Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Clickhole (Onion's Buzzfeed Spin-Off.)

Started by Bored of Canada, June 16, 2014, 02:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

This site gets better and better. This one captures the general trite optimism of so many buzzfeed articles without any explicit parody of anything in particular. The repeated word "folks" says it all.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/few-folks-394

BritishHobo

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of sites like Textbroker, the kind-of freelance thing where people give the site requests for specific articles, and you get paid for filling them out, but that's what things like Buzzfeed make me think of. I used it a few years ago, and recently discovered I have about eight euros owed to me, which I can't claim because you have to have at least ten euros - so now I'm doing another one just to hit the limit and get my money.

It's very dispiriting - just taking information other people have reported on, and regurgitating it in a different way, for an article you know is only ever going to be used for the purposes of spam, or getting hits from people mistakenly stumbling upon it while looking for something more interesting.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-actors-you-didnt-know-you-recognize-from-two-iconic-roles/

Bloody Gladstone. The unfunny and rubbish writer with this cushy Cracked column for years. I can't stop myself from reading every one of his terrible posts, just because I'm being a shithead.

BritishHobo

QuoteThink about that. Think about the times you've watched a movie or been talking about movies and had a realization that made you exclaim, "Holy shit! I know this actor from that other movie ... and, like, nothing else I can think of?!"

I'm thinking. Wow! Incredible.

When you have to self-deprecatingly put in a picture of a confused man with a caption saying 'Sorry, what was this article about again?', two paragraphs into the article, and then make the fourth paragraph a 'NOTE TO READER' clarifying further what the first three have said, you might want to make things clearer.

Zetetic

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 29, 2014, 03:52:06 AM
It's very dispiriting - just taking information other people have reported on, and regurgitating it in a different way, for an article you know is only ever going to be used for the purposes of spam, or getting hits from people mistakenly stumbling upon it while looking for something more interesting.
I don't know if you'd find something author-driven like Contributoria less dispiriting, albeit possibly harder to reliably make money out off. To be honest, I've not seen anything particular impressive come out of that process yet.

chand

Quote from: Bored of Canada on June 29, 2014, 04:52:58 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-actors-you-didnt-know-you-recognize-from-two-iconic-roles/

Bloody Gladstone. The unfunny and rubbish writer with this cushy Cracked column for years. I can't stop myself from reading every one of his terrible posts, just because I'm being a shithead.

I can't access this where I am, but I am going to speculate that Saul from Homeland/Inigo Montoya is one of them.

Hahahahahahahahahaaa

BritishHobo

CollegeHumor get in on the game with a video parodying attention spans on the internet

Well... sort of. At first it seemed like it was a Clickhole-style bit of humour, but it gets quite painfully sincere towards the end. Does have a point though. I say this as one of the top 1% of Reddit users.

Gonna go read a book. Do me some book-learnin'.

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 30, 2014, 11:07:36 PM
CollegeHumor get in on the game with a video parodying attention spans on the internet

Well... sort of. At first it seemed like it was a Clickhole-style bit of humour, but it gets quite painfully sincere towards the end. Does have a point though. I say this as one of the top 1% of Reddit users.

Gonna go read a book. Do me some book-learnin'.

That is so insufferable and smug, and the only point it makes is that lecturing someone smugly is uncompelling. People don't want to watch something that's boring. End of story.
The video is boring, and that's the reason no-one watches it. What a fucking embarrassing wanky video.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Bored of Canada on July 01, 2014, 06:44:25 AM
That is so insufferable and smug, and the only point it makes is that lecturing someone smugly is uncompelling. People don't want to watch something that's boring. End of story.
The video is boring, and that's the reason no-one watches it. What a fucking embarrassing wanky video.

It's a shame, because I thought, given that it was on CollegeHumor, that it was going to be a nice Clickhole-style parody of what a waste of time these kinds of videos tend to be. But it ended up just being another 'Look Up' piece of arse-gazing.

Shaky

Loving this site. Everything seems to be done to just the right degree, like the best parodies. Getting a Jack Handey vibe from some of the celeb quotes, as well.

This new vid is amazing -

http://www.clickhole.com/video/little-boys-grandfather-started-cry-and-his-reacti-432

BritishHobo

Hey, I Think Someone Here Left Their Computer Logged In

QuoteNormally, I'd say leaving your computer logged in and disappearing is a pretty stupid thing to do, but it looks like this guy works for some kind of website and according to his profile thing looks like he's some sort of expert in politics, so who knows?

Anyway, this guy's job must be pretty easy. I mean, just typing out his thoughts all day? Hello, world! Welcome to the website! Maybe I could work at this website too. But you probably have to know somebody.

BritishHobo

notjosh

Thursday

Unlike the Onion a lot of these articles actually get funnier as you read them, they don't just repeat the joke, they can twist them or heighten them.

Even this one for instance http://www.clickhole.com/article/no-way-these-celebrities-are-turning-60-month-525?utm_campaign=default&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_source=twitter could be one-note but makes laugh with each iteration of the joke.

imitationleather

"6 Classic Dad Texts" is amazing.

I've never really been a fan of The Onion but for some reason that, Clickhole and even the bladdy Daily Mash have suddenly got really good. We're entering a new era, boys!

BritishHobo

I'm finding it a lot more enjoyable than The Onion because there's such a clear and ridiculous style of writing to parody. It's incredibly satisfying.

"One Clever Dad Organized His Children By Giving Them Each A Different Name" nails it:
"Instead of keeping their kids in color-coded binders or driving themselves crazy trying to memorize their faces and voices, David and Rebecca did something so simple you'll kick yourself for not thinking of it first: They gave each child a distinct name."
Or "No Way These Celebrities Are Turning 60 This Month!" - "Oprah turned 60 back in January of this year. Highly improbable she's turning 60 later this month!"

But some can be a bit patchy. "Which Bing Bong Theory Are You?" is an idea that doesn't get any funnier than its headline.

Thomas

On Every Anniversary Of The Moon Landing, My Thoughts Always Turn To That Horse Neil Armstrong And I Jettisoned Out Of The Airlock

Spoiler alert
And I turned to Neil, and I said, "Neil, that's the best idea you've ever had. Let's launch this fucking horse into the goddamned void."
[close]

BritishHobo

"I would feel visceral shame if I were told that I was Scooter."

This one's a bit obvious, but still fun:

Why Your Mother And I Are Getting Divorced As Explained By 'Orange Is The New Black' GIFs

Quincey

I'd love to see Clickhole parody some Cracked articles, especially their habit of using "insane" in seemingly every other article title.