Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:51:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

That fucking dog from Britains got Talent : The movie

Started by Morrison Lard, July 11, 2014, 10:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morrison Lard

IT'S FUCKING BOMBED AT THE BOX-OFFICE!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28440079

Quoteaverage of just £1,100 in each of the 403 cinemas where it screened

They'd have got more money auctioning him!

George Oscar Bluth II

The reviews might have done for it, but I'd say the fact that the dog reached the apex of his fame two years, and two series of BGT ago, might have been the real problem.

You might as well do Paul Potts the movie.

OH WAIT THEY DID THAT TOO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Chance_(film)

QuoteBox office   $5,801,126

BritishHobo

It's nice to see that a link to Britain's Got Talent isn't the automatic money-spinner they assumed it was.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Morrison Lard on July 23, 2014, 05:41:10 PM
IT'S FUCKING BOMBED AT THE BOX-OFFICE!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28440079

That's a disappointingly high figure.

I enjoyed it more when 'Run For Your Wife' opened to about 600 pounds nationwide.

Subtle Mocking

It's hard to call it a flop if you don't know the budget. If Planet of the Apes had opened to that, it'd be a disaster. Pudsey is a kids film that surely can't have been filmed on a budget of more than about £2m, so if it can keep that up for four weeks it may break even.

Sorry to piss all over your parade, and all that.

EDIT: The budget is £2.4m. It would have to fight to meet that, but it is the summer holidays and it is aimed towards cretins with money.

BlodwynPig

Its still roughly 130 people per cinema? Assuming it was shown in auditoriums seating around 200 people, then that is about either 60% full on one single showing or 6% full over 3.333 days with 3 screening per day.

Van Dammage

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 23, 2014, 05:50:25 PM
The reviews might have done for it, but I'd say the fact that the dog reached the apex of his fame two years, and two series of BGT ago, might have been the real problem.

You might as well do Paul Potts the movie.

OH WAIT THEY DID THAT TOO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Chance_(film)

James Corden as Paul Potts. This film must be amazing.

MuteBanana

Once the summer holidays kick in and parents are running out of things to do it'll be raking it in.

I read earlier that Mrs Brown's Boys has made £13.3 million so far. Nearly four times its budget.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 23, 2014, 06:25:42 PM
It's nice to see that a link to Britain's Got Talent isn't the automatic money-spinner they assumed it was.

People watch it because it's on and it's easy. With BGT you don't even need to buy a single if a dog wins. Going to the cinema and paying to see something vaguely connected to it? Not so much.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Pit-Pat on July 24, 2014, 09:48:56 AM
People watch it because it's on and it's easy. With BGT you don't even need to buy a single if a dog wins. Going to the cinema and paying to see something vaguely connected to it? Not so much.

Exactly. I think what Simon Cowell failed to realise is that even schoolchildren and idiots watch his programmes ironically. Nobody was actually that impressed by the dancing dog.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on July 23, 2014, 06:34:22 PM...EDIT: The budget is £2.4m. It would have to fight to meet that, but it is the summer holidays and it is aimed towards cretins with money.

If that is the budget, then it doesn't have a chance.

In the UK, cinemas usually take 60-70% of box office takings with the distributors taking the remainder. If a film isn't expected to be last long at the cinema, which this wouldn't, and on that basis, the distributors took a cool £133,800 from the box office so far. So if ticket sales remain at this level for 18 weeks, they'll be quids in.

Also, the budget might just be the production budget, which mean that the cost of releasing (including advertising) needs to be added on. On average, for films with this kind of budget, this wouldn't be far off from £500,000 but could be. So realistically, we're looking more around £3 million for what the film cost.

Where did you find the budget of £2.4 million, incidentally? The reason I ask when I looked previously, the only figure was on the Wikipedia entry was for the film and the reference for the figure was a link to an article in The Guardian. When I visited the article, although it mentioned this film was coming out, there was no mention of the budget.

Quote from: MuteBanana on July 23, 2014, 07:36:25 PM
Once the summer holidays kick in and parents are running out of things to do it'll be raking it in....

Nah. For the reasons above, it's going to lose money.

Quote from: MuteBanana on July 23, 2014, 07:36:25 PM...I read earlier that Mrs Brown's Boys has made £13.3 million so far. Nearly four times its budget.

Mrs Brown's Boys has a very strong fanbase – it's very different to Pudsey's situaton.

In the past, I've posted about how great DVD sales have been. Going from memory, but at one point the only comedy series ever to beat the sitcom in terms of DVDs sold was Little Britain and The Office. More recently, it's just been announced that DVD sales for Mrs Brown has reached five million. I believe that does include live shows , but even so that's well over 1 million DVD sales per year.

So we have a film based on a television and stage show, which has been monstrously success in terms of how many people watch it and buy the home media. Additionally to that, the TV show has prospered even though it's been damned by critics.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 24, 2014, 10:18:22 AM
Exactly. I think what Simon Cowell failed to realise is that even schoolchildren and idiots watch his programmes ironically. Nobody was actually that impressed by the dancing dog.

The only limit to Simon Cowell's cynicism is his failure to realise how cynical everyone else is.

Even people who actually follow these talent shows sincerely only do so to have a weekly narrative and an element of tribal loyalty to one contestant or another. Noone thinks they're helping to create a bona fide star that they'll be listening to a month after the final.

It's similar to why I watch the Apprentice.[nb]I'm not proud by the way[/nb] I enjoy watching people fucking up tasks, being arseholes and making themselves look stupid. Once it becomes about who wins I really couldn't care less.

BritishHobo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brH_V2DG-d0

Why are these kid's films always about a big greedy man deciding to flatten the protagonist's little village? Are there no other ideas?

Catalogue Trousers

Yeah. They go on holiday overseas and guffaw at the funny foreigners.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 25, 2014, 05:28:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brH_V2DG-d0

Why are these kid's films always about a big greedy man deciding to flatten the protagonist's little village? Are there no other ideas?

A very very misguided film.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Morrison Lard on July 23, 2014, 05:41:10 PM

Even if Pudsey was twice as ugly as he is, which is very ugly indeed.

BritishHobo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 26, 2014, 04:54:39 PM
A very very misguided film.

I'm really intrigued why the antagonist seems to hate that child so much.

Morrison Lard

First Jim Tavare crashes.
Now dog dead.
Look out Walliams.

BlodwynPig

QuoteFan Jennifer Wood also tweeted: "Actual just started crying reading and article about Pudsey the dog dying...too sad".

That's from the BBC report

Dex Sawash

popcorn

This film was written by Paul Rose, AKA Mr Biffo, who's written some genuinely good and funny things over the years, most famously Digitiser. He wrote a sort of confessional piece about writing Pudsey here: http://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/panel-4-both-sides-of-the-fence

BritishHobo

Cheers for that popcorn, that was a really interesting read.