Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:17:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Techy/computer-related problems are no longer welcome on this forum. Please ask elsewhere.

Started by Neil, August 20, 2004, 09:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Well I broke open a new pack of discs today, and it still doesn't recognise the blanks.  I also tried removing the DVD from the system thingy, and letting them reinstall when it rebooted, to no avail.  Pain in the arse, as we wanted to watch Bourne Supremacy tonight, but I'm having to play the Img files in VLC on the puter.   It's definitely odd that I could burn a data DVDR ok, but yet we can't get data CD's to even simulate.  Plus she's been having a lot of errors lately too, Nero getting to the same point in the burn each time and then failing.  The drive is an HP 300c DVD writer.

Side issue:  is there any way to burn these bin files onto a DVDR?

untitled_london

okies - i asked a pal - he's just regged , but, its past his bed time - so i'll qoute a post of his....

Every SVCD originaly comes in a BIN/CUE format - these are cd images that are burnable direct to cd but for a dvd the resolution in incompatable and needs to be changed - but most dvd players play SVCD's fine so heres a work around with no re-encoding and as such no quality loss

tools required

dvdpatcher - http://mitglied.lycos.de/dvdpatcher/DVDPatcher_v106.zip

tmpgenc - http://download.pegasys-inc.com/download_files/TMPGEnc-2.521.58.169-Free.zip

tmpgenc dvd author - http://download.pegasys-inc.com/download_files/TDA-1.5.26.73-install-EN.exe

vcdgear - http://www.vcdgear.com/files/vcdgear355.zip

Etracting the mpeg file(s)

First load your image into vcdgear to extract the mpeg from inside the image

do this for each disk your svcd in on i.e 2 or 3 are the most usual amounts

Merging the Mpeg files

To make life simpler when patching we'll be joining all our extracted mpeg files into one large mpeg file - to do this we shall use tmpgenc

1: start tmpgenc and goto file / mpeg tools

2: as shown in this pic do the following

A: goto the cut and merge tab

B: load in your film parts (mpeg files) in their correct order eg cd1 cd2 cd3 etc

C: in the bottom box type in a title for your output file (all parts combined into one large mpeg file)

D: press run

Patching your file

Start DVDPatcher and load your new large mpeg file into it
there is some info for you to take note of when loaded

in the MPEG2 info box you will see all the details of the file you have added
make sure you take note of bitrates and resolution sizes or just leave the app open ready for patching back

in box A you will see your bitrate , to make life more simple copy this info into the custom box (B)

C shows you the screen resolutions , its best to set this to 720 as this is both PAL and NTSC compatable (never patch smaller than the resolution shown in box A as when you patch back you will lose however much of the picture you lost in the resolution reduction

finally press patch now (D) and your mpeg file will be patched almost instantly and be suitable for making into a dvd

tip: leave dvdpatcher open and it will save you messing about redoing bitrates etc later on

Mpeg to DVD

using tmpg dvd author we will now convert your patched mpeg into a dvd ready file - this is a pretty simple piont and click jobby so i wont dwell on it too much ;)

A: press add file and browse to your patched mpeg file

B: either press settings or double click here (both do the same thing) and add a title to your project

C: because your files are still svcd size you can add 2 movies to your dvd with no quality loss if you wish, if so then click here to add another already patched mpeg file and repeat the above

NB: if both files are not the same format eg: PAL or NTSC then you will have to specify durning the patching process that you wish to patch you file format too and patch it back later when you patch the reslotutions back, as no dvd prog will allow 2 formats on one dvd (well ok 1 will (ifoedit if i remember correctly) but no menus as well)

D: click here to create your menus - simple enough to do

E: select your output path and begin output

Patching your files back

ok back to your still open dvdpatcher :)

hit load and browse to your output folder , the video_ts folder to be exact and load up VTS_01_1.VOB

you remember your original file was 480 x 480

well tick here and press patch now to patch it back

for dvd is now ready for burning to dvd and all still @ original quality with no re-encoding at all :)

have fun

tbh, movie ripping isn't really my bag, i 'v never really dabbled in it.

YGPM

JesusAndYourBush

Does anyone have a download link for a prog that rips the audio of dvd's to mp3 (or wav or whatever).  All the ones I can find will only do up to 5 minutes.

away

hey cool tut untitled :)

dvd to mp3 eh.. try this

http://www.bsoft.ru/al/leech?cat=appz&file=Ultra.DVD2Mp3-v3.8-BSoft.ru.rar

Pinball

I use an eMachines 220 (with 40GB HD) as a backup PC, principally as a workhorse for P2P and suchlike. It's good as it has 6 USB 2.0 slots for external HDs etc., and only cost £300.

Now the problem: I want to add a 300GB internal drive, but don't know if eMachines supports such high capacity or if a PCI card (ATA-133) is needed. Does anyone have any experience with eMachines?? Specifically, is a PCI card needed before the HD will work?

jutl

Quote from: "Pinball"I use an eMachines 220 (with 40GB HD) as a backup PC, principally as a workhorse for P2P and suchlike. It's good as it has 6 USB 2.0 slots for external HDs etc., and only cost £300.

Now the problem: I want to add a 300GB internal drive, but don't know if eMachines supports such high capacity or if a PCI card (ATA-133) is needed. Does anyone have any experience with eMachines?? Specifically, is a PCI card needed before the HD will work?

That eMachines desktop seems to use the Intel 845GL chipset on its motherboard, so it's ATA/100 only. That means it'll only support drives up to 250Gb, I think.

Pinball

Thanks jutl - very helpful! If I add an ATA-133 PCI card though, presumably it would be okay then? I've gone ahead & ordered a drive/PCI card kit (300GB) anyway. Worst case that the crappy eMachines PC (yes, you do get what you pay for..) can't handle 300GB, I'll use it in my other higher spec PC. Personally I prefer USB 2.0 external 300GB drives, but there's just so many USB ports on a PC!!

Timmay

To natively access the full capacity of drives over 137GB, you need to have an ATA controller that supports 48-bit LBA addressing. The fact that the eMachines motherboard has an ATA-100 controller and uses the 845GL chipset doesn't indicate anything - this doesn't tell us about the actual ATA controller, or what the BIOS will support. Chances are though because of it's age and shitness, it probably only supports 32-bit LBA addressing, which would still allow it to work with virtually any size drive (including a 250GB or 300GB drive) but it would only address the first 137GB of it, and therefore only create a 137GB partition.

However, there are some options...

- upgrade the OS to either Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 (or newer) or Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (or newer) and download the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler software patch. The Maxtor Big Drive Enabler, once executed, will update the Windows registry for large drive support. I believe you should then be able to create or alter the partition to use the full capacity.

- download and install the Intel Application accelerator. The Intel Application Accelerator provides 48-Bit LBA compliant ATA/ATAPI controller drivers and replaces the Windows 98/Me, 2000 and XP ATA controller drivers.

- ditch the built-in controller, and purchase a PCI controller that allows for 48-bit LBA addressing.

- check on the manufacturer's website for a BIOS upgrade, that may offer a workaround to allow for 48-bit addressing.

jutl

Quote from: "Timmay"The fact that the eMachines motherboard has an ATA-100 controller and uses the 845GL chipset doesn't indicate anything - this doesn't tell us about the actual ATA controller, or what the BIOS will support.

Surely the fact that it's an 845GL tells you exactly what the ATA controller is? (ie the one that comes with that chipset)... or have I misunderstood?

Neil

Wow, huge thanks for that untitled_london, extremely helpful!   How much could I get on a DVD in that manner, how many  minutes roughly?  Perhaps I could get two of her movies on one DVD?

Now if I could just get the damn thing to recognise blank cd's again.

Timmay

Quote from: "jutl"Surely the fact that it's an 845GL tells you exactly what the ATA controller is? (ie the one that comes with that chipset)... or have I misunderstood?
Okay smartypants, that may be so, but just because you may run an 845GL chipset, doesn't mean the motherboard manufacturer has to use the controller that it "normally" comes with. The northbridge may be an 845GL, but they may have used a different southbridge, which comes with a different features - better ATA controller being one.

For example, my motherboard is based on the 845E chipset, which apparently only has an ATA-100 controller on it, but I know for a fact that my PC has a hardware RAID facility on it, at ATA-133 too.

Pinball

Quote from: "Timmay"To natively access the full capacity of drives over 137GB, you need to have an ATA controller that supports 48-bit LBA addressing. The fact that the eMachines motherboard has an ATA-100 controller and uses the 845GL chipset doesn't indicate anything - this doesn't tell us about the actual ATA controller, or what the BIOS will support. Chances are though because of it's age and shitness, it probably only supports 32-bit LBA addressing, which would still allow it to work with virtually any size drive (including a 250GB or 300GB drive) but it would only address the first 137GB of it, and therefore only create a 137GB partition.
It's at times like this that I feel extremely ignorant, and also very happy to belong to CaB! ;-)

However, there are some options...

- upgrade the OS to either Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 (or newer) or Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (or newer) and download the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler software patch. The Maxtor Big Drive Enabler, once executed, will update the Windows registry for large drive support. I believe you should then be able to create or alter the partition to use the full capacity.
The PC is about 9 months old and has Windows XP Home Edition, with all the XP patches (except SP2 of course..) installed. If the supplied Maxtor software doesn't work, I could try this Enabler patch then. For info the HD I bought is this one.
Quote- ditch the built-in controller, and purchase a PCI controller that allows for 48-bit LBA addressing.
The ATA-133 PCI controller that comes as part of the kit will hopefully do this?
Quote- check on the manufacturer's website for a BIOS upgrade, that may offer a workaround to allow for 48-bit addressing
If the supplied software/Enabler doesn't work I'll try this.

Thanks for the help!! I should receive the HD tomorrow so will install it tomorrow night...

Timmay

Quote from: "Pinball"The ATA-133 PCI controller that comes as part of the kit will hopefully do this?
As it's supplied as a kit, with the drive and card as one, I think you should use the controller that comes with it, and not even bother trying your BIOS.

Either way though, yes, the card should work with that drive natively, with no messing about with additional drivers (other than the drivers for the PCI controller card!)

untitled_london

Quote from: "away"hey cool tut untitled :)

dvd to mp3 eh.. try this

http://www.bsoft.ru/al/leech?cat=appz&file=Ultra.DVD2Mp3-v3.8-BSoft.ru.rar

lmao - cheers - a work of art in my books :P

welcome to c&B pal

untitled_london

Quote from: "Neil"Wow, huge thanks for that untitled_london, extremely helpful!   How much could I get on a DVD in that manner, how many  minutes roughly?  Perhaps I could get two of her movies on one DVD?

Now if I could just get the damn thing to recognise blank cd's again.

i cant the credit for that - that ripping genius came care of away - afaik some ppl are using the newer dvd players that support AVI to squeeze upto 7 moves per dvd, but using the above method - i think 3 will fit to a dvd.

as for getting the damn thing to burn....i'm not 100% sure where the problem is. sounds like you've got the latest firmware, you've re-installed it. the OS spots it and accesses it/ nero is trying to use it....

i'm stuck at the moment... sorry

iain

Anyone know what one should do if they spill milk all over their digital camera?
I mean should i put it on the radiator or something? or will its insides turn to cheese =[

Its actually weather proof and can be used during rain but it got a good soaking and the lense thing retracted really slowly the first time i tried. Seems ok now though...

Neil

Ah well thanks also to Away then :)  

I've been working through that tutorial for the last hour or two, and don't understand what the Patching part is meant to do.  I patched it and then added the file to TPGenc, and I get an error saying "The video GOP is too long" so I click ignore, but then when it's showing a thumbnail of the movie, it has a big green bar up the right hand side, like it's going to crop it or something.  So I unpatched it, readded it, and I still get the GOP error, but no green thing.  I reckon I'll give it a try like this and see if it works.

EDIT:  Ah right, I won't be doing that then, got the error "resolution of 480X576 cannot be used, presumably that's what the DVD patching business was about.  Right, let's try again then.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "away"dvd to mp3 eh.. try this
Thanks, that did the trick just fine.  Wasn't for me, was for someone else, although soon I should be hearing some new mp3's ;)

away

Quote from: "Neil"Ah well thanks also to Away then :)  

I've been working through that tutorial for the last hour or two, and don't understand what the Patching part is meant to do.  I patched it and then added the file to TPGenc, and I get an error saying "The video GOP is too long" so I click ignore, but then when it's showing a thumbnail of the movie, it has a big green bar up the right hand side, like it's going to crop it or something.  So I unpatched it, readded it, and I still get the GOP error, but no green thing.  I reckon I'll give it a try like this and see if it works.

EDIT:  Ah right, I won't be doing that then, got the error "resolution of 480X576 cannot be used, presumably that's what the DVD patching business was about.  Right, let's try again then.

yup you will see a green bar mate, the patching is to by pass the fact that 480x480 (ntsc) 480x576 (pal) are not dvd compatable resolutions, once you have encoded the file in tmpgdvd then you patch back to 480 etc (as long as you joined the files as i stated (sorry ul stated) in the tut, then you only need to patch back the first vob :)

Quotewelcome to c&B pal

heh thx for the invite mate, and hello all btw :)

glitch

Quote from: "Pinball"Personally I prefer USB 2.0 external 300GB drives, but there's just so many USB ports on a PC!!

Buy a USB hub?

Pinball

Quote from: "Timmay"
Quote from: "Pinball"The ATA-133 PCI controller that comes as part of the kit will hopefully do this?
As it's supplied as a kit, with the drive and card as one, I think you should use the controller that comes with it, and not even bother trying your BIOS.

Either way though, yes, the card should work with that drive natively, with no messing about with additional drivers (other than the drivers for the PCI controller card!)
I installed it tonight. The PCI card installs okay, drivers added ok, recognised by the system. However, the 300GB HD (installed as a slave, and yes I checked the jumpers) isn't recognised, or rather appears on startup as a 39GB drive and then doesn't appear in Windows Explorer. I tried to configure System BIOS, but "none" appears for primary slave, and it doesn't have auto-detect or any other way of fixing the problem. In short, I wasted my money and will in future (indeed maybe even tonight) buy external HDs. Plug n play? My cock it is. Don't buy eMachines, they appear to be shit. Certainly they have a crippled BIOS. Anyone got any ideas? Another £160 down the toilet. Marvellous.

Pinball

Quote from: "xerode"
Quote from: "Pinball"Personally I prefer USB 2.0 external 300GB drives, but there's just so many USB ports on a PC!!

Buy a USB hub?
I wish I had, mate.

Timmay

I'm not certain about this, but does it indicate anywhere in the instructions whether by installing that controller card, it replaces your existing on-board controller? I thought that when you installed a new ATA controller card, it either automatically took your existing ones place, or you had to disable your existing one for it to replace it.

Try moving all your existing internal drives onto that new PCI controller card, disable your on-board IDE/ATA controller through the BIOS, and see how that gets on.

As for why Windows may not recognise the drive, there's no point looking at it through Explorer - if it's not partitioned, you'll never see it under there. Does it actually exist under the Device Manager in the Control Panel? How about right-clicking My Computer, selecting Manage, and going to the Disk Management section? Anything under there?

Pinball

I've tried every combination of connecting up disks - doesn't work. It thinks the new HD is 31GB when it's 300GB. It then wouldn't boot up & worryingly said "unable to read operating system". I took off IDE plug from new (slave) HD and working normally again.

What a headache. Amazing that even now the manufacturers don't have their shit together. The PC is only 9 months old, albeit obviously a shit PC (don't touch eMachines with a bargepole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

I'm having a rest now, with the new HD disconnected, so I can do my daily radio encoding. But frankly I'm minded to take a hammer to the new HD and then return to shop as faulty goods. And then buy another external 300GB, which work perfectly, and simply plug-n-play. I feel an idiot for buying an internal HD. It really isn't worth the effort. I'm not an IT expert, but I'm also no dunce.

Maybe the motherboard firmware or whatever the fuck can be updated. Maybe I'll try later, maybe I'll order an external HD. Right now I don't fucking know. But I tell you this - I'm sick of half-assed shit quality products that don't plug n play like they should. Given that HDs is all they do, they should have fucking tested it!!!

Still Not George

Quote from: "Pinball"But I tell you this - I'm sick of half-assed shit quality products that don't plug n play like they should. Given that HDs is all they do, they should have fucking tested it!!!

You have 2 choices, Pinball. You can either have hardware that all comes from the same manufacturer and all works the same, perfectly with each other, and which doesn't develop particularly fast - oh, and which costs a fortune. Or you can have lots of companies, lots of cheap hardware, and incompatibilities.  Your choice. Everyone's choice.

Timmay

I'm sure it does work. I doubt they'd have supplied two pieces of hardware as a kit, for them not to work with eachother.

When it says "unable to read operating system", that usually means that it's probably trying to boot off the wrong disk - especially if removing the cable to the new drive fixes it. You need to check the boot order in the BIOS.

Forget that it reads it as a 31GB drive - that may not be a problem, yet. Remember what I said before; even though your BIOS may not be able to access the whole drive, you can try Intel Application accelerator, which may allow you to access the whole thing through Windows.

easytarget

Earlier this year I installed a 200Gb drive in my machine, Windows XP could only see 133Gb of space.

I did this:
Opened the Computer Management dealy (right click My Computer and select Manage or Run compmgmt.msc)
Clicked on disc management
Observed my drive with 133Gb of partitioned (and almost entirely used up) space and 67Gb of unpartitioned space.
Right clicked on the unpartitioned space and clicked (I think) "add partition".
A wizard appeared
Clicked through the default options that the wizard suggested and another hard disc with 67Gb free appeared.

Windows treated this as a separate drive (which was a bit annoying) – but I got my space.

That is my disc drive story, I've no idea if this will work for you.

Good luck.

peet

I had similar problems recently when I got a 250gb Maxtor drive, to start with having the drive attached in any configuration (either as master or slave to another drive which had windows installed) was causing memory dump restarts all over the place and only 137gb was recognised. After hours of googling tech sites and pissing about the following steps seemed to work:
1) Installing maxtor big drive enabler
2) updating all my windows service packs and doing something I can't quite remember that I found on the microsoft knowledge base possibly similar to this (i'm running win2000pro not xp though)
3) manually extending the size of the original drive partition with PartitionMagic (got off soulseek)

Baltimora

Hello. Simple problem I'm sure for you clever whores. I've just started this BitTorrent malarky and downloaded one of the Armando Iannucci shows in avi format. Very excited, imagine my disappointment when I tried to play it only to have an error downloading the codec. I'm getting the audio but no picture using Windows Media Player. Any help would be gratefully received.

mook