Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,485
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:32:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

22 Jump Street

Started by SteveDave, June 09, 2014, 01:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I saw 21 Jump Street on the Netflix earlier this year & enjoyed more than I thought it would. The sequel is just as good if not better. I would go so far as to say it's the best sequel I've ever seen.

Self-aware, funny & fast paced. It's almost 2 hours long but it flies by. I highly recommend it.

Quote from: SteveDave on June 09, 2014, 01:06:14 PM
I would go so far as to say it's the best sequel I've ever seen.

Maybe it's just me, but for me, I'd go as far as to say that a film like the Godfather Part 2 is not only the Best Sequel, but also, along with Citizen Kane, one of the greatest films of all time.

I love films.

great_badir

I similarly enjoyed the first one a lot more than I thought I would (having not previously been much of a fan of the TV series), and I take my hat off to Channing Tatum.  He just humbly doesn't give a shit, does he.

I've not seen 22 yet, but have heard a few friends say that it is better and more consistent than the first one (which does sag a little halfway through).

Head Gardener

going tonight, saving GoT for a head to head with 24 tomorrow night
got my fuckin' life sorted!

George Oscar Bluth II

Stay for the end credits, I laughed like a drain.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Bored of Canada on June 09, 2014, 01:19:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but for me, I'd go as far as to say that a film like the Godfather Part 2 is not only the Best Sequel, but also, along with Citizen Kane, one of the greatest films of all time.

I love films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4aguu4Ex0

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 09, 2014, 01:35:48 PM
Stay for the end credits, I laughed like a drain.

Oh, that was brilliant.

It was very funny and the audience at the cinema laughed in pretty much all of the right places. There's nothing worse than when there's a complete gem of a line and no one registers it. Idiots, the lot of 'em.

Also, Ice Cube is great.

George Oscar Bluth II

No-one except me got the gag about
Spoiler alert
Channing Tatum being in White House Down or Olympus Has Fallen or whatever it was called
[close]
. But the place erupted when
Spoiler alert
it's revealed who Maya's dad is. And when Channing Tatum found out who Maya's Dad is.
[close]

All in all, it's a brilliant deconstruction of what a sequel is and manages to be meta without being Abed-in-Community level annoying about it.

Go see. An unreserved recommendation.

madhair60

Can't wait to see this tomorrow; the first one is hilarious!

Stop fuckin' with Korean Jesus!  He ain't got time for your problems, he busy.  With Korean shit!

kidsick5000

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 09, 2014, 02:00:33 PM
Spoiler alert
Channing Tatum being in White House Down or Olympus Has Fallen or whatever it was called
[close]
. But the place erupted when
Spoiler alert
it's revealed who Maya's dad is. And when Channing Tatum found out who Maya's Dad is.
[close]

All in all, it's a brilliant deconstruction of what a sequel is and manages to be meta without being Abed-in-Community level annoying about it.

Go see. An unreserved recommendation.

Are you in the US? I can only imagine that one of your spoilers would have that reaction over there

SteveDave

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 09, 2014, 02:00:33 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

I laughed at that. Myself & my friend were amongst the few who also collapsed at
Spoiler alert
The Benjamin Hill School Of Film
[close]
during the chase.

up_the_hampipe

The one tag on this thread reminded me that the Cate Blanchett joke was met with crickets.

SteveDave

I think a lot of the audience I saw it with missed that too & were waiting for more slapstick.

I loved the whole
Spoiler alert
budget slashed car chase & was almost doubled up in my seat.
[close]

Head Gardener

Spoiler alert
not as funny as I hoped
[close]
still it's better than
Spoiler alert
A Million Ways To Die in the West
[close]

madhair60

This was fantastic.  Absolutely lived up to the original.  Hilarious stuff; the most I've ever heard an audience laugh - there was even clapping!

Ja'moke

I also thought this was great. Self-aware but without ever over-stepping into annoyance. Letting the audience in on the joke is a brilliant move for this kind of movie, it makes you feel part of it, unlike The Hangover sequels which served up the same shit yet did so po-faced, and made it feel more like they were laughing at you for spending money on it.

Good to see Jillian Bell from Workaholics getting her, hopefully, break-out role too.

vrailaine

ooooh, I loved the first one so I might try to string a few people along to this one tomorrow or thursday.

The two Clone High guys are building up a pretty impressive filmography. These two films, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and the Lego Movie.

madhair60

Ja'moke

I forget to mention H. Jon Benjamin as the football coach. Sounding exactly like Archer when he was shouting.