Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is there a shitter, more smug band name...

Started by The Masked Unit, July 05, 2014, 02:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

The best name by some distance is The Fall. All the bands following this should give up and start naming themselves Band #1848485 or whatever in numerical order.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: imitationleather on July 05, 2014, 07:40:10 PM
The best name by some distance is The Fall. All the bands following this should give up and start naming themselves Band #1848485 or whatever in numerical order.

Agreed, although it can be a bit difficult to understand when someone says it:

http://youtu.be/-7Lw9xbwXWQ?t=12m48s

Morrison Lard

That'd work, right up until band number 5318008

momatt

I can't think of anything smugger than calling your band - The Music.

Glebe

To be honest, I like the way that little snippet of 'that song they have' has been used for BBC2's Glasto coverage. Soars joyously in the summer bumness.

Phil_A

My default answer for this has always been "Does It Offend You, Yeah?" The kind of name that immediately suggests a bunch of obnoxious wankers before you've even heard a second of their actual music. Spoiler:
Spoiler alert
They are.
[close]

Also: "Scouting For Girls".

Does It Offend You Yeah is really fucking obnoxious.

Less obnoxious is Actress, but it still is one dull fuck of a name for a solo artist

I still have an EP somewhere by 90s Noo Yoik garage rock types Jonathan Fire*Eater (some of whom later became The Walkmen).  Not sure this has ever been surpassed in the shite band name stakes - and no-one to my knowledge has ever copied their pointless asterix gimmick.

Runners up would probably be Portugal, The Man and One Lady Owner (baffling Creation signing by Alan McGee during the late 90s 'meltdown' years).

hedgehog90

This year's Glasto line-up was rife with these smug wanky band names. Here's just a few:

The 1975
Bombay Bicycle Club
The Internet
London Grammar
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
The English National Ballet[nb]This one's so wanky they don't even play guitars![/nb]

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 05, 2014, 09:41:16 PM
and no-one to my knowledge has ever copied their pointless asterix gimmick.

B*Witched

Jijifranko

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 05, 2014, 09:41:16 PM
I still have an EP somewhere by 90s Noo Yoik garage rock types Jonathan Fire*Eater (some of whom later became The Walkmen).  Not sure this has ever been surpassed in the shite band name stakes - and no-one to my knowledge has ever copied their pointless asterix gimmick.

There's been at least one other band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Crowder_Band

QuoteDavid Crowder Band (stylized as David Crowder*Band and The David Crowder*Band) was a six-piece Christian rock and modern worship band from Waco, Texas.

The band's name is usually rendered with an asterisk, as "David Crowder*Band". In a faux-documentary, while recording Church Music, Crowder joked that the asterisk meant, "David Crowder [is about to go insane because Jack Parker continually tries to sabotage the work of the rest of the] band."

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Phil_A on July 05, 2014, 09:03:32 PM
My default answer for this has always been "Does It Offend You, Yeah?" The kind of name that immediately suggests a bunch of obnoxious wankers before you've even heard a second of their actual music. Spoiler:
Spoiler alert
They are.
[close]

It's taken from The Office, Brent says something along the lines of "My drinking. Does it offend you yeah?". Makes it better or worse depending on who you are.

Puce Moment

Some excellent cunty bands and their cunty names, and I would add:

¡Forward, Russia!

Natalie Portman's Shaved Head

imitationleather

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 06, 2014, 01:49:57 AM
¡Forward, Russia!

I liked their music a lot but the terrible name and the fact they all wore t-shirts with their logo on them when they played live (oh my days) made it a troubled relationship.

Jijifranko

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 06, 2014, 01:49:57 AMNatalie Portman's Shaved Head

That exists?! *checks last.fm* Ha! I rather like that one, though I agree that, objectively (papal infallibility and all that), it's a bit cunty.[nb]Calling things cunty is rich coming from me. I enjoy the novelty in some of these names.[/nb] Too much of a mouthful, perhaps?[nb]It's strange that I object to this inconsistently. 'Oneohtrix Point Never', 'Half Man, Half Biscuit' and 'Godspeed You! Black Emperor' are fine, but I feel that, in a conversation, it would be awkward for me to say 'Natalie Portman's Shaved Head', 'Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin' or 'Does It Offend You, Yeah?' in full. They're not names you'd want to repeat too often.[/nb] The same goes for this one: Monkey Swallows the Universe.

Van Dammage

Jijifranko

Quote from: Van Dammage on July 06, 2014, 02:19:25 AM
Isn't there a band called "The Band"?

Yes. Brilliant musicians and their first two albums (Music from Big Pink and The Band) are wonderful. Scorcese directed a film about their "farewell concert" (with appearances from Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Neil Diamond, Emmylou Harris, and more besides): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Waltz. Check out some of the performances on YouTube, or buy the DVD. It's great!

imitationleather

Quote from: Jijifranko on July 06, 2014, 02:14:55 AM
That exists?! *checks last.fm* Ha! I rather like that one, though I agree that, objectively (papal infallibility and all that), it's a bit cunty.[nb]Calling things cunty is rich coming from me. I enjoy the novelty in some of these names.[/nb] Too much of a mouthful, perhaps?[nb]It's strange that I object to this inconsistently. 'Oneohtrix Point Never', 'Half Man, Half Biscuit' and 'Godspeed You! Black Emperor' are fine, but I feel that, in a conversation, it would be awkward for me to say 'Natalie Portman's Shaved Head', 'Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin' or 'Does It Offend You, Yeah?' in full. Maybe it's because names like 'Half Man, Half Biscuit' have a more comfortable, more natural, or more 'musical', rhythm for speech?[/nb] The same goes for this one: Monkey Swallows the Universe.

On a similar note, I think Atari Teenage Riot (while I love them) is just trying too hard. I like a sense of arrogance in me band names, and that is trying really hard to impress me. I don't like being impressed! I guess the fact they're not English makes it okay, though.

A band name I really like: Polysics.

imitationleather

Oh yeah, The United States of America is a very poor name. But, again, I love their tunes.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Jijifranko on July 06, 2014, 02:21:20 AM
Yes. Brilliant musicians and their first two albums (Music from Big Pink and The Band) are wonderful. Scorcese directed a film about their "farewell concert" (with appearances from Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Neil Diamond, Emmylou Harris, and more besides): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Waltz. Check out some of the performances on YouTube, or buy the DVD. It's great!

I remember coming across The Last Waltz while looking for a song that was on the Oldboy Soundtrack.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

gmoney

The The. Though try searching them on Soulseek. Maybe they were ahead of the game.

ndrwkrtn

Quote from: clingfilm portent on July 05, 2014, 09:30:57 PM
Less obnoxious is Actress, but it still is one dull fuck of a name for a solo artist
Not that the subject of the thread is dull artist names, but I disagree entirely that 'Actress' is a bad name! That's one of those where I go 'dang, I wish I could have thought of that.' Though I am pretty dull fucker so maybe you have a point after all..

Johnny Textface

Editors. Strictly no definite article. Cuntish.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: The Masked Unit on July 05, 2014, 03:00:13 PM
Ok I take smug back. I meant twatty. It just sounds a bit pleased with itself, y'know?

No more than "Echo & The Bunnymen" or "The Teardrop Explodes".

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: imitationleather on July 05, 2014, 07:40:10 PM

Apart from The Smiths, who had the 2nd greatest name.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

The thing with "Atari Teenage Riot" is that even in 1993 it was built around a dated reference. Which is a problem if your schtick is that you're the zeitgeist-surfing new wave cutting edge of whatever.

Retinend

I can add the somewhat obscure:

"The Miserable Rich"
"You Can't Win, Charlie Brown"
"And so I Watch you From Afar"

And though there're not exactly smug, I find it very annoying when people pick as their stage names words that exist and change them slightly:

"Grimes"
"Grouper"