Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:05:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Elite Dangerous

Started by Alberon, July 22, 2014, 09:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hangthebuggers

Finally arrived in Maia. Nearby there's a system that has smuggling potential (2 x 2.3 million job offers on the board after a bit of palm greasing.

http://ed-td.space/en/11/Station/idSys/21180/nSys/Pleiades+Sector+IH-V+c2-5/idSta/63127/nSta/PRE+Logistics+Support+Gamma

Other than that it's scarily empty and it seems the nearby stations have basic facilities and very basic economies but absolutely nowhere for me to buy some ship upgrades and I forgot to pack a scanner.

Hangthebuggers

It seems at some point I've been drunk and spent my money on an Asp explorer and left myself with fuck all, so I've had to sell everything to get my money back (due to not wanting to risk a huge potential loss / insurance cost) - leaving me a in shitty sidewinder and swearing at the increased 8 x jump range just to get to a neighbouring system to try and rebuy my T6. I'm very annoyed at myself and have quit for the evening.

Hangthebuggers

Bollocksed my control scheme up didn't I? Ended up getting fucked over by a pirate with my cargo hold full and was frantically mashing the controls. Fucking balls.

Now I've spent the last two hours doing quick slave runs for a small profit just to scrape back the money I lost.

This game.... fnfghghrhgr

Penfold

The Guardians update is out tomorrow

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/299552-Elite-Dangerous-Guardians-2-2-and-1-7-Release-Date

QuoteGreetings Commanders,

We hope you're geared up and ready for ship-launched fighters, the Beluga liner, VIPs, passengers, alien archaeology, volcanism, and much more, because The Guardians and Elite Dangerous 1.7 updates will be blasting out of the Frontier Developments' fighter bay on Tuesday October 25.

The Guardians: Elite Dangerous

If you own Elite Dangerous: Horizons, or the Commander Deluxe Edition, in less than a week you'll be able to download the 2.2 update and hire fighter pilots to assist you in combat situations, build smaller ship-launched fighters in your larger vessel and send them in to battle and pilot and carry passengers in the beautiful and vast Beluga liner to new and exciting tourist destinations.

Game-changing improvements for every Elite Dangerous Commander coming in 1.7

In addition to the amazing headline features in The Guardians there is also a huge host of changes and additions coming free of additional charge to all players of the main Elite Dangerous game too! They enhance every aspect of the Elite Dangerous experience.

Navigate your way across the galaxy map with increased ease using the navigation filters, take in the new, detailed and beautiful starport interiors, ferry passengers to the most amazing locations in the galaxy, store modules for more flexible use between ships, transfer your vessels making you ready for any occasion or visit Interstellar Factors – a shady group of contacts who will allow you to pay off your fines or collect combat bounties no matter where you are in the galaxy.

There's so much to discover in both the Elite Dangerous 1.7 and The Guardians updates, but you'll have to uncover some of the mysteries yourselves.

I've only just taken advantage of the engineers to give my Diamondback Explorer a nice new FSD and lowered the power consumption so I can use weapons.

Hangthebuggers

Just been for a spin myself. Not done too much tinkering with engineers, just enough to lower my mass and give my shields some slight upgrades. Currently just enjoying planet skimming and exploration in my Asp explorer (which I love).

Found another pilot on my travels. He's the one in the yellow dropship.

FredNurke

Nice to see Gordon Tracy's doing well for himself.

surreal

Big bump on this, as today the official First Contact with the Thargoids has been confirmed.  I don't personally play any more (at the moment) but I think I'd have fair shat myself if this happened out of the blue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMGKLjbDwo&feature=youtu.be

Hangthebuggers

Came here to post the same.

Penfold

This is finally out at the end of June for PS4.

Does anyone have any experience with the Xbox version? Is the content the same? I already have this on Steam but I'm tempted by the console version as I think I would play it more, my laptop can be slow.

Actually I would probably need PS Plus even if I played solo mode so I might not bother.

Barry Admin

I play on Xbox. I love it, i really love having it to hand so I can jump in to fly about every now and again. Regards content, they are very good at getting content on the consoles around the same time it hits the PC.

Penfold

Thanks, I like having games I can open and play while catching up on podcasts. I already have No Man's Sky but apart from the updates there aren't many tasks to complete like in Elite.

From my brief research it looks like XBL gold isn't required for solo play so hopefully it'll be the same for PS Plus.

Barry Admin

Yeah I wanted to check the solo thing for you but didn't know if it would translate to PS. It's perfect podcast gaming - once you're over the steep difficulty learning curve, you can do a lot of things automatically. I'm fascinated to see new developements, too. I returned to it recently and hired some old biddy to be my fighter pilot. She's shite, but ranking her up from Harmless is fun. There are weekly Community Goals to take part in too, always quite profitable.

Kryton

Sorry to res an old thread. But the new update to this is fucking great.

The new exploration system is immersive, the updated lighting engine is fucking sexy. The new ships are far more balanced now. The lore is exciting and it's actually really good to see how the player canon is developing (Colonia etc).

Currently flying out into 'the black' in a nicely engineered Krait Mk2 - I already have my name on some earth-likes and water worlds which are good earners. The lore has developed somewhat making you feel like you're amidst some vast intriguing event.

Spotted my first Thargoid the other day (I had a long hiatus) and was very impressed to see the Thargoids scanning the remnants of a huge, destroyed ship. It looked very eerie.

Now there's tons of stuff to discover. It's pulled me back in and I suggest to anyone who had doubts about this game, to give it a second chance.

Bence Fekete

Damn I'm desperate to play this again with all the updates but having sampled VR I ended up promising myself I have to wait until I can get a rift/vive (I have a fairly crappy monitor, the downgrade would be heartbreaking).  Easily the best experience I had in my DK2 mind.  Pleasure delay.  Must.  Stay.  Strong.   

Kryton

My god this game has captivated me. I'm thousands of light years away from Sol in the Outer Orion trail, just scanning and mapping planets (earth-likes, water worlds and keeping an eye out for ammonia worlds and any other planet that might have interesting geological features). Currently landing on the odd beautiful virgin planets, scraping up minerals and resources.

The lighting in fucking beautiful now. Just spent half an hour driving through some gas geysers on a blood-orange world, just as a solar eclipse is taking place above me, slowly plunging the planet into a deep crimson colour.

I seem to have mapped a shit load of water worlds, I think they're worth a few bob. But I'm 90+ jumps from my base of operations (an asteroid base called New Growth in the pencil nebula)... I'm in no rush to return since I'm enjoying it, knowing that I'll be a rich man when I return with all the system/mapping data and 'first find' earth-likes.

batwings

I've spending way too much time in this. I've just made a trip out to the center of the galaxy to see the black hole there (Sagittarius A) and I'm now heading back to the bubble. Loving the new exploration system, especially the sound of the planets' radio signal.

The Culture Bunker

It may be because I have the PS4 version, but... I did sort of lose interest in playing this after an initial two/three week splurge on it. I should probably give it another chance after Christmas. Elite II was one of my favourite games back in the 1990s.

Kryton

Netted myself 70 mil in exploration data last night, flew back to my asteroid base and realised I was still about 29 jumps back to the bubble, so I switched off happy. Tonight I'm considering keeping my trust Krait Mk II (but engineering the FSD so I get a better distance when traveling star to star.

As for my next ship, not sure if I want a combat ship or a miner. Been looking at the new alliance model ships, I think the general consensus is that the Challenger is best for anti-Thargoid activities... Although the Python is tempting me as a general purpose ship which I could kinda convert into a mining/hauler with some weapons for good measure? A lot of people on other forums swear it's THE best all rounder in the medium class, with the Krait MkII being second place.

Or I might make a dedicated mining ship since apparently the profits are apparently huge right now.

Decisions.

Or I might fuck it all and devise some kind of PVP ganking, pirate ship and be a cunt?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: batwings on December 17, 2018, 06:29:13 PM
I've spending way too much time in this. I've just made a trip out to the center of the galaxy to see the black hole there (Sagittarius A) and I'm now heading back to the bubble. Loving the new exploration system, especially the sound of the planets' radio signal.

What did the black hole look like?

Kryton

This is what I've been calling home for a few days.

Barry Admin

This sounds great, I've been waiting for more richness to be added to the gameplay, having tired of the grind.

So the planets are now a lot more varied and interesting, is that right? It's not just gas giants (or whatever it was) you can land on now?

I'm of course having to relearn, but am in my fairly engineered Anaconda which I'd stuck fighters in. I've just about got to grips with the FSS now, and am toying with two options. Either I swap in an SEV bay, if planets are indeed a lot cooler to visit now, or I get out my trusty old Asp and go deep. I think it's engineered too, I really can't remember, there's a lot to get to grips with again.

batwings

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Nice. "Unexplored" would make me tempted to go into it though.

batwings

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 18, 2018, 04:22:55 PM
Nice. "Unexplored" would make me tempted to go into it though.

Having amassed a ton of exploration data on the trip I wasn't keen on getting too close. I also went in solo mode as I've heard that griefers sometimes hang out at Sag A.

batwings

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 18, 2018, 01:53:07 PM
So the planets are now a lot more varied and interesting, is that right? It's not just gas giants (or whatever it was) you can land on now?

AFAIK you can still only land on solid bodies with no atmospheres.

Kryton

Batwings is correct, however the new systems make it all a bit more immersive. For example when scanning systems, you can probe planets and discover biological or geological points of interest which make those seemingly empty planets more interesting.

Also mining looks bloody fantastic now, since they've introduced different methods including asteroid cracking!

Kryton

Also there's a kind of universal codex that logs important things and gives hints to locations if you fancy a mooch around crashed Thargoid ships or human Capital ships burning and abandoned in space. Or maybe you fancy solving some puzzles for the mysterious Guardians. Or fucking it all off and go looking for strange fungi or mineral harvesting on planets with neon coloured geysers under the sinking red suns of a binary system.

In short, there's two types of discoveries when exploring. You can be find a virgin earth-like planet or water world and be the very first to discover it for juicy bonuses, but you can also map them too, for extra bonuses. Or you can find already discovered earthlikes etc by other pilots, but you can be the first to map them.

Other stuff the developers have been adding over time, include Thargoid attacks on stations, player vs alien encounters, player factions, a ton of undiscovered stuff if the devs are to be believed (which is highly likely considering there's still billions of unexplored systems. People have recently been finding abandoned ships, 1st generation ships, crashed ships, abandoned bases, Thargoid-like mollusks, random satellites with interesting audio snippets. All sorts of stuff.

In fact, I've recently been reading the CANNON research stuff. They're an in-game player 'group'' trying to pry through the 'lore' and mysteries of the game, scientifically logging any and all unusual encounters and anomalies and such. Some very clever people in this group, deciphering quite cryptic stuff and using all sorts of mathematical magic to pinpoint stars and systems using clues.

https://canonn.science/lore/

Not tried mining yet, but there's now various and literal depth to it, since you have options now.
Someone mentioned that the ASP Explorer would make an excellent small scale deep core miner for example. From what I've been reading the Python is also an excellent explorer/miner if you an buff it with engineering. Same with Krait II etc..

Kryton

Had a crack at deep core mining. The principle is, you send out probes to any planet with rings and probe the rings (ooer!) and then it may display hotspots of valuable ore and minerals. You can then fly to that patch and apply one of four methods of asteroid mining. I personally chose cracking it open with deep core explosives after scanning specific asteroids for weak points. It's actually a decent mini-game of sorts and apparently people are getting very rich from this kind of mining.

So I decided to upgrade my trusty Krait II into a mining/exploration ship. So not only am I making money from hurtling through the darkness at speed, scanning remote planets and selling that data, but I can actually make some tidy money on the side using the above method and picking and choosing my scoops.

It's quite time-consuming, but it's great the Frontier are now catering to players who want to mix and match roles, rather than picking specific ships for one role only.

My prediction will be that the next few patches will boost bounty hunting credit and combat credits to balance out with the money made from mining. Just in time for more Thargoid activities or 'summat.

Some guides

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/a8eudh/a_guide_to_finding_icy_motherlodes_that_no_ones/

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/a8dhju/elite_deep_core_mining_guide/

BeardFaceMan

This is on sale on Steam at the moment, £4.79 for the game and the same for the Horizons Season Pass or 12 quid for the Commander Deluxe Edition for the Xbox. Is one version better than the other? I do prefer a controller so am leaning towards xbox.

Sherman Krank

^ I got it for £4.79 a couple of weeks ago (seems to have been that price since X4 came out at the end of last month). The PC version supports an array of controllers including the XO controller. If you have a long enough phone charging usb cable you can apparently use that to connect them.
Had a quick google and some folk are adamant that you can have the exact same xbox one controller set up on the PC version and other folk are adamant that you can't (I was using an old wired 360 controller + keyboard so wouldn't know).

Be aware that it's not a game you can just launch and start playing as there's a shit ton of stuff you have to learn first. I haven't got past the third tutorial yet as I'm not sure the game is actually enjoyable enough to warrant the time spent learning how to play it.
I might go back to it but I've just seen that Fallout 4 is going for a tenner and it's apparently quite playable if you mod the living shit out of it.

Also be aware that the PC version is an always online game (even for single player) and you have to create an account on the publishers website using your steam email address before you can play it.