed they fought in Vietnam.

I had been working in a pub in Whitechapel for approximately one week before I heard someone claim they had been in The Blind Beggar when Ronnie shot Reggie or whatever it was.

I suspect the chap Daves described in the original post also saw the Sex Pistols at the 100 Club, honest.

Serge

The guy in the OP sounds like a more aggressive version of the guy we get in our shop who can't stop namedropping obscure acts and minor famous people that he's met in the mistaken belief that this makes him the most interesting man in the room. I mentioned on here once that he asked about a certain record that featured Asia Argento merely so he could bring up the fact that she'd emailed him about something, and another time, he was in for some Q&A (I can't remember which one) and the person onstage mentioned John DeLorean, and he walked out of the crowd and up to the counter to tell us that he'd shared a room at university with DeLorean's son.

There are also a small number of people who still think it's 1978 and Geoff Travis is probably out back somewhere, who always ask for money off because they used to be a regular in the olden days.

tookish

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 07, 2014, 02:38:57 PM
Tookish, yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiLRkG1kcPM

I know one cross-dresser who says he loves nothing more that hearing blokes wolf-whistle and street-harass him before giving them a hollaback in his big deep voice and then seeing them scuttle off in deep embarrassment.

Even though I'm aware that small-cock jokes are the lowest form of wit, when wankers clock me for trans and demand to 'see my knob,'[nb]To what point or purpose, this? I've never understood why is there such a preoccupation with trans genitals. It's not like we have tentacles, we tend to have a dick or a cunt, same as most people.[/nb] I take great pleasure in implying that mine is probably bigger than theirs.

El Unicornio, mang

I always brace myself for these types of encounters whenever I'm out in Newcastle and surrounding areas, although I've never had any trouble myself aside from a bloke who angrily slammed his drink down on our table because we had apparently "stolen" it from him while he was dancing. Last time I was back home a Turkish bloke wanted to beat up my friend because he wouldn't give him a drag on his cigarette. To be fair though, he had bought my friend two shots in the bar beforehand.

There does seem to be an alarming number of women there who want to get in peoples faces though. They're always drunk and seem to get a kick out of verbally or physically attacking blokes for no apparent reason. And of course the blokes can't do anything or a load of massive fellas will jump in because "it's not reet hittin birds like". The last one was this sour faced tattooed gigantor woman who tipped me out of my seat because it was "in the way" of her.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Serge on April 07, 2014, 02:59:58 PMThere are also a small number of people who still think it's 1978 and Geoff Travis is probably out back somewhere, who always ask for money off because they used to be a regular in the olden days.

The year I worked at Wimbledon I lost count of the number of people who tried to get in for free/avoid being thrown out for drunkeness with the line "Do you know who I am? My dad's the president of The All England Lawn Tennis Club!" Before then I had no idea the Duke of Kent had gotten around so much.

imitationleather

Quote from: kngen on April 07, 2014, 12:30:46 PM
Whenever my old band would go over to the continent, it was guaranteed that most nights me and the bass player would attract two distinctive types: he'd get lumbered with some exotic looking but slightly 'off' woman who he'd spend the rest of the night trying to shake off as it would become obvious after about ten minute's conversation that, while the sex that was clearly on offer would probably be wild and mind-blowing, it would come with a heavy, heavy price, which we imagined would range from a harrowing post-coital conversation about years of abuse which would ruin sex forever to simply receiving some kind of long-term physical injury, mostly on his cock.

Me, I'd end up with cornered by some scary-eyed slavic type who thought nothing of wearing a leather bandana, say, or a sexually graphic Trevor Brown/Whitehouse/bondage pic T-shirt, who wanted to talk intensely with me about unreleased Concrete Sox demos or something equally banal. Oh, the amount of times I would try and tune out the Germanic droning about early Electro Hippies tracks, and glance over at my friend, looking utterly terrified as some dominatrix was attempting to eat his entire earlobe, and think: 'Ah fuck. I'll trade places with you. I'll take my chances ...'

Haha at raves I often seem to end up being cornered by really intense european men who make me have conversations which seem to go on forever about the music or the rave scene in Berlin (a place I have never been) or whatever. People stood nearby eavesdropping always give me faces which essentially say "Poor you".

mook

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 07, 2014, 04:29:50 PM
Before then I had no idea the Duke of Kent had gotten around so much.

the clue is in the name mate.

Blue Jam

Oh yes, Kent. This may explain why his numerous children all looked like he only let them spend their clothing allowance at The Glades in Bromley, but with so many sprogs I can't blame him for being so frugal.

fit bird

the level of racism on display here is frankly outrageous.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

I'm quite interested in these past-their-prime Liam Gallagher men now. I think Nick Hornby should write a book about them and then not bother showing it to anyone.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on April 07, 2014, 05:19:12 PM
I'm quite interested in these past-their-prime Liam Gallagher men now.

To be fair you have just been made Marketing Director at Pretty Green.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Have I? I wonder how I feel about that.

Blue Jam

You should be questioning Liam's total lack of shame over this:

http://www.prettygreen.com/discover/ss14/the-walrus/

Seriously, who the fuck shops at Pretty Green? How is a place with such dated clothes at such outrageous prices surviving in these times of austerity? Edinburgh has a branch now, they seem to be popping up everywhere.

graffic

Two Christmases ago I confronted a landlord about the fact his rich father bought the pub for him to run and nocked a tray of pints out of his hand. He responded by physically throwing me outside onto the snow in the car park.

mook

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 07, 2014, 05:29:34 PM
You should be questioning Liam's total lack of shame over this:

http://www.prettygreen.com/discover/ss14/the-walrus/

Seriously, who the fuck shops at Pretty Green?

again, the clue is in the name.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Since the mid 90s (probably more like the early 80s) boutique shops have consistently courted the not insignificant £ of image-conscious thugs, so I can see how Liam's public status as a cappering hardman would dovetail nioely with the aspirational values of their clientèle.

Blue Jam

Yes, but a chain of shops selling stuff that was popular in 1995? Wouldn't Liam have been better off launching it in, er, 1995? Then again the Liam of 1995 would probably have dismissed the idea of starting a fashion label as something only a "fookin' poof" would do.

El Unicornio, mang

Speaking of Liam Gallagher, this video is quite apt for this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sth5DjE4x0c

biggytitbo

I remember once at the seaside a few years ago I was drunk and operating a pair of novelty plastic maracas I'd obtained from a cheeky chick in an overly boisterous manner and this angry ginger bloke threatened to shove them up my arse if I didn't stop.

Some cunt got me in  a headlock in the pub once too, but I pretended to be enjoying it and he stopped. These dull minded thugs are easily beaten if you understand basic psychology.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

I laughed and made girl noises at the same time ^

biggytitbo

I call them cheeky chicks but what I'm referring to where those novelty things you'd get outside amusement arcades and you'd put 50p in and it's make a boooorrkk boooorrkk noise and deposit a plastic egg that had a fabulous toy in. What where they called?

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 07, 2014, 06:07:43 PM
Some cunt got me in  a headlock in the pub once too, but I pretended to be enjoying it and he stopped. These dull minded thugs are easily beaten if you understand basic psychology.

Hark at Derren Brown here.

biggytitbo

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: graffic on April 07, 2014, 05:33:06 PM
Two Christmases ago I confronted a landlord about the fact his rich father bought the pub for him to run and nocked a tray of pints out of his hand. He responded by physically throwing me outside onto the snow in the car park.

nusn't nock nook.

Mr_Simnock

I've been watching someone I have known since childhood turn into one of these idiots. Since his twenties he has had a nasty streak in him, always ready to say really nasty stuff to folk if he thinks he's losing an argument or some such. I have often been shouted at for attention the last few times I have been near him but I have no time for him I just walk away and ignore. His marriage has recently ended but to be honest I have no idea who the fuck would put up with him. I can only see him getting worse. It's nothing to do with how his life is he has been a bit of a drunken cunt for most of his life.

Icehaven

I've an ex who's rapidly turning into one of these, perhaps not (usually) physically confrontational, but definitely the kind, after a few pints, to start angrily telling anyone who'll listen (or not) how crap everyone elses's taste is compared to his. He's also a musician, frustrated at his lack of success, which isn't so much a thing when you're in your 20s as you haven't officially failed yet, however he's nearly 40 now, it's not going to happen and he knows it, so he just gets furious about modern music and starts bellyaching at random people as if they're personally responsible for the state of the charts (which in his defence I suppose potentially they could be, in a very small way).

shiftwork2

Manchester's been mentioned a few times already.  I remember a forty-something confrontational man who managed to get into our hall of residence bar[nb] it was technically a member's club on the licence[/nb] on a Wednesday afternoon (where sensible people went drinking instead of doing that sport thing for keeners).  It was £1 a pint so there was an attraction there, can't blame him for that.  What I can blame him for was wandering round tables, pulling up a chair and butting in to conversations making each table go quiet in turn with his odd hostility.  It was a friendly place, as far away from the 'student wanker' thing as you could ever get and he could have had a few pints and plenty of conversation if he'd stayed round the bar like any sensible lone drinker would have done.  After a while the barman asked him to leave because people were leaving.  He didn't put any kind of a fight which I think caused the barman to feel bad, who then asked him if he wanted a cab.  Angry fella then shouted the following, which I will never, ever forget.  "Want a cab?  I want lots of things.  BUT I CAN'T HAVE THEM".  Then he left.

the psyche intangible

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 07, 2014, 06:13:09 PM
I call them cheeky chicks but what I'm referring to where those novelty things you'd get outside amusement arcades and you'd put 50p in and it's make a boooorrkk boooorrkk noise and deposit a plastic egg that had a fabulous toy in. What where they called?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Rc5dNDB2M