Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:23:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TV interest : photography : "The Lomo camera : shoot from the hip"

Started by splattermac, August 26, 2004, 06:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splattermac

I did put this in the current photo thread but it lags like a bastard so I've moved it here as a new topic,

LOMO interest : TV tonight, 20:30 BBC4
THE LOMO CAMERA: SHOOT FROM THE HIP
Thursday 26 August 2004 8.30pm-9.30pm; rpt 11.40pm-12.40am; Saturday 27 August 2am-3am (Friday night)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/lomo/

we had a good photography thread on the old boards, sadly it's lost. Do we have any LOMO owners on the boards?

http://www.lomography.com/

I bought the cheap and nasty HOLGA starter kits but never took one bloody photo, might be time to ebay it unless someone wants one for £25

http://shop.lomography.com/holga/

I've wanted to see this documentary for a while so thanks Neil for the tip off

splattermac

any TV>mpeg/avi types into photography fancy capturing this interesting hour long docu on this charming little camera?

Timmay

I hate to be a big party pooper, but from what I can tell Lomo photography is just the art of taking shit photos.

You don't need a "Lomo" camera to do that. I've taken plenty of shit ones with my snazzy digital camera. Can you get Lomo digital cameras? What a scam though. Lomo. Camera with a shit lens, that takes shit photos - here you go, you've got to pay us for one. In fact, I'm going to develop the Lomo 0.2MP digital camera - taking Lomo into the 21st century and beyond.

Next will come the Lomo Digital Video Camera®. Can film at 2fps, with a resolution of 320x240, and has a Saturation and Hue Intensifying Tickler®. The Saturation and Hue Intensifying Tickler® feature - or SHIT as we like to call it - basically ensures that every frame is completely unique, and resembles the original scene in absolutely no way.

I didn't record it, sorry. Want to buy a Lomo video camera?

splattermac

you're not even a small party pooper, on Richter scale of party pooping you are grass

thanks for the creative writing though :)

terminallyrelaxed

Neil

Well, it's on again tonight:

Quote2:00 am The Lomo Camera
Shoot From the Hip: Documentary on how an obscure Soviet camera, the Lomo Kompakt Automat, conceived at the height of the Cold War, inspired a huge cult following. Contains strobe lighting.

Extremely good documentary, fqascinating story behind that little camera I've heard you lot talking about before.  Dozens of photos scattered throughout the programme which were a joy to look at.  Definitely made me want one of those cameras, although all the devloping would be too expensive for me.  The ones with four lenses were very interesting, when that guy was taking photos of buildings and stuff you could see that he was sweeping his arm around so each frame would be suitably different.

slim

Did anybody watch this? Please could you let me know if it is widescreen or a 4:3 aspect ratio?

Ta very much,

Edit: Note to self: you don't need to sign when your name is already fucking displayed next to the post anyway. Dickhead.

fanny splendid

slim

Quote from: "splattermac"but this says its widescreen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/programme.shtml?day=today&filename=20040827/20040828_0200_4544_18769_60

Thanks. I really should've looked there, but I went, unthinking,  to Radio Times instead.

fanny splendid

slim

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Was there any sound?

You bugger off right bloody buggering out of it, you cheeky bugger.

splattermac

photos don't have sound, you are mixing them up with videos.

Rats you'd only take photos of your dog and fallen trees, or a combination of both.

I reckon TJ would enjoy your Lomo shots of Cramlington, all romantic like

loads on ebay for a lot less than new ones from the lomography website.

it's worth having a read of the forums in the US,

http://www.lomo.us/forums/archive/index.php/

all sorts of little bits and bobs about their reliability, using slide film and .....just stuff

As I was hovering over the 'buy' button I was reading comments about them breaking within months, so I've gone back to considering a purchase, I'm no further on from last year then.

Rats

You're right, I'd never get to use it. Do they take normal film?

Jet Set Willy

Yes this was my question last time around, do they take normal film and can you get it processed at a normal chemist or whatever?

splattermac

yes, and some people in the UK recommend a high street developer called snappysnaps who will process the film without correction so you get all the vivid colours and can put a white border on the final photos which from experience I really like.

The Holga I have on the otherhand takes square 6x6 shots with heavy light seepage and tunnelling

Jet Set Willy

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"Cool, I will have to get one for me birthday.

My thoughts exactly. I watched this last night, semi-interesting story, foundered a bit with the chinese Lomo club I thought, but anyway every third or fourth Lom shot (on average I thought) was really nice...

I can see the 'crap photo' opinion a lot of people have, by making them garish and oversatruated, lots of really quite poor photgraphy can be made interesting, and the emphasis on creating mosiacs in some of the exhibitions means the quality of the individual photos are a bit crap.

But I still want one. Don't know which one though, I don't think I'm much bothered with the sequential imagers, the 4-shot and 9-shot ones etc, I think I'd like a single-image one.
The standard Lomo Kompakt is 200 euros on the main site though....

terminallyrelaxed

Has anyone seen these on retail anywhere? I'm never getting one for christmas if it has to be ordered from Russia off the internet with a credit card...

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Has anyone seen these on retail anywhere? I'm never getting one for christmas if it has to be ordered from Russia off the internet with a credit card...

That website looks fairly reputable. I recently bought a watch from Russia off ebay using a credit card, and it arrived. If you can get things from Russia through ebay then you can get them anywhere.

napoleon dynamitee-hee

i bought one of the drawstring ones off the website about 18 months ago and it came about a week later, although of course you might get caught up in the christmas rush, especially as they were featured in the Guardian gadgets supplement last week..

It takes normal film but obviously you need to get the highest speed film for the best results...    good tip about the action camera though - try not to take photos of stationary things, cos they come out a bit shit...  although sunlight reflecting on rippling water is a nice effect!

Smackhead Kangaroo

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"If you can get things from Russia through ebay then you can get them anywhere.

Not from Malaysia you can't.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "Smackhead Kangaroo"
Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"If you can get things from Russia through ebay then you can get them anywhere.

Not from Malaysia you can't.

What I actually meant was if you can trust things from Russia through ebay then you can trust things from Russia through anywhere. But I also didn't mean it entirely seriously. Well done for correcting me anyway, I will now avoid buying anything from Malaysia through ebay.

terminallyrelaxed

Oh I'm quite happy with the site as I know the whole operation is above board, but I'm not the one with the credit card and it wouldnt be much of a prezzie if I bought it for myself would it? The problem lies in persuading someone else that this is a safe transaction. Someone totally paranoid about finances and the internet. But thanks for the re-assurance.

So I take it UK retail is a no-no?

splattermac

Does your town not have any of those trendy little boutique type shops that sell expensive tat, shopping in them is like giving a starving man a rice cracker, it's really just a shop so hollow it gives you wind, or something like that... because these places are the home of the Lomo.

Last time I looked this place was selling Lomo Kompacts and Holgas

Arc Gallery Store
59 Oldham Street, Manchester
tel: 0161 831 7454

terminallyrelaxed

Good call splats, yes I am blessed with an executive toy and replica samurai sword emporium, my hash-pipe-that-is-shaped-like-a-gnome needs are well catered-for, I shall pop along during lunch...