Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Burton's 'Hansel and Gretel' (1982)

Started by garbed_attic, June 18, 2014, 10:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbed_attic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAbAd4QBL1s

This is a delight. Like many people, I'm not much keen on the new hyper-saturated glib faux-ironic C.G.I. tedium of recent Tim Burton... but I do love early Burton! Mostly the ones in which the plots are rambling, the jokes are daffy and the love of 1950s rinky-dink Americana is on full display. This early work, only ever broadcast on television, predates (the wonderful) Peewee's Bid Adventure by a few years and, narratively, is a pretty straight fairy-tale adaptation. The visuals are sublime though... kind of reminiscent of Mark Beyer's Amy and Jordan comics and the American board-game Candyland. That snappy-mouthed duck from Nightmare Before Christmas even makes an appearance! It's genuinely odd and all seems rather (unintentionally?) Freudian. I don't much like the term 'outsider art' but when Burton's imagination is left unfettered he used to work close to that realm. There's a naivety and affectlessness on display that I find really charming. Anyway, I think some of you who enjoyed Burton's earlier films as sprogs will enjoy this.