Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:53:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amiga question

Started by madhair60, May 16, 2014, 09:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Does anyone know how to put Amiga ADF files onto Amiga floppy discs for playing on an Amiga?

Neil

I love you.  Let's have man-babies.  And teach them to appreciate Turrican.

madhair60

Sometimes a man just wants to play Moonstone on an Actual Amiga without paying 300 quid for the privelege.

MojoJojo

Not sure it's possible. I seem to remember you could use dos disks on an amiga, but not the other way around, for some boring technical reason that couldn't be solved in software.

That's from when my amiga was current though. My first approach would be to get some sort of network attached to the amiga. I'm assuming an amiga could write an adf to a disk. I could probably write the code to do that myself, if I spent a week on it.

MojoJojo

I played a demo of moonstone a lot, but found the full game disappointing. Chopping heads off was good.

I should see if my 1200 still works after I accidentally poured Moss into the disk drive. No joystick or mouse though.

Consignia

http://www.lemonamiga.com/help/faq_crossplatform.php

EDIT: I'm sorry, I'm not sure if that's any help. It looks it on the surface, but I'm not sure if it does the writing to floppy part.

syntaxerror

it is  possible - i looked into it a few years back as i still  have a working A1200 but decided it was too difficult, and given that emulation is so easy, hardly worth it. I thought i already replied in this thread but I guess I didn't.

I've never tried it myself but this looks like the easiest method (if you have an Amiga 600 or 1200, like)

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=440

lazarou

I was struggling to remember what I'd used for that a few years ago until I saw chops' link. That's the one, works quite well.

It's more of a faff in the short term, but I'd recommend installing a CF hard disk instead. You can fit WHDload-compatible versions of most of the Amiga library on one of those, and have them all at your fingertips with vastly improved loading times to boot. This would do the trick: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=883

Replies From View

I remember about 14 years ago discovering emulators and thinking "brilliant; I will finally be able to check out the 16 bit Amiga versions of the Dizzy games!"

Incorrect, because while I could emulate the Spectrum, NES etc with no problem, the Amiga emulation required some kind of extra complicated thing that you could only easily have if you actually owned an Amiga computer.  And the guy I knew who actually had a functioning Amiga wouldn't flipping share it with me so I could play the 16 bit Dizzy games.  Even in 2000 I thought this was an unnecessarily ungenerous response since we were talking about a decade old, largely obsolete system.

How time flies.  But whenever I've been curious enough since then to check out Amiga emulation it hasn't looked any less complicated or impossible, so I can only conclude that Amiga owners are some fucking stubborn cunts who will never, ever share their 16 bit Dizzy games.

The Dizzy games are, were, and always will be irredeemable shite so you dodged a bullet there to be honest.

Famous Mortimer

I'd love to put a PC inside an Amiga case, but I'm lazy so what I mean is if someone sold PCs built inside Amigas (or any old computers) I would definitely buy one,

madhair60

Quote from: waste of chops on May 19, 2014, 08:59:41 AM
The Dizzy games are, were, and always will be irredeemable shite so you dodged a bullet there to be honest.

It's times like this I really, really miss Jemble Fred.

Replies From View

Quote from: waste of chops on May 19, 2014, 08:59:41 AM

You don't like any computer games at all, I suspect.

great_badir

Quote from: madhair60 on May 16, 2014, 10:15:24 PM
Sometimes a man just wants to play Moonstone on an Actual Amiga without paying 300 quid for the privelege.

You can get £300 for an Amiga?!?!?!?!

Why did I take my perfectly working Amiga 500+ down the tip????  WHYYYYYYY??????????? (rhetorical)

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

NoSleep

Nah... Moonstone is fetching £300 on Amazon.

mcbpete

Quote from: Replies From View on May 19, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
whenever I've been curious enough since then to check out Amiga emulation it hasn't looked any less complicated or impossible, so I can only conclude that Amiga owners are some fucking stubborn cunts who will never, ever share their 16 bit Dizzy games.
You can get executable versions of the games which don't need any fancy pants stuff - http://thecompany.pl/
They're basically the game and and a configured emulator in a standalone package

syntaxerror

Quote from: Replies From View on May 19, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
I remember about 14 years ago discovering emulators and thinking "brilliant; I will finally be able to check out the 16 bit Amiga versions of the Dizzy games!"

Incorrect, because while I could emulate the Spectrum, NES etc with no problem, the Amiga emulation required some kind of extra complicated thing that you could only easily have if you actually owned an Amiga computer.  And the guy I knew who actually had a functioning Amiga wouldn't flipping share it with me so I could play the 16 bit Dizzy games.  Even in 2000 I thought this was an unnecessarily ungenerous response since we were talking about a decade old, largely obsolete system.

How time flies.  But whenever I've been curious enough since then to check out Amiga emulation it hasn't looked any less complicated or impossible, so I can only conclude that Amiga owners are some fucking stubborn cunts who will never, ever share their 16 bit Dizzy games.

All you need is the amiga kickstart rom files to get an emulator like WinUAE to work - the copyright of these is still enforced afaik so thats why they're not easily available. Furthermore, you need to make sure you're running a game that is compatible with the model of Amiga you're trying to emulate. It might not be obvious if you've never had an Amiga, but its not too taxing.

Replies From View

Cheers guys I shall check those options out.

mcbpete

Quote from: syntaxerror on May 19, 2014, 03:35:33 PM
the copyright of these is still enforced afaik so thats why they're not easily available.
Yes unbelievably the system roms are still for sale commercially from the company Cloanto who purchased them from Commodore (well and the million different companies that owned Amiga for a bit in the late 90s/early 00s) - http://www.amigaforever.com/plus/

weekender

No, sorry, don't know. 

I just wanted you to click this thread excitedly in case there was a solution.

Which, by now, you should have realised there isn't.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: syntaxerror on May 19, 2014, 03:35:33 PM

Furthermore, you need to make sure you're running a game that is compatible with the model of Amiga you're trying to emulate. It might not be obvious if you've never had an Amiga, but its not too taxing.

I remember even the 500+ couldn't play some games that the 500 could (Lost Patrol was one)

MojoJojo

Yes, kickstart was advanced but without a mmu they couldn't stop developers breaking forward compatibility. Although enforcing that would have probably stopped developers bothering at all.

I'd guess you emulate a 1200 for AGA games, and a 500 for everything else, maybe with the ram expansion.

I don't think there were any games that didn't run on either, but those were the two I had, so I would have ignored anything else.

biggytitbo

It's not that hard to get the Amiga emulators to work, I played bills tomato game and head over heels on recently on one of them and I'm no Issac Einstein.

syntaxerror

About 10 years ago someone made a remake of HoH and it was bloody good. cba to post a link, you probably already know about it. google it.

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: mcbpete on May 19, 2014, 02:46:11 PM
You can get executable versions of the games which don't need any fancy pants stuff - http://thecompany.pl/
They're basically the game and and a configured emulator in a standalone package

Thanks for this link, but a warning to everyone: I d/l Lemmings from there earlier and AVG flagged up Crypt3.FRK trojan horse and removed it. For balance, I also d/l protracker 2in1 and it passed AVG's scan.

biggytitbo

Quote from: syntaxerror on May 19, 2014, 08:53:15 PM
About 10 years ago someone made a remake of HoH and it was bloody good. cba to post a link, you probably already know about it. google it.

Know it, played it, completed it!

lazarou

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 19, 2014, 09:09:26 AM
I'd love to put a PC inside an Amiga case, but I'm lazy so what I mean is if someone sold PCs built inside Amigas (or any old computers) I would definitely buy one,
No Amigas as of yet, but this lad does a bunch of vintage micros retrofitted as USB keyboards, along with a few that have had the guts stripped out and fitted with Raspberry Pis. Pricey though.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: lazarou on May 20, 2014, 03:55:24 AM
No Amigas as of yet, but this lad does a bunch of vintage micros retrofitted as USB keyboards, along with a few that have had the guts stripped out and fitted with Raspberry Pis. Pricey though.
That is fantastic! If they were a little bit cheaper I'd definitely be buying one.

syntaxerror

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 20, 2014, 06:31:12 AM
That is fantastic! If they were a little bit cheaper I'd definitely be buying one.

Hmm, I could see a market for these. The pricing is wrong though, and I'd like some kind of reassurance of the build quality. Considering you can buy any of those computers in working order for less money, I can't see the point just yet.