Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Phil Collins...Cunt?

Started by Johnny Textface, June 01, 2014, 10:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Fuck Led Zep and fuck Abba. Phil played with The fucking Action!

Mark Steels Stockbroker

But Seriously was the favourite album for the sort of cunt who shortly afterwards decided Achtung Baby was a bit too weird and mind-bendingly experimental. And 10 years on they were buying skiploads of Oasis and MSP albums as well. Cunts.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on June 02, 2014, 08:49:44 PM
But Seriously was the favourite album for the sort of cunt who shortly afterwards decided Achtung Baby was a bit too weird and mind-bendingly experimental. And 10 years on they were buying skiploads of Oasis and MSP albums as well. Cunts.

My dads gonna kick you in the stomach after you shag my mum you FUCK

Natnar

I do find it interesting in how two guys (Phil Collins & Peter Gabriel) can start from the same group and end up having wildly different credibility levels.

Crabwalk

Jamie Oliver is fat

Genesis were a band I listened to a lot as a kid as they were one of the bands my parents and their friends played at parties/on holiday etc, I guess they were all "those sort of cunts"

Can't call myself a fan of Collins or Genesis really but they sit in a long line of bands that evoke memories of those childhood parties - The Police, Springsteen, The Who, Dire Straits, Vandross, Fleetwood Mac

The guy can really sing, and Turn it on again is one of many great songs he was involved with

moderate thumbs up from me

great_badir

I realise that we haven't actually properly answered one of the original questions, i.e. song recommendations.  So, here are mine:

Most of the album Face Value, but particularly In the Air Tonight, The Roof is Leaking/Droned/Hand In Hand, and Tomorrow Never Knows.

From Hello, I Must Be Going! - I Don't Care Anymore and The Westside.

From No Jacket Required - Sussudio (for the craic), and the genuinely brilliant Take Me Home (which seems to be the one Phil Collins song that everyone can admit to liking without fear of repercussions).

From But Seriously - Colours (particularly good live) and the jazz/swing instrumental quickie Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

After which any interest I had in his solo output got tae fuck.  I can also say that Testify (his final solo album of original material...to date) is one of the worst albums I've ever heard, by an artist I like at any rate.  To be fair, I don't think he was all that proud of or keen on it either, both the mini promotional tour in support of the album, and the subsequent "First Farewell Tour" being mainly comprised of older songs.

Amongst his many achievements, musical and not, let's not forget the time he was the drummer, FOR PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE, at the Queen's golden jubilee party.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Natnar on June 02, 2014, 09:33:47 PM
I do find it interesting in how two guys (Phil Collins & Peter Gabriel) can start from the same group and end up having wildly different credibility levels.

Like Morrissey and Mike Joyce.

Johnny Textface

Listened to Face Value from start to finish this morning. Quite enjoyed it although there's quite a bit of filler imho. Didn't like the pace of The Beatles cover either. Certainly don't think it deserved that Classic Album doc. Right, onto the next one. Where do you start with Genesis as a noob? Tar

great_badir

Quote from: Johnny Textface on June 03, 2014, 11:10:13 AM
Where do you start with Genesis as a noob? Tar

Well, as they're my favourite band, I'm probably far too biased to give an objective response.  But I will attempt to anyway.

I would actually start off with one or more of (as they appear chronologically):
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England By the Pound
A Trick of the Tail (first post-Gabriel album)
Wind & Wuthering (their most under rated, in my opinion)

Whatever of those you decide to go for, I would also add these two live albums as essential listening:
Live
Seconds Out

Much as I think The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (their now legendary concept album) is a masterpiece by anyone's standards, and the zenith of the Gabriel era output, I would never recommend it to a Genesis newbie.  It's something you should only listen to if you get on with the rest of it otherwise, like many (but not all) concept albums, however critically regarded, it can just as easily alienate you from the rest of their work.

Finally, just for the fuck of it, here's a video to show what just the three of them could do on stage (skip forward to 4mins if the ballad part isn't your thing):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao34UhjV5ZM

EDIT - also Duke, which is generally considered by most to be the best all-round Collins era album.  I disagree, and it is for the mostpart VERY far removed from "classic" Genesis, but it is a cracking album.

mobias

Quote from: great_badir on June 03, 2014, 12:48:13 PM

Much as I think The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (their now legendary concept album) is a masterpiece by anyone's standards, and the zenith of the Gabriel era output, I would never recommend it to a Genesis newbie.  It's something you should only listen to if you get on with the rest of it otherwise, like many (but not all) concept albums, however critically regarded, it can just as easily alienate you from the rest of their work.

There's possibly some truth in that but it was actually The Lamb that got me into Genesis back when I was a teenager when I thought Marillion were good. The first part of the album is very accessible, the second part perhaps less so. Carpet Crawlers is still one of the most beautiful songs ever written in my opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yUN6CsuVPw It was the Gabriel era of Genesis absolutely as its peak. Selling England by the Pound is probably where I'd start though if I was recommending them to someone. 

Controversial as this may sound I still think the Peter Gabriel era of Genesis is far superior to Pink Floyd of the same era. Just saying.   

23 Daves

Quote from: mobias on June 03, 2014, 06:59:21 PM

Controversial as this may sound I still think the Peter Gabriel era of Genesis is far superior to Pink Floyd of the same era. Just saying.

Most things are. The "Dark Side Of The Moon" to "Animals" period of Pink Floyd is one of the most tediously over-rated run of albums ever.

mobias

Quote from: 23 Daves on June 03, 2014, 08:02:34 PM
Most things are. The "Dark Side Of The Moon" to "Animals" period of Pink Floyd is one of the most tediously over-rated run of albums ever.

At last someone agrees with me about Pink Floyd!

thepuffpastryhangman

Only DSOTM is "Gabriel era Genesis" though. And that's very special work.

I've said it before (but) the missus did some babysitting for Tony Banks a few times. Absolutely nothing at all like a wanker, nothing precious about him, seems to be the popular (of three people I've known) opinion. I've no, even second hand, experience of Collins though.

BlodwynPig

You're kind of wrong. Although Obscured by clouds is of course their best album.

Genesis best:

Wind and Wuthering

Lambs lie down

Trick of the tail

Selling England

thugler

Nothing is as overrated as the Wall!

mobias

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on June 03, 2014, 08:48:25 PM
Only DSOTM is "Gabriel era Genesis" though.

Being pedantic about it yes thats true but I was really talking about all the early to mid 70's Pink Floyd versus all the early to mid 70's Genesis.

The Lamb easily pisses all over The Wall too. (Only when discussing prog do you get a sentence like that )

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Unfortunately Simon Day has now destroyed any credibility these men had with his vicious satire.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I liked that one with the funny video.

Don_Preston

I recommend everyone give this a listen.

Pepotamo1985

I'd side with this, although I do really like Animals - I guess its the boringly unassailable position of DSOTM and WYWH in every '567 BEST ALBUMS YOU'RE OBLIGATED TO LISTEN TO BEFORE YOU CARK IT (AND LIKE)' list ever made. Dark Side has its moments, don't get me wrong, but its massively overrated to my ears, and WYWH is largely terrible.

NoSleep

Don_Preston

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Johnny Textface on June 03, 2014, 11:10:13 AM
Where do you start with Genesis as a noob?

Further to what's already been posted, you absolutely must listen to Selling England By The Pound first. It easily stands up as the Gabriel era's most accessible offering (even though there are two songs clocking in at just over 11 minutes a piece), introducing you to their style and prepping you for the longer stuff from their first few albums at once. It's also their best produced album up until that point (possibly ever, in fact), and contains some of their best material (Firth of Fifth is fucking amazing, in particular).

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: great_badir on June 02, 2014, 10:34:01 PM
From No Jacket Required - Sussudio (for the craic), and the genuinely brilliant Take Me Home (which seems to be the one Phil Collins song that everyone can admit to liking without fear of repercussions).

Add 'Inside Out' to that - wonderful, reverberating arena epic.

great_badir

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on June 04, 2014, 02:56:48 PM
I'd side with this, although I do really like Animals - I guess its the boringly unassailable position of DSOTM and WYWH in every '567 BEST ALBUMS YOU'RE OBLIGATED TO LISTEN TO BEFORE YOU CARK IT (AND LIKE)' list ever made. Dark Side has its moments, don't get me wrong, but its massively overrated to my ears, and WYWH is largely terrible.

Animals and Atom Heart Mother are my favourite Floyd albums, by far.

I do like DSOTM and WYWH, but think they are both over rated in general.

With the exception of Comfortably Numb, I HATE The Wall.  It's just a Waters solo album which happens to feature the rest of Floyd playing on it.

Johnny Textface

Apart from Rick Wright I seem to remember who got sacked off.

Don_Preston

Quote from: Johnny Textface on June 04, 2014, 04:46:40 PM
Apart from Rick Wright I seem to remember who got sacked off.

Well groupies were present during the sessions!