Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

St(r)eam Box

Started by Schlippy, May 23, 2014, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schlippy

So Steam's in-home streaming is now out of beta and open to all, has anybody had a go with this yet? I took the plunge last year and finally got a "proper" gaming rig, and the only downside so far has been the loss of social, living room gaming. The thought of a "comfy couch" streaming option that runs on the box upstairs and plays on the telly has got me salivating.

I guess any problems with vsync / image latency / controller latency will depend on the strength and speed of the home network involved, and I wouldn't be adverse to running some cables about the place if that's what it takes. I'd imagine that any games with inherent latency issues (Rocksmith, SF4 etc) are going to suffer even more, but whatevs.

So at the minute I've got a carcass sitting around with a single-core (I think) 2Ghz HT processor, and an HD6670 (literally the cheapest card in the local shop when my 8800 went up in smoke) in it - does this sound like it's got enough grunt to work as the encode/decode relay rig under the telly? The card's got HDMI out, and despite being anemic as all fuck it's at least got native h264 support. The case is ugly as all sin, but who fucking cares, I'll get the poster paints out if it works.

The other option would be rooting my (now mostly idle) Nexus 7, installing Linux and using that instead, but that kinda seems like the long way round and would obviously bugger up a perfectly good tablet.

So did anyone sign up for the beta, or jump on board in the last few days? Would love to hear any first-hand experiences with this.

Zetetic

You can use wireless controllers connected to the host box fine, for what it's worth - might help with some latency sensitive stuff if that's viable in your setup.

Schlippy

Cheers, that was something else I meant to bring up - I've currently got a wireless 360 controller going into the main box, and I assume I can keep that in place seeing as it's less than 20 feet in a straight line between the living room and the receiver. Not sure how the Rocksmith adapter would work, but fuck it, it's only the one game.

Nice to know anyways, thanks.