Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Muso] Garritan Personal Orchestra

Started by Gazeuse, August 25, 2004, 11:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazeuse

I got this today and I have to say that it's FANTASTIC!!! I'm using it as a VST plug-in with it's own reverb (Also a plug-un).

I loaded it up and tried a few sounds and then wondered what to do with it. I dug out an old orchestral piece I wrote a couple of years ago and started inputting it instrument by instrument and suddenly, there it was, just as I'd heard it in my head. Weird, 'cos I'd always assumed that it'd never get played!!!

The plug-in needs a load of ram and my 1 Gig was struggling after a few instruments causing glitching. However, it was workable (Small orchestra) and I did an export audio file to get the finished track without the artifacts.

I think that the results are amazing...Perhaps the strings are a bit harsher than I'd like 'em, but I'll have a fiddle with those later. The mod wheel acts as volume and the sustain pedal makes legato playing possible...All very intuitive. To get best results, it's best to write the parts properly (Especially strings) and build 'em up line by line.

So, highly recommended at only £179

I'll put my finished excerpt in the Post Your Tunes thread...Up there...Tomorrow.

El Unicornio, mang

Have you tried Edirol Orchestra? That's pretty good too. I might look into this one though.

Gazeuse

I've not tried the Edirol Orchestra but I have heard demos. While I thought it was good, I felt I could still do better with mu collection of synths and samplers. This Garritan thing has much better sounds than my black boxes.

Here is my first attempt...It's an excerpt from a piece called Across The Meadow for small orchestra...Full story in Post Your Tunes...

Clicky

Whaddayathink???

El Unicornio, mang

Very nice that, the horns are definetly a bit more realistic sounding than Edirol Orchestral. Might have to invest when I have some dough, I'm very much into the idea of doing film scores, although I'm guessing it's quite hard to get into?

Gazeuse

Yes, it is a tricky field. I'd jump at the chance myself, but I've not had the opportunity yet. I keep tarting myself about to do more drama/feature work, but I seem to be typecast as an entertainment/reality writer. Still, giving up is not an option!!!

Glad you like the horns...They are lush aren't they?!?

El Unicornio, mang

BUMP

I've been playing around with this for the past hour and, although it's fantastic, I'm having trouble with the brass instruments. I loaded up a piece I did which sounded fine played through Edirol's trumpet and trombone sections, but played through Garritan it sounds dreadful, like something on a cheap old keyboard. Single notes aren't too bad but when it moves up or down it sounds really crap and synthy. Is there something I'm doing wrong? (my knowledge of the specifics of brass palying are very limited, btw)

Gazeuse

Personally, I'd input the whole thing again. The Garritan is very responsive what with the mod wheel control over volume, so I wouldn't expect a straight transfer from another plug-in to work as well.

It also sounds best when you use the reverb which comes with it...It really makes a difference. It's quite processor heavy, but well worth it.

It is best if you know a bit about how to write for brass to get the most out of it...Although the most common mistake, writing out of range, is made impossible, because the keyboard is only mapped to sounds which are actually in range!!!

El Unicornio, mang

Thanks. I tried inputting it again but I'm still having problems, I think I may just have to play about with it a bit more, or perhaps stick with Edirol for brass and use Garritan for other instruments (everything else sounds great, very real sounding)