Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Techy/legal question

Started by Quincey, June 27, 2014, 05:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quincey

Hello

I've been asked by my local council to send them my last two months' bank statements, which I have done so. However, one of the entries is a month's premium subscription to Rapidgator.net, which I used legally to download a friend's artwork. Is it likely the council will pass on this part of the bank statement to my ISP or the police? Is having signed up to Rapidgator a crime in itself?

Puce Moment

Paypal have frozen accounts before based on RG subs, but I don't think the council would get involved in passing on information about subscribing and I don't believe it is illegal. Paypal state that it indicates a high risk of illegal file-sharing and have come under fire for making that assumption, although I guess they are a private company and can do what they like.

I assume this is perhaps for benefits or a new job, and they want to confirm income, rather than outgoings. And even if they did notice, I don't see how they could legally share the info with anyone, or how you could be prosecuted.

Others may have a different experience.

thraxx

Surely, being grassed up would rely on the person looking at your accounts knowing what rapidgator is?  If they do know about it, it's likely because they use something similar themselves.  I'm guessing that it's not illegal to sign up to, so why would they pass it on?  Just because you took out a supbscritpion doesn't mean you are doing anything illegal.

Zetetic

Quote from: Quincey on June 27, 2014, 05:01:52 PM
Is it likely the council will pass on this part of the bank statement to my ISP or the police?
No.
QuoteIs having signed up to Rapidgator a crime in itself?
No.

Purely out of nosiness, what do they council want with your bank statements? Is this to demonstrate that you qualify for some sort of assistance, or?