Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:40:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jesus & Mary Chain Psychocandy gigs 2014

Started by Vodka Margarine, June 04, 2014, 01:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodka Margarine

This November... Rare occurance of both Reid brothers being in the same continent, playing that album. Two dates in London, two in Glasgow and one in Manchester.

Anyone else going, or hoping to go?

Apparently it's not 1985 anymore and they've mellowed a bit, so I might just leave my crash helmet at home.

gloria

I'm going to the Manchester one.  Been wanting to see the JAMC for years.  I've loved them since I was a student but I can still never remember which one's William and which one's Jim.

Don_Preston

Quote from: gloria on June 04, 2014, 01:35:37 PM
I'm going to the Manchester one.  Been wanting to see the JAMC for years.  I've loved them since I was a student but I can still never remember which one's William and which one's Jim.

The one that's balding and slim,
You can address him as Jim.
The fat cunt's the other,
That's Will, Jim's brother.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I saw them in early 1986, when they were originally touring "Psychocandy". Backs to the audience, young Bobby G and his stand-up drumkit, gig duration of no more than 27 minutes (my mate timed it). I preferred the support act (The Shop Assistants), meself.  No rioting.

Vodka Margarine

I'm guessing Lisa Theshopassistants didn't have quite the same ring to it.

Spiteface

All sold out bar the second London date, apparently.

Going to the Manchester date. Should be good hopefully, even if they're 30 years older. Wonder if they'll have a standing drummer Gillespie-style for these? I expect a second half of "hits" though, so perhaps not.

Janie Jones

Yes I'm going to the second London gig. This was discussed at the recent London CaB meet and the general consensus was that it'll be terrible shite. Now I think about it, my favourite Jeggers & Meggers song isn't even on Psychocandy but is the comeback single Cracking Up.

Heh, I remember the NME wanking over Psychocandy. Even the name sent them into paroxysms of sycophantic ecstasy because, it's like Psycho which is crazy and scary but it's sweet, like candy, which is how it feels when you're madly in love, so it's proper profound and tortured, kids. Well, we fell for it.

Vodka Margarine

Bearing in mind the entire record is just under 40 minutes long, it's pretty likely there'll be a smattering of 'greatest hits' chucked in for good measure. At least, that tends to be the protocol with these doing-a-whole-album type things and I've been to a few now. I'll be a happy camper indeed if Blues From A Gun or Far Gone And Out get an airing, terrible shite or not.

Nice small venues they've chosen too.

the psyche intangible

I saw them at Mancland on the Rollercoaster Tour whenever that was? It was seated, lol.

chocsucker

I've seen some clips of the recent South American gigs and I found them a bit ropey, tbh.

Been a fan since I first heard "Upside Down" on Dad's car radio. He had to pull over - I think he thought the radio was broken, or something!

I love the first Vandelles album and recommend it to anyone who likes early Mary Chain, before they went a bit electro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrdTG23Qg0M

CaledonianGonzo

I saw them last in 2007 and thought they were cracking.

stunted

Bastards, completely missed they announced a second Glasgow date.

holyzombiejesus

I think I'd have been far more likely to have bought a ticket if this was just a regular tour, rather than the Psychocandy thing. I love that album but recreating something so exciting and unpredictable and lithe, somewhere like the Academy or Barrowlands, won't really work IMO, particularly if they have stuff happening like some session drummer sat down with an earpiece in.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If you miss out on the tickets you can recreate the Psychocandy experience by listening to some static outside on a windy day on cheap headphones.

Neville Chamberlain

Shoulders, you wouldn't be suggesting that Psychocandy is in fact a load of old tosh, now, would you?!?

CaledonianGonzo

The Oscillations Bantz Ladz all prefer Darklands.

vrailaine

Saw them at a festival in 2007 for about 20 minutes before rushing off to see the Beastie Boys, wasn't at all pushed. They're a band I never listened to much though so I should probably give a listen to Darklands or summat (assuming Psychocandy is 12 versions of Just Like Honey here, to be honest)

Spiteface

More tour dates for next year, on sale tomorrow: http://www.gigsandtours.com/tour/the-jesus-and-mary-chain

Had I known they were gonna do Cardiff next year, I might not have spent a stupid amount of money on going to Manchester next week!

Milverton

Cardiff Ice Rink, April 1992 on the Rollercoaster tour. My hearing came back fully last Tuesday.

Puce Moment

Douglas Hart wasn't asked to join on bass.

I'm oot.

Jockice

Have they got Murray Dalglish on drums though? Or is it his brother Kenny?

SteveDave

I'm going to see the Monday show. I'm sat down on a balcony apparently.

I'm looking forward to seeing how wide William is now.

Spiteface

Quote from: Jockice on November 14, 2014, 04:15:23 AM
Have they got Murray Dalglish on drums though? Or is it his brother Kenny?

I'd laugh if it turns out Bobby Gillespie's standing behind the drum "kit" for this one.

Had I known they were gonna do Cardiff next year, I might not have spent a stupid amount of money on going to Manchester next week!

Got my tickets for the Cardiff show. Guess I won't be seeing you there!

Spiteface

I might still go. Depends how much I enjoy tomorrow's gig, and some other stuff...

holyzombiejesus

Guess this is as good a place as any to remind/ let people know of a documentary called The Outsiders that premieres tonight (Wed PM in to Thursday AM) at 12.05am on Channel 4. It's about the Glasgow indie/ School of Art scene in the mid 1980s. I'm hoping for shit loads of Pastels and no Duglas Stewart.

http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/22655/1/what-we-wore-80s-glasgow

CaledonianGonzo

Given the frequency with which he's been tweeting about it that last hope may be in vain.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on November 19, 2014, 08:10:17 PM
Given the frequency with which he's been tweeting about it that last hope may be in vain.

Aw, bollocks pish and bawbags.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just hope the show doesn't do what a lot of these kind of things veer towards- just focus on the bands that became big names and spend about 10 seconds per lesser light.

Vodka Margarine

Good.

Very good.

Unusual hits-then-album set, feedback all present and correct for 'album zone'.

No William lead even on the William lead songs which was a bit odd because he was... there. Physically.

Troxy is a bit of a dump. Woefully under toileted and weird layout. Far away from anywhere. Not a disaster though. Just should've been Brixton.