Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:18:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TONIGHT: Programme about John Mayall

Started by Neil, August 20, 2004, 09:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

QuoteJohn Mayall

Time: 23:35 to 00:35 (1 hour long).
When: Friday 20th August on BBC 2
Click to find all other showings of this programme
(The Godfather of British Blues) Profile tracing the colourful career of one of the most influential figures in British rock music. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers set Eric Clapton on the road to superstardom in 1966 with their hugely acclaimed 'Beano' album. Among the many other musicians who began their careers with Mayall are Mick Taylor, Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood.

fanny splendid

That was pretty good.

It's just a shame they can't follow the documentary with a live concert.

Neil

Yeah, very much so.  They were building up to that reunion concert through the whole show, then you only get to see a tiny bit of it while the end credits roll.  This has been a great series though, Stanshall, Robert Wyatt, John Mayall...anyone know who is next?

Isn't there a gram parsons one still to come? I've really enjoyed the stanshall and richard tompson ones. Richard thompson more so because it got me onto his music.

I hadn't really heard John Mayall's music, along with alexis corner i'm always hearing him referenced but never bought any of his albums. It was a good programme though, i was mightily impressed by his bloody massive tree house that he and his wife lived in. There can't be that many former tree dwelling r n b guys out there.

Silver SurferGhost

I think the Mayall one was the last in the series wasn't it, I'm sure the Gram Parsons one has already been shown again, along with these:

Richard Thompson
Martin Carthy
Gil Scott Heron
Viv Stanshall
Robert Wyatt
John Mayall

I think that was the series, seven in all.
Let's hope there's another series though, they were all great and there are still plenty of people worth doing...

Neil

I saw a show about Gram Parsons a few weeks ago and thought it was part of a different strand.  There was an Emmylou Harris one they understandably partnered it with.  The Gram Parsons one was very good, really made it apparent just how horrible the circumstances surrounding his passing were.  Seeing the reactions of his family was very sad indeed.

Neil

Quote from: "A few weeks ago I"I saw a show about Gram Parsons a few weeks ago and thought it was part of a different strand.  There was an Emmylou Harris one they understandably partnered it with.  The Gram Parsons one was very good, really made it apparent just how horrible the circumstances surrounding his passing were.  Seeing the reactions of his family was very sad indeed.

Just noticed that this is on BBC2 in about 40 minutes:

Time: 23:35 to 01:05 (1 hour and 30 minutes long).
When: Friday 24th September on BBC 2
Click to find all other showings of this programme
Profile of the late country rock star Gram Parsons, the hugely influential founder of the Flying Burrito Brothers who died in 1973 at the age of 26. Contributors include Chris Hillman, Keith Richards, Bernie Leadon and Emmylou Harris.