Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:41:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Back to Normal" with Eddie Monsoon (Comic Strip)

Started by Kevin Turvey, May 14, 2014, 01:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Turvey

I'm a fanatic about The Comic Strip Presents. I have the book of scripts from the 1st series, including the infamous and never-aired "Back to Normal with Eddie Monsoon". I wonder if any (or all) of it was produced and if so, has it ever seen the light of day?

I adore "Eddie Monsoon, A Life?", though I think I might be in a minority there (no one ever seems to mention it as a favorite).  All the characterizations, like Peter as Tiny Townsend, just kill me. So I've seen the episode several times and noticed a few things. One newspaper article shown is a real article, about the real Comic Strip episode that was scrapped, and not about the fictional Monsoon. If you pause you can just make it out. The list that Michael White gives of the show's problems are all from the real "Back to Normal" script ("the cruelty to animals segment, the item on how to put big things in your mouth...").  And there is a brief clip shown of the fictional "Back to Normal" that strikes me as being from the real one.

So, does anyone know if it was actually made? And if it is possible to view it?

Tiny Poster

Isn't that the bit from Eddie Monsoon: A Life?

Blumf

Ignatius_S

I don't think there's anything that's emerged to suggest that shooting was started, let alone finished – and the various reports are pretty consistent in saying that it didn't get past the script stage.

I have wondered if the published script was the proposed one or there was a bit of mischief.

Quote from: Tiny Poster on May 14, 2014, 01:41:29 PM
Isn't that the bit from Eddie Monsoon: A Life?

Aye – and as the SOTCAA article says, the recorded lines diverge from the published script. Of course, it might be that the published script wasn't the shooting one, but I think it's simply to assume that the footage was done for A Life.

Kevin Turvey

Thanks for the replies everyone! That article is particularly illuminating, filling in some new information for me. I agree now that it probably was never actually filmed. As far as whether the script as published was ever really meant to be made, that's hard to say. It is well over the top, in terms of sheer grossness. It's also the only script credited to ALL the main cast members. 

That article link above also has a reprint of the whole script, for anyone who'd like to read it without buying the book. It's pretty interesting.

I can't get enough of Jennifer Saunders as that bizarre ex-wife.
"Gin, Mr. Bilbow? Or can I call you Tommy?"
"It's Tony, actually"
"Whichever you prefer"