Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:06:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars News

Started by SteveDave, April 29, 2014, 06:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Phantom Menace was worth it just to get the stories from Peter Serafinowicz.

About 14 minutes in:
https://soundcloud.com/britishcomedyguide/richard-herring-lst-podcast-12-peter-serafinowicz

Big Jack McBastard

They get one chance to not fuck it up any further, if they introduce another spiritless, douchebag, ham 'actor' kid[nb]or a god-awful cadre of them, this is Disney after-all[/nb] as an the out-of-nowhere NEW!!! protagonist(s) then they can piss off.

Said it before but they'd do well to set it when the Yuuzhan Vong invade on a Galactic scale some 30 years ahead in the Extended Universe and chart that fucking nasty conflict, but they probably won't. Shame cos it would excuse the casting of 4 kids with Jacen, Jaina[nb]might have to fudge that name a bit[/nb], Ben and Anakin MKII as the sprogs of the old cast. They feature fairly heavily and would (sadly for Disney) have to be able to act, cos it gets proper dark in many places, not least because of how barmy the Vong and their general practises and society are.

Their bodies and ships wouldn't make terribly easy to manufacture toys though, so that's likely another red stripe in the no column on a big whiteboard in the Disney profit analysis/writing room.

Kelvin

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on April 30, 2014, 03:49:27 PM

About 14 minutes in:
https://soundcloud.com/britishcomedyguide/richard-herring-lst-podcast-12-peter-serafinowicz

Loved that. Thanks very much.

SteveDave

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on April 30, 2014, 04:11:07 PM
They get one chance to not fuck it up any further, if they introduce another spiritless, douchebag, ham 'actor' kid[nb]or a god-awful cadre of them, this is Disney after-all[/nb] as an the out-of-nowhere NEW!!! protagonist(s) then they can piss off.

Said it before but they'd do well to set it when the Yuuzhan Vong invade on a Galactic scale some 30 years ahead in the Extended Universe and chart that fucking nasty conflict, but they probably won't. Shame cos it would excuse the casting of 4 kids with Jacen, Jaina[nb]might have to fudge that name a bit[/nb], Ben and Anakin MKII as the sprogs of the old cast. They feature fairly heavily and would (sadly for Disney) have to be able to act, cos it gets proper dark in many places, not least because of how barmy the Vong and their general practises and society are.

Their bodies and ships wouldn't make terribly easy to manufacture toys though, so that's likely another red stripe in the no column on a big whiteboard in the Disney profit analysis/writing room.

But then

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/460842/lucasfilm-declares-all-star-wars-games-non-canon/

Big Jack McBastard

I kind of took that as a given, since the characters in the 'moral play' games like Kotor or Jedi Knight could go either way and thus were unreliable bedrocks to base anything on (they could probably get away with introducing Kyle Katarn though) and fluff like The Force Unleashed never even occurred to me to consider as cannon because it's so obviously OTT and never again remarked upon other than in sequels to its self or that weird Soul Calibur tie-in. Don't think there's any games with Vong in mind you, so I'll consider that a mild sliver of possibility.

QuoteEpisodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe

Quoteprevious expanded universe content has "enriched" the franchise, adding that some aspects will continue to shape the canon going forwards.

QuoteAbrams' trilogy will not sync with previous stories set after Return of the Jedi.

Obviously it couldn't follow on with Truce at Bakura cos the main cast has aged significantly but it could leap ahead and hold together.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on April 30, 2014, 05:06:57 PM
I kind of took that as a given, since the characters in the 'moral play' games like Kotor or Jedi Knight could go either way and thus were unreliable bedrocks to base anything on (they could probably get away with introducing Kyle Katarn though) and fluff like The Force Unleashed never even occurred to me to consider as cannon because it's so obviously OTT and never again remarked upon other than in sequels or that weird Soul Calibur tie-in.....

Lucas was very involved in the story for The Force Unleashed games and from various reports was very concerned in making it canon.

Pretty sure he declared the KOTR non-canon, but I suspect because his fingerprints weren't over it.

Big Jack McBastard

Perhaps Lucas was keen on it but The Force Unleashed was dead-weight shite which they're better off ignoring, so can't blame them for cutting it loose.

Where in that list of filmed cannon materials is Caravan of Courage and the hideous Holiday Special I ask? Where oh where?

Replies From View

What they could do is remake episodes 4-6 so that they fit with episodes 1-3, and then let us have the very original trilogy as a separate thing that they don't need to pretend has anything to do with the new Star Wars stuff.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

See, is Lucas counting the original Trilogy as canon, or the remastered version? Which version of the Mos Eisley Cantina puppets lifeforms were actually there whn Luke and Obi Wan hired Han Solo? Which line-up of Max Rebo's band played at Jabba's palace? It's all so complicated!

Replies From View

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on April 30, 2014, 06:50:41 PM
See, is Lucas counting the original Trilogy as canon, or the remastered version? Which version of the Mos Eisley Cantina puppets lifeforms were actually there whn Luke and Obi Wan hired Han Solo? Which line-up of Max Rebo's band played at Jabba's palace? It's all so complicated!

For Lucas it's the remastered version that is canon, insofar as its those that follow on from the prequel trilogy and that is what counts to him.  He hasn't been shy in his efforts to erase the originals from existence, and probably considers them about as useless as the Holiday Special.

As for which remastered version, which would be a reasonable question if you'd asked it, I presume the most recent one, but they're much of a muchness aren't they really.

El Unicornio, mang

About 14 minutes in:

The Terence Stamp anecdote in that had me in stitches

mobias

Quote from: Replies From View on April 30, 2014, 11:51:15 AM
Are there really young people today who grew up on the special editions, the prequels and cartoons and actually feel the Star Wars name means anything?

Frighteningly yes there is as far as I can tell. The popularity of Star Wars merchandise is such that movies are actually almost secondary to the lego sets, console games, figurines, books and all the rest of the peripheral stuff out there. Kids love the prequels as much as or even more than the original trilogy as far as I can tell from various nephew's and nieces. All the young people I know are obsessed with Star Wars just as much as I ever was at their age in the early 80's.

Never underestimate the power of the dark side of what George Lucas created when he made the prequels.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 30, 2014, 07:46:06 PM
The Terence Stamp anecdote in that had me in stitches

Likewise, the confession that he fancied
Spoiler alert
Nathalie Portman in Leon
[close]
made me burst out laughing. As did the words
Spoiler alert
"A Child's Stencil Set".
[close]

Quote from: mobias on April 30, 2014, 08:17:26 PM
Frighteningly yes there is as far as I can tell. The popularity of Star Wars merchandise is such that movies are actually almost secondary to the lego sets, console games, figurines, books and all the rest of the peripheral stuff out there. Kids love the prequels as much as or even more than the original trilogy as far as I can tell from various nephew's and nieces. All the young people I know are obsessed with Star Wars just as much as I ever was at their age in the early 80's.

Never underestimate the power of the dark side of what George Lucas created when he made the prequels.

I used to struggle to believe that but then discovered my Godson's an obsessive Star Wars fan, as our many of his friends, and the amount of new merchandise regularly produced is amazingly high. Apparently he enjoys the prequels as much as the original trilogy too, but then he is only eight and so currently stupid.

phantom_power

I am vaguely optimistic about this. The Star Wars universe is a rich one, full of interesting characters and ideas. This is the best thing that Lucas left the series with. The set-up from those first three films really does give a writer and director some gold to work with. I am also trying not to be cynical about it and though obviously the studios are all about the Benjamins I think the creative people would relish the chance to tell stories in this world.

Also, the Clone Wars TV series, the main Star Wars thing to date with no Lucas input, is the best thing set in this universe since the original trilogy.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: phantom_power on May 01, 2014, 09:36:15 AM...Also, the Clone Wars TV series, the main Star Wars thing to date with no Lucas input, is the best thing set in this universe since the original trilogy.

There was no input with the first show (2D), but there was with the second (CGI).

With the first one, Lucas was tied up with the film prequels, which meant that Genndy Borisovich was allowed to get on with it as he pleased. However, with the second one, Lucas was involved – and of course, they kicked off with a movie, which was panned.

Very much agree with you about the wealth of material for future films.

Ant Farm Keyboard

About 14 minutes in:

Don't forget Mr. Plinkett's video reviews for Red Letter Media. As some celebrity said on Twitter, the release of the final installment was expected with more enthusiasm than the actual Episode III.

So far, the casting for Episode VII is pretty great, which is in line with Abrams' track record. Even for Star Trek, Abrams put together actors who weren't carbon copy of the originals and made an impression. The script didn't always give them enough screen time, but it would be hard to find a better fit for Kirk or McCoy than the guys he chose.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 01, 2014, 05:03:10 PM
Don't forget Mr. Plinkett's video reviews for Red Letter Media. As some celebrity said on Twitter, the release of the final installment was expected with more enthusiasm than the actual Episode III.

So far, the casting for Episode VII is pretty great, which is in line with Abrams' track record. Even for Star Trek, Abrams put together actors who weren't carbon copy of the originals and made an impression. The script didn't always give them enough screen time, but it would be hard to find a better fit for Kirk or McCoy than the guys he chose.

I don't know; while I'm not a fan of Star Trek and I didn't especially like Kirk as a person during Shatner's gig, I never wanted him to outright fail as I did with the latest incarnation.

Mister Six

About 14 minutes in:

Why does Serafinowicz sound Irish so often in that? Does he live in Ireland? Keeps creeping through his voice.

phantom_power

He is a bit scouse isn't he? Is that what you can hear? Or maybe he has done Wogan for so long he can't stop himself

Replies From View

Which bit of him is Scouse?  Just his voice?

Custard

Rumours abound (I think I read it on Den Of Geek) that there might be a young female lead goodie, like Katniss in Hunger Games

So that's a bit different, isn't it?

Bet they've literally hired Jennifer Lawrence. And called her Natkiss, or something

SteveDave

The story must be 3 kids of Han & Leia (twins & a thin boy) all trained by Uncle Luke. The thin boy goes bad. Action ensues. Contains mild peril & one sexual swearword.

Custard

SteveDave

Right at the very end.

Child #1 "We'll find him (the thin one)"
Luke "You'd better or this might be the end of the galaxy"
Luke walks away
Child #2 "Cunt"

Quote from: SteveDave on May 03, 2014, 12:48:58 AM
The thin boy goes bad. Action ensues.

I must spend too much time on here, as I read this as "thin boy goes bald".

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on May 03, 2014, 02:00:28 PM

What greater reason is there to become evil?

Replies From View

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on May 03, 2014, 02:00:28 PM

So did I!

Old Nehamkin

SteveDave

Attack Of The Clones was on an ITV yesterday & I watched it whilst waiting for food to arrive (take away Italian...classy) & even though I know I've seen it, I had no recollection of anything. Rose Byrne's in it! Rose Byrne!