Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Elite Dangerous

Started by Alberon, July 22, 2014, 09:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hangthebuggers

Just completed the training missions. Docking is still a pain in the arse isn't it?

Now to embark on my proper adventures.

Steven

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on November 28, 2015, 05:50:39 PM
Docking is still a pain in the arse isn't it?

You're doing it wrong if you're involving your arse at all.

Famous Mortimer

After picking it up in a Humble Bundle, I decided to give it a go. I loved the original game, played it to death on the C64 and Amiga, did the endgame missions, etc. But this...I'm fully prepared to admit I'm not very good at playing a lot of games, but even on the very mildest sensitivity settings, the ship would just roll and roll and I couldn't even complete the first training mission.

It took me a good two minutes to just get the damn thing to stop, and then getting near to / targetting the debris proved to be close to impossible. Obviously, there's a way, otherwise you all wouldn't have had a good time playing it, but I'm buggered if I can figure it out.

Alberon

Do you have flight assist turned off? What are you using to control the ship?

Famous Mortimer

I just jumped straight into the first tutorial without messing with anything. And mouse + keyboard.

Alberon

I used to use that for a long while. I only recently bought a cheap joystick. Perhaps the sensitivity of your mouse is too high? There should be a key to cycle through targets or select nearest hostile.

I'd look at youtube or the net, there should be some good tutorials there to allow you to get the hang of it.

I'm still trying to get to grips with landing on a planet. About a quarter of the time I still manage to damage my hull coming in too fast.

NoSleep

Hangthebuggers

I'm using a combination of mouse, keyboard and a controller. Got it sussed now. Docking like an absolute champ.

Just sold my viper mk3 for a cobra mk3. Not sure if i prefer it, but slowly racking up some cash via trading/smuggling.

It's not as deep as eve online but still an enjoyable game.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 09, 2016, 11:24:46 AM
After picking it up in a Humble Bundle

What? When the fuck was it in a Humble Bundle?

Hangthebuggers

Just made about 2.5 million doing some rare commodity trading runs.

I have a Cobra fitted for hauling and Viper fitted for bounty hunting and res/combat sites. I think my next investment is going to be either some form exploration ship or possibly modding a ship for some naughty piracy.

I'm determined to discover an undiscovered system and get my name permanently labelled on a star at some point since there's literally billions of systems out there.

Having fun with this game, although I still wish it had more player interaction and some sort of deep crafting/manufacturing system like Eve online. Still annoyed that the DLC costs more than the fucking game too, but I've not bought that yet and waiting for a sale.

hedgehog90

Anybody bored of this game and willing to trade it for my copy of Ark?
I'm assuming that's possible with steam.

mook

Hangthebuggers

Some tips.

Class A mods are obviously better but more expensive and also increase the mass of your ships. Most people suggest either going straight for class A mods or if you choose not to, then don't bother with class B, stick with C or D. Since B is not worth the balance vs mass. Most of my ships have C/D mods and seem to be fine.

If you get interdicted by another ship, don't bother fighting the interdiction since the mini-game is slightly bugged and broken, simply submit to the interdiction then boost away in one direction then activate cruise - this is better than fighting it and losing since your FSD cooldown takes longer to boost away if you fail the interdiction rather than submitting. 9/10 times I just submit, boost then cruise. The cooldown works better that way.

On your ship, depending what you have - take a look at your hardpoints. Any hardpoints under your hull are better for static weapons, whilst hardpoints above your hull are better for gimballed weapons. This is due to the fact that you'll constantly be ducking and diving and gimballed weapons work better when not blocked by your hull.

Good money can be made via bounties - you don't even need a warrant scanner (although choosing one boosts the amount of money you'll get from bounties). Pick your targets carefully. In some cases you only need to have landed a few shots on the wanted target, so try and find some police in fights with criminals and lay some cheeky shots on the target and let the police do most of the work.

You can also visit low/high combat sites and pick a faction to join up with and fuck the other side up for combat bonds. You can check factions etc on the right hand computer in your ship.

Good money can be made from following rare commodity trade routes. Make sure you have enough cargo space and jump range. It's also worth checking the supply and demand of other commodites, just so you're not flying with empty cargo holds. Rare commodities increase in value the further you are from the place of purchase.

http://bandofothersgaming.com/forum/showthread.php/2149-Elite-Dangerous-Rare-Trading-Goods-Routes

Smuggling is also good for making money, but can be a pain in the arse if you get scanned. A good way to avoid being scanned is to approach the station with a black market and activate silent running and turn off all non-essential functions. This 'cools' your ship down and makes it harder to scan. Or you can do it my way and just fucking boost to fuck into the station as they cannot scan you when you're approaching the entrance and hopefully you'll be inside before the scan completes. Also using a chaff launcher can disrupt a scan.

Some ships are dedicated to a single role such as the viper for fighting. Whereas some ships like the cobra are multi-functional depending how you mod them. My cobra is a trader with no weapons. I don't need weapons since I can usually boost away from any trouble and I've replaced some parts with extra cargo facilities.

Some useful links:

http://inara.cz/galaxy - all round useful stuff

http://elite.nutty-gamer.com/ - ship comparison

https://eddb.io/station - station trading guide

http://guides.gamepressure.com/elitedangerous/ - Excellent 38 page guide to all sorts of shit

Barry Admin

Bump. Anyone else gotten back into this lately, or perhaps picked it up in the Xbox sale? The No Man's Sky hype reawakened my interest in ED, and its been a lovely change of pace from all the twitch gaming I've been doing for months.

Started working on the Engineers stuff, and have a lot of modded modules now, all pretty low upgrades at the minute, apart from the lovely grade 5 FSD tuning which gives my trusty Python a jump range of upto 22.6 light years, nice!

Anyway, wanted to let people know that FD seem to be flooding the economy with cash at the minute, although I missed a massive payout in one of the CG's as I was titting around with other stuff.

They've kicked off the aliens storyline, and it went a bit tits up, of course, but they're continuing with the 'clue' CG'S nonetheless. I'm just dropping off some Lavian Brandy at the mo for one of these. Anyway, yes, looks very like there's going to continue to be big payouts so people have plenty of credits at hand for the forthcoming update, which will add passenger missions and all kinds of good stuff.

Barry Admin

In the early hours of this morning, I finally - FINALLY - bought myself an Anaconda! I've been lusting after one for a full year now.  Got 25 mil from finishing in the top 30% of the last CG, and tootled off to LYR space with my 165 million credits, to buy an Annie at a 15 discount. Obviously, this didn't leave me with much cash to fit it out, as some of the A-rated components for a ship of this size costs many millions.  But I upgraded the power plant, distributor and FSD, then decked it out to hold 384 tons of cargo, BEAST!

Python is parked up, no way I could ever get rid of my A-Rated Python.  So now I'm just doing the space trucker thing, using the amazing eddb.io to come up with trade routes, and running like fuck from any pirates who interdict me. A new CG for gold just kicked off, so I'm drinking Polish beer and caning the absolute fuck out of it. The proceeds should enable me to get a decent shield set-up, then I'll start upgrading my hardpoints for some pew pew.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how it handles at the minute, considering it's enormous size.  They Python is hardly that nippy, so it's not much of an adjustment.  When I've a spare tenner, I'm going to buy the gold skin for my Annie - she's worth it, and I have waited sooooo long to get this upgrade.

I'm really, really loving being back in ED after a long break.  They've made a lot of really nice updates, including some great QOL stuff.  The engineers are a stroke of genius, even if the jaded old fucks on the forums whine incessantly about them/absolutely everything.  It gives you more to do, and you can personalise your fleet, wahey. 

Oh, they added in all these progress bars as well, so you can actually see where you stand with minor factions, and working on your rank with the superpowers just makes a lot more sense now. 

With the Anaconda under my belt (missus), I'm now ready for 2.2 to drop.  Then I'll be able to invite people to jump into my ship and help me pilot it, and can store and launch fighters!  I am having so much fun being immersed in Elite again.  I played the BF1 Beta for like 10 minutes, but just had to turn it off as I was absolutely desperate to get back to work in my Anaconda.

Barry Admin

Oh, and I grabbed Oolite the other night, and was pleasantly surprised to see our own NoSleep Nigel mentioned on the credits page!

NoSleep

It was my gift to Aegidian, the original programmer. I was the very first person to sign up to test it and it was in appreciation of the hard work he had put in.

Barry Admin

It's some cracking work mate, I sat and listened for ages.

Hangthebuggers

The problem I have with ED is how impersonal it feels and the lack of dynamic results. Everything feels like a grind with nothing to equate on a personal level. Everything is a % base, rather than a personal result.

I'm an Eve online veteran and I cannot help but compare.

ED has so much potential but offers nothing on the same level as the many stories from EO. It's hard to explain to be honest. On a mechanical level, ED is beautiful, but it all feels like a huge pool that is very shallow. No guilds/corps/groups that can offer anything. Every player is the same.

Whereas with EO it offered variety.

thugler

Jesus...

I just finally played this a little having bought it ages ago, just did a few training missions, which were really not very helpful. After struggling through the docking one and being unable to dock I just flew into a rage and turned it off.

I presume it's worth sticking with yeah?

I just don't see the sense of making something as simple as docking annoyingly difficult.

Barry Admin

One of the best things about it is the sheer complexity and steep learning curve. You really feel like you're looking after your own ship, as you learn how and when to turn modules off in the heat of battle etc. I put three weeks into it before I initially stopped playing, and its taken me a week or more to get fully back up to speed with everything.

You can install a docking computer in outfitting, although it does take up a slot, and you've not much space in the starting Sidewinder. I generally run with one as I'm lazy, but manual docking is something you want to learn to do anyway, for times when you might really need to do it!

If you've got blue markers on the landing display and it just won't dock, chances are you're facing back to front. If you're heading into a Coriolis start port, you land facing AWAY from the entrance.

Next time you go to dock, you might want to go to "functions" on your right hand panel and toggle "rotational correction" - might help. Also drop your landing gear as you're approaching the slot, as it'll create drag and slow you down.

If you stick with it and need help, just ask, it really is an utterly amazing game in many ways. The advice I'd give early on is to upgrade your Sidey as much as poss, but basically save your money until you can get hold of an Asp Explorer. Just keep doing missions and saving those credits - it's the first multi-purpose ship you can get, and really fun to fly, plus it can jump huge distances when you upgrade the FSD. I have two of the best end-game ships, but still went back to my AspX over the last few days, just to get a lot of stuff done.

First thing you'll want to upgrade in any ship is the power distributor, but for now, just basically keep doing missions and making cash.

mook

i can't get this bastard game to work, i bought it ages back when i was hammered & i've a foggy memory of starting it up & having to navigate about for a bit shooting some green barrels. now if i try to start it, there's a sign up screen asking for to enter a code but it never accepts the codes that they email to me. the cunt

Barry Admin

mook

thanks, i'll give that a go this evening.

ta

thugler

Just got into the game proper and having much more fun, got used to the docking now and starting to enjoy bombing around doing jobs and saving up cash. Feels properly massive and exciting.

Barry Admin

Sweet! It is both of those things, in spades. Thinking back, and reminding myself of the ship prices, I believe my next step was to get into the Cobra MK III (the classic Elite ship from the original), then use that to get to the Asp Explorer.

You might want to stay around the same few starting systems for now, building rep with minor factions by completing more missions with them, which will give you better paying missions. You can stack loads if they're eg data delivery missions going to the same place. I'd prioritise building rep with minor factions who are aligned with a superpower, as going up the Federation and Empire ranks eventually gives you access to new ships, and it just makes it quicker to gain rank, also. Take any 'naval progression' missions when you see them.

When you do get a new ship, always make sure you have enough cash to cover the rebuy costs, as you'll lose it if you get wiped! And to save a bit of money, swap all your ship modules to the cheapest ones before you sell that particular ship.

mook

still can't get this blighter to work!  i've reached the point where i'm threatening violence on the bastard computer. it's no good, i'm going to have to ask my missus to do it for me. & she will, & then after she's fixed it in a moment she will look at me over the top of her spectacles & smile the smile she does that says "aren't you a little too old to play video games." "NO, PETAL I AIN'T, ANYWAY YOU WATCH BAKE OFF BUT CAN'T FUCKING COOK! thank you for mending the thing, love you...ta xx"

HappyTree

I'd never heard of Oolite. Fantastic! I don't have the time to put into ED but mucking about in Elite normal will do fine.

mook

well, the girlfriend got the game to accept it's activation code, & i kinda wish she hadn't. the keyboard & mouse controls are a pig to use & i don't know if i can arsed to sort out a controller seeing as the game seem so lacklustre & meh. i'll give it another few hours, just to see if it clicks with me, but it don't look very hopeful so far.

edit... just found a guide to using just the keyboard, like i did when i was a pup playing this on me model b... hopefully it will improve matters

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/17953-Keyboard-Controls-Help-for-new-Beta-players-Printable-layout-quick-start-guide

Hangthebuggers

Reinstalled this bastard and found myself drawn in again. Currently trying long distance legal haulage and have done a bit of research.

For smuggling try: Robigo (plenty of smuggling missions there) - Risky but good money if you can hack the smugglers life.

For Long distance hauling: Sothis and Ceos - (bounce between stations doing data missions to get your rep up initially, this opens up better LONG distance hauling missions with very decent payouts). Payouts in the sum of millions.

(sorry for shit formatting below)
System Name    Distance from Sol    Distance from neighbour / bubble    Has station with bulletin board    Notes
Sothis    494 LY    9 LY / ~263-299 LY    Yes    High pay missions available
Ceos    487 LY    9 LY / ~255-290 LY    Yes    High pay missions available
Quince    480 LY    Unknown    Yes    Unknown if high paid missions available
Fehu    469 LY    Unknown    Unknown    Unknown if high paid missions available
Robigo    437 LY    52 LY / ~206-238 LY    No but may return (UA bombed)    No bulletin board therefore no missions
17 Draconis    412 LY    Unknown    Unknown    Unknown if high paid missions available
Maia    383 LY    Unknown    Yes    Unknown if high paid missions available
Aditi    381 LY    Unknown    Unknown    Unknown if high paid missions available
Takurua    359 LY    67 LY / ~130-160 LY    Yes    Only has donation missions
HIP 19072    349 LY    Unknown    Unknown    Unknown if high paid missions available
New Yembo    343 LY    Unknown    Unknown    Unknown if high paid missions available
HIP 74290    329 LY    Unknown    Yes    Unknown if high paid missions available

--

As for me. I don't think I can stomach 96 jumps in my massive space truck, so I'm going to follow another internet rumour that Maia has some apparently decent runs and some people are apparently trying to keep it quiet to avoid attracting player pirates and gankers. Maia is 66 jumps which is slightly more manageable. It might be all for naught but I'm also heading right into the Pleiades that way, so I'm going to take some snazzy screen shots if nothing else and check out this rumour.