Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:30:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2014/15

Started by thraxx, June 12, 2014, 05:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

This is sort of interesting stuff, comparing all Premier League teams against their results in the same fixtures last season (before the last round of games). Having not really followed the league this season, Arsenal's performance is the one that surprises me the most.

MuteBanana

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 05, 2014, 11:13:56 AM
Does he need an excuse for making wholesale changes to the team that was battered by Madrid 2 weeks ago and was bloody awful against Newcastle last weekend?

How dare he make changes to the under-performing personnel and tactics that haven't been working, and then oversee a far better performance and scoreline against probably the best and most in-form side in Europe.
He's a disgrace!

From what I've seen/heard/read, it's non-Liverpool fans who seem to have a problem with Rodgers' team selection last night.

Better tactics and performances mean dropping most of your first eleven?

Why not drop them for Newcastle so they're fresh for Madrid?

He bottled it. Told the fans there's no point in this game, we'll stay rested for Chelsea. I love him though. He's hilarious.

doppelkorn

phantom_power

With United statistics don't tell the whole tale. They have been much more enjoyable to watch and seem to have some sort of purpose and tactics, which were all absent last season. The bad results this year have been generally down to individual errors rather than general clueslessness. The performances and spirit seem to be improving but results aren't quite following yet.

The point about pedigree giving you more time is reasonable though, and it makes sense. There was always the sense with Moyes that he had been promoted above his ability and that he was lost at United under the pressure. There should be no such doubts about Van Gaal given his career and personality

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThere was always the sense with Moyes that he had been promoted above his ability and that he was lost at United under the pressure he was mediocre but also didn't get enough time

United have obviously been more enjoyable to watch thanks to people like Blind and Di Maria player football for them rather than Tom Cleverley and Ashley Young.

Van Gaal is a big balled son of a bitch, he can cope, so why not just say he hasn't done a very good job either bringing in good defenders or marshalling the ones he has, as so far is the case? Last week it was Smalling with an error, but Man City could've had three penalties and had 3 clear chances to score before the sending off. So what are we saying- it's individual errors if you like the manager and the manager's fault if you don't?

finnquark

QuoteLeft-Wing Soccer. @LeftWingSoccer
Does anybody have any information on Javier Zanetti's politics, that I can email?

dark now my pies

Quote from: MuteBanana on November 05, 2014, 04:19:05 PM
Better tactics and performances mean dropping most of your first eleven?

Why not drop them for Newcastle so they're fresh for Madrid?

He bottled it. Told the fans there's no point in this game, we'll stay rested for Chelsea. I love him though. He's hilarious.

You're bottling it! No one gives a shit about the Real Madrid game apart from you. It's really sad to see you try and make a big thing about Rodgers' team selection. There should be a clinic set up for homeless people with the kind of unhealthy obsessional traits that you show on this thread all the time.

Deanjam

To be fair, United are only 4 points off top four.

Mind you, they're also 4 points off relegation, but you've got to think positive!

doppelkorn

I would love it if they went down. Love it.

monkfromhavana

As interesting as Man utd and Liverpool are, who do you think is going to be the new Motherwell manager?

phantom_power

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 05, 2014, 05:26:58 PM
United have obviously been more enjoyable to watch thanks to people like Blind and Di Maria player football for them rather than Tom Cleverley and Ashley Young.

Van Gaal is a big balled son of a bitch, he can cope, so why not just say he hasn't done a very good job either bringing in good defenders or marshalling the ones he has, as so far is the case? Last week it was Smalling with an error, but Man City could've had three penalties and had 3 clear chances to score before the sending off. So what are we saying- it's individual errors if you like the manager and the manager's fault if you don't?

Obviously better attacking players help but Moyes didn't,, or couldn't, get those sorts of players. I have no problem criticising Van Gaal but I will save it until the time is right. I backed Moyes pretty much until he was sacked so there is no inconsistency there.

The simple fact is I enjoy watching United play again. I can barely think of a match last season that wasn't a dire trawl, even the victories. I have no reason to be kinder to Van Gaal than Moyes anyway. I just call it like I see it, or feel it, and I feel United are going in the right direction, whether it is the money spent or the manager remains to be seen. If we get to March/April and there is the same lack of progress as last season I might get a bit twitcher.

Fans getting criticism for NOT panicking in the face of poor results? That's a new one (not saying that is what you are doing, just going back to the initial point about the press)

Deanjam

Great start for City. Lol.

Danger Man

The City game is good fun...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteFans getting criticism for NOT panicking in the face of poor results?

Indeed, but that would mean more if it wasn't undermined by the fans last year.

chand

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 06, 2014, 08:46:56 AM

Even if we accept the premise that United fans already had no faith in Moyes at this point last year (which isn't true), it's still an entirely different situation from last season.

I started to lose faith in Moyes in December. By mid-February I couldn't see a way back for him. There was nothing to cling on to. We were playing bad football, with the same failing squad, with tactics that didn't fit the players we had. Moyes was a manager who talked of "making it difficult" for Newcastle to play against us at Old Trafford, like we were a plucky League One side taking on the champions. We were directionless and shit, and we hadn't improved even slightly by the time he got sacked.

phantom_power

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 06, 2014, 08:46:56 AM

It's almost like they can't win either way