Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:16:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Not The Nine O'Clock News

Started by Stevie81, May 01, 2014, 10:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: studpuppet on June 26, 2019, 08:31:44 PM
*The original shooting script suggests 'khyber' as an alternate to 'anus'.

They made the correct decision.
"...bracken up me anus" is fucking perfect.

non capisco

"Spent all day just crawling through the grass/Thistles in me hair and bracken up me anus" is my favourite bit of the Two Ninnies song, interesting that it may have been a last minute substitution.

EDIT: Snap, Greggles.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 26, 2019, 09:59:57 PM
They made the correct decision.
"...bracken up me anus" is fucking perfect.

"We're titting up and down on the willy bum goolie" runs it a close second.

non capisco

I'm a raven maniac
Got half a dozen chicks in me bivouac
I love to see them squirm with delight
When I'm giving them me little bit of worm at niiiiiight

The whole thing is still thrillingly scabrous.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Mel Smith Barkerface as he delivers those lines is an absolute delight.

EOLAN

Quote from: studpuppet on June 26, 2019, 08:31:44 PM
CORBETT
We shall, however, continue to make frequent references to Raquel Welch.

BARKER
Who's pushing 50 and hasn't made a film for nearly 20 years.

So Welch is now pushing 90. She seems to have been pervasive in my life despite never watching any of her major work. think it mainly because of Terry Jones childishly saying how he would "Want Raquel Welch dropped on top of " him. She does seem to get quite a fair range of comedy mentions; with Seinfeld maybe the only thing I have seen her in (if I remember that right).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: EOLAN on June 27, 2019, 10:46:35 AM
So Welch is now pushing 90. She seems to have been pervasive in my life despite never watching any of her major work. think it mainly because of Terry Jones childishly saying how he would "Want Raquel Welch dropped on top of " him. She does seem to get quite a fair range of comedy mentions; with Seinfeld maybe the only thing I have seen her in (if I remember that right).
She was only 41 when she was accused of " pushing 50 " in that sketch. Bit sexist.

TheMonk

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 26, 2019, 10:06:03 PM
"We're titting up and down on the willy bum goolie" runs it a close second.
I'm all for "Piddling about in the bum plop piss" myself

koeman

I've always been partial to: 'With a bum, tit, how's your father? Whoops, tickle a dildo.'

Quote from: Solid Jim on June 25, 2019, 12:57:06 AM
I recall hearing the opposite: that the submitted sketch was about a racist policeman repeatedly arresting the same man, but the absurd nature of the charges was added in subsequently by the main writing team. Can anyone remember where this was discussed? It doesn't appear to be elaborated on in the Not Again documentary.

I also remember this. I'm sure John Lloyd said it, but annoyingly I can't think where.

DrGreggles

Was it on the Radio 4 reunion show?

koeman

It could have been, but I'm sure I remember actually watching him talk about it. I thought it might be Comedy Connections, but I skimmed through it the other day and I don't think they covered that sketch.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: EOLAN on June 27, 2019, 10:46:35 AMSo Welch is now pushing 90. She seems to have been pervasive in my life despite never watching any of her major work.

Talking Pictures TV showed the infamous One Million Years B.C. last Friday morning, so it'll probably be coming round again soon-ish, if you want to catch up.

I saw it a couple of times as a kid, so I didn't watch it again.

Because the PVR didn't have space to record it.

Ambient Sheep

Oh, and she's 78.  Will be 79 in September.  As has been pointed out, The Two Ninnies were a bit off with their dating.

mothman

That's a savage lampooning, but very well observed. But I note it appears to suggest that Barker was the funny one who was just carrying Corbett; is/was that ever the prevailing wisdom? It's likely more true about Morecambe & Wise (who seem to have escaped any serious mockery from alternative comedy types, as far as I'm aware), but I don't think anybody questions Corbett's comedic talents these days...

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: mothman on June 29, 2019, 09:40:18 AM
That's a savage lampooning, but very well observed. But I note it appears to suggest that Barker was the funny one who was just carrying Corbett; is/was that ever the prevailing wisdom?

There's a thing Armando Iannucci says on a DVD commentary somewhere, that he used to hate musical guests on The 2 Ronnies because he'd be impatiently waiting to see more Ronnie Barker. "Not so much Ronnie Corbett..." There was for a long time a fashionable view that Corbett was the less talented junior partner, because he was more of a trad showbizzy sort of light ent personality, while Barker was a more serious and substantial actor/writer who immersed himself in roles (what we might today call the Coogan/Brydon dichotomy). It's not an unfair characterisation, but the idea that Corbett was any less of a funny or capable performer is ludicrous. That line about "he makes sure I get all the crappy bits" always made me mildly furious, as any search back over cab discussions of The 2 Ninnies over the last 15 years will attest!

kalowski

Quote from: EOLAN on June 27, 2019, 10:46:35 AM
Python also had that great line, "I would tax Raquel Welch. I've a feeling she'd tax me."

I loved the Two Ronnies and I also loved the Two Ninnies, although Barker hated it didn't he?

DrGreggles

Quote from: kalowski on June 29, 2019, 04:55:02 PM
I loved the Two Ronnies and I also loved the Two Ninnies, although Barker hated it didn't he?

And reportedly tried to get NTNOCN taken off air, but I believe Corbett thought it was funny.

Ronnie C's 'jokes' are now my favourite bits whenever I see Two Ronnies repeats. I used to hate them as a kid (along with the musical guests), but that was before I realised that it was all about the journey rather than the destination.

Barker's monologues were exactly as inferred in the Two Ninnies though. Brilliantly performed, but really just a mix of (admittedly impressive) vocal dexterity and basic innuendo.

The musical guests were still shit though.

studpuppet

I still love the Minister of Communications one, because I can imagine the fun he must have had, working in the lines 'What the fuck' and 'get pissed together', and knowing they'd get past the BBC sensor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NjL8MLwZow

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: studpuppet on June 29, 2019, 09:12:06 PM
I still love the Minister of Communications one, because I can imagine the fun he must have had, working in the lines 'What the fuck' and 'get pissed together', and knowing they'd get past the BBC sensor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NjL8MLwZow

Very quiet recording, but this is the apex for me. "Back to back noses to the wall best foot forward knees together and legs astride, we must all push in the same direction."

"Women are, in a sense, lumped together. At least the ones I know are."

"Dr Kissinger, of whom it has been said many times, and indeed who am I, er I repeat, er... who am I? (checks inside jacket) Ah yes. Who am I, a mere Moss Bros, to argue?"

DrGreggles

Solid Jim

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 30, 2019, 12:25:47 AM
Pure spun gold: https://youtu.be/y0C59pI_ypQ

This sketch was written by David Renwick, and a version of it previously appeared in The Burkiss Way.

The Burkiss Way also featured the 'gramophone' sketch, which subsequently found its way into an episode of Not The Nine O'Clock News. Thus, we come full circle!

Love their sketch with the Old Grey Whistle Test credits, with a second man as a white outline fighting the kicking dancer made of stars, and getting kicked in the balls.

Replies From View

Quote from: yesitsme on July 25, 2018, 10:23:43 AM
The winner of Best Performance Ever in a Comedy Sketch must go Griff in the 'nobble' sketch.

He does NOTHING. NOTHING! Except a little vindictive smirk and it's hilarious.

Excellent work.

He does very many things.  Recall what Clive James said about Syd Little doing nothing, and contrast with the Griff -

QuoteLittle and Large have one trick, which they work to death. Little tries to sing a song while Large keeps interrupting him with impersonations. Large is a gifted impersonator, but Little's lack of inspiration is scarcely ameliorated by making a point of it. Little is not pretending to be just standing there, he is just standing there. Meanwhile Large knocks himself out. There is a certain terrible fascination to it, like watching two men share one parachute.

neveragain

Can't remember the nobble sketch.

Pinball

Still waiting for a boxset before I cark it (yes, I've downloaded it).

DrGreggles

Quote from: Pinball on July 02, 2019, 05:00:32 PM
Still waiting for a boxset before I cark it (yes, I've downloaded it).

Even full series 1?
I've only got the Aussie edits.

Pinball

neveragain

Wow! I've only seen the shortest low-quality glimpses of s1.

weirdbeard

Sorry for the bump, but I'm led to believe that this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZQko-rOqU is the complete series 1 episode 1, and the rest of the series is on the same channel.