Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Elite Dangerous

Started by Alberon, July 22, 2014, 09:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

I'm absolutely loving it again, but it's definitely not a game for everyone. The core systems have been really enriched though, and I hope they continue doing that. I have a blast just with the solitude and immersive nature of the game. Now you can use the FSS and surface scanner to find interesting stuff on planets, so I go down and drive around for a look and to grab some materials. Engineers have all been reworked so I'm going to get at least my Anaconda, AspX and Python reworked.

Bought a Krait II as well myself, and fitted it out with all the new mining gear. Haven't found that many explodable asteroids yet, but done a couple and was highly impressed by how much more fun mining is now. Love this idea of a gold rush too, hoping to make some good cash before the background sim changes things, but it looks like it should last over Xmas at least.

Definitely want to do some exploring, I still need to travel 5k from spawn to unlock the engineer who does the grade 5 dirty drives, and I know they're worth it. But at the minute I'm just having an absolute blast (hahah) flying my unengineered Krait nimbly around the asteroid fields. So much fun after being in the sluggish Anaconda for so long.

Yeah, glad this was bumped, the new stuff they've added has got me really into the game again, loving it!

Kryton

Glad you're enjoying it. I feel pretty much the same way. Plus it's gorgeous now isn't it?

Barry Admin

Much the same on the OG Xbox tbh. In my dreams I play this on a PC with VR. Anyway I put a tenner in to support a fab update, and bought the Norman Lovett voicepack.

This will get patched, but in case you haven't heard yet, hitting chunks with more than one abrasion blaster at the same time can create more than one chunk! So I put them on all three top Krait hardpoints last night, stuck them on the same fire group, and most of the time now I get at least one extra chunk of void opals or Alexandrite or whatever when I smack them off the inner rocks.

BeardFaceMan

Is there any real difference between pc and xbox? Same content, they get updated at the same time, that sort of thing?

Kryton

On a whim I transferred all my modules from the Krait II to the Krait Phantom and I have no regrets. It does everything I need, but it's faster and has a better jump range.

I can imagine the Krait II excels in combat, but the Phantom is more suited to my purposes of fast exploration. Plus I save a few bob on the ship transfer.

Perfect.

-- On my test run I wanted to find my first signs of biological life having only ever discovered geological stuff. It just so happens the first two planets outside my new asteroid station (in my home system!) happen to harbour 'Bark mounds' and I think I've just made a mark in the universal codex.

Kryton

Ok might have been a bit premature. The Phantom is very fast, but weak as fuck. Both times I've slammed into a planet it's fucked my hull, whereas the Krait II always took it like a champ and lost like only 1% hull. I think my speed is a factor though.

Also the Krait II definately has some kind of evasion-meta implemented. I've never been searched or scanned once in the Krait II, never been interdicted, but as soon as I jump in the Phantom, every cunt is trying to interdict me as standard.

I think I'm still going to use it (Phantom) and see about getting some better defenses for planetary landings. Then I might turn the Krait II into a fighting ship instead and make use of the good hull, the fighter bay and good beefy hardpoints like God intended.

EDIT: Linking this so I remember it later http://elitedangerous.hozbase.co.uk/interestingsystems/distancefrom/volkhab/30000

Kryton

Fuming. My own curiosity got the better of me. Lost about 7-8 hours worth of exploration data as I was flying from the black towards Fed space. Decided to check out some satellite and started scanning it to read the logs. Suddenly a load of absolute bastards appeared from nowhere, startling me from my relaxed trance into a state of near-hysteria as my shields crumbled under several shots and a big fat missile up my tail-pipe.

I could have docked too, but I thought nah I'll be Johnny Big Wig.

Now I'm back at my shitty asteroid base and have lost all my data. Fuming mate. But it's my own fault and was extremely sudden and fun... In it's own way. Lesson learned.

Kryton

Wondering just what the fuck it was now... I shoulda googled it with my space computer, but it seemed harmless until those tossers appeared and missiled my Phantom.

batwings

I've been core mining in a Krait II, mostly going after void opals and low temp diamonds in ice rings. Finding the mining experience to be very satisfying, as well as lucrative. I've brought in over 800 mill over the last week. Gonna use some of that cash to beef up my corvette and work on my combat rank.

NoSleep

Quote from: Kryton on January 02, 2019, 10:08:03 PM

Why are there stars visible through the dark side of that planet?

Kryton

I genuinely cannot see a star visible through the dark side of the planet. Not being sarcastic either, maybe it's my screen resolution or something. Or my eyesight?

Twed

Yeah, it's clean.

This is the only thing I have done today.

Kryton

Twed you're a credit to the team. Thanks Twed.

NoSleep

Twed

It's the FOV settings of the camera causing it to look warped.

ASFTSN

I bought this and X3: Terran Conflict in the Steam sale. Sadly I think I'd need to find a way to remove literally every other aspect of my life in order to experience them to their fullest.

Kryton

Quote from: ASFTSN on July 01, 2020, 05:57:30 PM
I bought this and X3: Terran Conflict in the Steam sale. Sadly I think I'd need to find a way to remove literally every other aspect of my life in order to experience them to their fullest.

God I really wanna get into the X games, but the graphics put me off. And I think after playing Elite (and getting bored), the dated physics also puts me off. I know embedded in there, there's a fucking great game - but it just tests me a little and i quit before I get too involved.

Elite on the other hand is gorgeous, the physics are great, the sound is fantastic - but the gameplay is utterly shallow and boring and the fanbase are wankers who will defend all its faults.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Kryton on July 01, 2020, 07:40:11 PMElite on the other hand is gorgeous, the physics are great, the sound is fantastic - but the gameplay is utterly shallow and boring and the fanbase are wankers who will defend all its faults.
I must have spent weeks and weeks hammering Elite II on my Amiga back when it first came out. I know the one after that was a bug-riddled mess, but I was still sexed up when Dangerous arrived.

But I struggled to engage with it after the first 15/20 hours and I've not been back to it since. Like you, I found it a bit lacking somehow... like I'd moved on in the 20-odd years between, and the franchise hadn't.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Kryton on July 01, 2020, 07:40:11 PM
God I really wanna get into the X games, but the graphics put me off. And I think after playing Elite (and getting bored), the dated physics also puts me off. I know embedded in there, there's a fucking great game - but it just tests me a little and i quit before I get too involved.

Elite on the other hand is gorgeous, the physics are great, the sound is fantastic - but the gameplay is utterly shallow and boring and the fanbase are wankers who will defend all its faults.

Oh no! Shame to read your more recent thoughts on Elite Dangerous, your enthusiastic posts on here earlier in the thread were partially what convinced me to grab it. I'll still give it a go.

I've started X3 first and I know what you mean about the physics - they are decidedly non-Newtonian - but I actually quite like the graphics. They look a bit mid-90s made for TV sci-fi movie but that sort of appeals to me. And yeah the depth seems insane...I very much feel like a random scrub at the moment. Luckily found an abandoned ship drifting in an inhospitable pirate space sector, claimed it and sold the shields it was carrying to make some bank. But the amount of missions I've failed so far is nuts. Read lots of good things about the mid-game sweet spot though and I'll stick with it.

I don't know if you grabbed the itch.io bundle for Racial Justice but there's a great little game in there called Helium Rain that is an indie attempt at a sort of hard sci fi X game redux. Great chilly atmosphere, lovely graphics and a surprising amount of depth. Admittedly the space faring bit is secondary to the management side of things but just thought I'd mention it.

Kryton

Quote from: ASFTSN on July 02, 2020, 09:12:58 AM
Oh no! Shame to read your more recent thoughts on Elite Dangerous, your enthusiastic posts on here earlier in the thread were partially what convinced me to grab it. I'll still give it a go.

I've started X3 first and I know what you mean about the physics - they are decidedly non-Newtonian - but I actually quite like the graphics. They look a bit mid-90s made for TV sci-fi movie but that sort of appeals to me. And yeah the depth seems insane...I very much feel like a random scrub at the moment. Luckily found an abandoned ship drifting in an inhospitable pirate space sector, claimed it and sold the shields it was carrying to make some bank. But the amount of missions I've failed so far is nuts. Read lots of good things about the mid-game sweet spot though and I'll stick with it.

I don't know if you grabbed the itch.io bundle for Racial Justice but there's a great little game in there called Helium Rain that is an indie attempt at a sort of hard sci fi X game redux. Great chilly atmosphere, lovely graphics and a surprising amount of depth. Admittedly the space faring bit is secondary to the management side of things but just thought I'd mention it.

Might have been a bit harsh - It's difficult for me to exactly narrow down what annoys me about Elite, but I think it's coming from an Eve online background, the huge amount of systems at play, the production, the detail.... And Elite just lacks that. It just feels empty and basic.

I was hoping that the economy would mean something and that players actions and influence would mean something like Eve online, but ultimately it's just numbers. The things you transport from A to B mean nothing (whereas in Eve it could mean life or death).

It's still a stunning, gorgeous game though. But the gameplay loop gets repetitive and the the impact of my actions feels minimal. However that's probably my fault for treating it like an MMO rather than a sim.

Kryton

Whilst the X games seem to have all that detail. The various ways you can approach the game, the interlinked systems such as setting up automated factories and patrols and salvagers and such. The X series is ambitious but then lacks the polish of Elite.

In short I'm a fussy bastard, but one day there'll be a game that combines the best parts of X, Elite, Eve etc.

Kryton

Actually feel like I was shitting on Elite earlier. It's an amazing game tbh, it just lacks.... Something. Multiplayer detail and dynamics that don't rely on buggy 'events'. If it was an MMO with real- time consumer markets it'd be fucking wonderful. Every ship with cargo affecting the market, every trade etc.
Bleh. It's bloody cinematic though and there's not much else like it. It's good for what it is.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Kryton on July 02, 2020, 09:23:01 PM
Actually feel like I was shitting on Elite earlier. It's an amazing game tbh, it just lacks.... Something. Multiplayer detail and dynamics that don't rely on buggy 'events'. If it was an MMO with real- time consumer markets it'd be fucking wonderful. Every ship with cargo affecting the market, every trade etc.
Bleh. It's bloody cinematic though and there's not much else like it. It's good for what it is.

Thanks for the feedback. When I eventually get to it[nb]probably in 2035 or so[/nb] I'm wondering about the multiplayer aspect. One of the things I like about X3 and Helium Rain is that they are single player games - generally I play games to get the fuck away from people, not interact with them in a different way. Sounds like I won't miss out on too much if I play Elite Dangerous in single player? Can I flip back and forth between single and multiplayer if I ever decided I do want to fly around with a mate?

rack and peanut

You can play elite: dangerous online for days and not run into any real people, it's grand

Kryton

Quote from: ASFTSN on July 02, 2020, 09:35:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. When I eventually get to it[nb]probably in 2035 or so[/nb] I'm wondering about the multiplayer aspect. One of the things I like about X3 and Helium Rain is that they are single player games - generally I play games to get the fuck away from people, not interact with them in a different way. Sounds like I won't miss out on too much if I play Elite Dangerous in single player? Can I flip back and forth between single and multiplayer if I ever decided I do want to fly around with a mate?

Yep, I think you have single, local and open options? Can't quite remember but defo three options.

Kryton

Anyway my gripes are for a game that doesn't exist, maybe I'm missing the point of Elite being a slow burn? I dunno.
The most fun I had with Elite was discovering parts of space and planets that it's hugely unlikely any other player would ever see again, recording my name into permanence as an explorer. Several expeditions yielded good results.

The Mining meta is really good these days, giving you three (?) options (you'll have to google them) of mining styles and a profit vs danger modifier. And I do like how the tech-focus is spreading between ships.

I remember one of the Krait models being very good at deep core mining (good money at the time, presumably still is?). MKII I think? And also a good explorer, with good engineered jump range, perfectly balancing exploration and small time mining.

batwings

Just got my fleet carrier and I'm really enjoying using it as a mobile base for various activities. Currently out in the Pleiades visiting Thargoid sites and killing Thargoid scouts. Then off to explore the Witch Head nebula. Having all  my fleet with me, along with my stored modules, outfitting, repair, refuel, restock on the carrier is a real game changer.

I agree that ED is not a very deep game but it is so so very wide, which suits me. I'm really into engineering ships for niche roles as well as just pottering about in a galaxy-sized sandbox. I'm thinking of building a mining fleet and using my carrier to take it out into the black and do some serious prospecting and exploration.

Kryton

I am imagine the fleet carrier changes everything, but I don't have that kind of in-game money - I think my last attempt at making some was mining and exploration.

I might jump back in the game and see what's what?

beanheadmcginty

I'm too shit at computer games to do anything other than the courier missions. Still enjoying myself. This is exactly the same thing that I ended up doing on Frontier on my Amiga 600 nearly 30 years ago. Although this time round I've got a decent graphics card so I've got everything whacked up to 11, which shows I was right to think things would be better when I'm a grown up.

ASFTSN

Got bored of X3 a couple of weeks back after setting up my first station/asteroid.

Spent about 6 hours trying Elite Dangerous this bank holiday weekend instead, very much enjoying the atmosphere of it. It does a much better job of drawing a curtain over the "boxes in space" thing that any space game has to do by necessity.

Highlight for me so far has been a 28 jump to get to the nearest interstellar factor to pay a fine for dumping stolen cargo. Had to fuel scoop on the way there, fucked it and burned up my auto-dock module so was forced to manually dock when I finally did get there. No wonder the woman I'm using as my avatar looks so pissed off.

I docked at a player owned fleet carrier at one point to repair/refuel but those facilities were temporarily suspended. Anyone know why? Heard some pew pew as I was struggling to land so wondered if it was a combat sitch.