Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Elite Dangerous

Started by Alberon, July 22, 2014, 09:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

Tons of beginner's guides out there, but this seems to be a really clearly explained one:

https://thecakeisaliegaming.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/getting-started-in-elite-dangerous-a-guide/

Took some passenger on a trip to a "Revised Catholic Mission" beacon yesterday. I got paid quite well for it. Can't have been the most spiritual journey for him with the amount of prangs I had at stations on the way, but I've had my fun and that's all that matters.

Puce Moment

Ahhh shit thanks and I fucking love the sound of these little bespoke missions - I just need to get better at the basics first. Had a night off and played Day of Defeat on my PC which I know back to front to build my confidence back up!

Puce Moment

Oof, really struggling with this now. I can't even do one basic trade because I do t really understand the trade routes on the map. I don't know what the fuck I'm looking at and even when I do go to trade I end up not being able to do it because I don't have Horizons which I don't understand at all. Is it something extra I gave to buy? One video said I have the chance to choose this at the start of the game. How does that help me now?

Watching training videos for half an hour I realised this is feeling like work. I mean literally, like my work.

I think I am too limited a gamer to get much out of this other than flying around aimlessly. I might come back to it if I generally improve.

ASFTSN

Pretty sure that if you've landed on a planet, then you have Horizons.

Shame you're on PS4 otherwise I'd say we could fly around for a bit and I could try explain things a bit.

One thing I've found with training vids is they seem to be focussed on "the best way" to do stuff. To me that's not only a bit soulless, it's also not a great way to learn anything. Your starting ship's a bit naff for trading anyway. Since the game is nothing without setting little goals and storylines for yourself, maybe do some courier missions or sell exploration data to save up for something good for cargo hauling (Hauler or Mark 6 maybe?).

ASFTSN

Anyone gonna bother with the "walking around" expansion to this, Odyssey? Comes out next week as I understand it.

batwings

Quote from: ASFTSN on May 13, 2021, 11:38:06 AM
Anyone gonna bother with the "walking around" expansion to this, Odyssey? Comes out next week as I understand it.

I did. It's a shit show. It's full of bugs like salvage missions where the panel that needs to be cut open is semi-submerged in rock and unopenable. They have replaced the ship outfitting, system and galactic map interfaces with terrible, counterintuitive versions with functions buried in sub menus hidden behind unlabeled icons. The game is now way too dark and the much-vaunted new planetary graphics are underwhelming. Connection and server errors all over the place. Oh, and the sniper rifle doesn't have a magnifying scope.

ASFTSN

Yeah I just had a scroll through the Reddit sub for ED! I'll fuck that off then!