Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:00:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wimblewrong 2014 Quarter Final: AsparagusTrevor vs Cerys

Started by AsparagusTrevor, July 22, 2014, 10:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Yikes... sorry Ces, but it has to be Trev for me an' all. That opener is one of the best I've ever seen here.

Big Jack McBastard

Black Ship

Sorry Cerys, but I have to go with Asparagus Trevor

Passive-Aggressive Susan

AsparagusTrevor goes through to the semi-finals.

You're better off out of this rancid cesspit of a competition, Cerys.

AsparagusTrevor

Wow, thanks for all the votes everyone, and thanks for a great game Cezza. You brought out the best in me, which, as it turns out, is also the worst in me.

I like to think I'm the first person ever to make 16-bit sprites of Jimmy Savile, DLT, Max Clifford and Rolf Harris, or at least I hope I am for the good of the world. Whatever, I do know I spent way more time and effort on these shots than a grown man probably should. I think my marriage might've suffered slightly when my wife saw the Tweenies shot, she did a classic disappointed, bowed head-shake, though it was coupled with her trying to hide a slight smirk.

I hope I won't disappoint in the semis and now I'm off to try and cleanse my soul before the next bout of depravity.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 28, 2014, 10:51:43 PM
I like to think I'm the first person ever to make 16-bit sprites of Jimmy Savile, DLT, Max Clifford and Rolf Harris

I'd really like to know a bit more about how you made that shot, if you don't mind giving away your winning secrets. I assumed you'd used some kind of 16-bit filter on photos of those celebs and plonked the heads on the bodies of some rpg characters. Looked a bit good for that strategy, though, I have to admit.

Crabwalk

Yes, I'm extremely curious too as to how AT acheived such perfect results. It looks way too good to be just filters and plug-ins, more like a pixel-by-pixel paint job.

Incredible work whichever way it was done - and part of me doesn't want to know how.

AsparagusTrevor

Of course I don't mind revealing any secrets. I don't have any magic pixel filters to use unfortunately, I just used to dabble a bit in game design back when I was younger so I carried over a few pixel art skills. I did originally plan for it to be a quicker and easier shot but it didn't turn out that way.

The background is a few pre-made ones stitched together, I just stole the details I wanted. The rozzers and paparazzi sprites are nicked off some random sprite sheet I found online, altered slightly. Then I drew the DLT, Rolf, and Max sprites myself, trying to match the style of the other sprites and using photographs as reference. Took a few revisions before I was happy with the likenesses. Same with Jimmy, although I originally made him way too big so I had to shrink him down about half, losing a bit of detail unfortunately. All the HUD and whatnot I just did from scratch, and then threw it all together and made it look CRT-like with colour bleed and scanlines. Probably took about 4 hours altogether, thankfully I don't have much of a life.

Crabwalk

Cerys

I gracefully accept defeat by a master of wrongery.  I knew I was doomed the minute I saw that first stunning shot.  Thanks to everyone who voted for me.

One day I'll make it further than the Quarter Finals.  All I need is time, luck, and a few freak accidents.

Congratulations, AT.  You are a large part[nb]Hurhurhur, large part[/nb] of what makes this tournament great.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 29, 2014, 08:57:13 AM
Of course I don't mind revealing any secrets. I don't have any magic pixel filters to use unfortunately, I just used to dabble a bit in game design back when I was younger so I carried over a few pixel art skills. I did originally plan for it to be a quicker and easier shot but it didn't turn out that way.

The background is a few pre-made ones stitched together, I just stole the details I wanted. The rozzers and paparazzi sprites are nicked off some random sprite sheet I found online, altered slightly. Then I drew the DLT, Rolf, and Max sprites myself, trying to match the style of the other sprites and using photographs as reference. Took a few revisions before I was happy with the likenesses. Same with Jimmy, although I originally made him way too big so I had to shrink him down about half, losing a bit of detail unfortunately. All the HUD and whatnot I just did from scratch, and then threw it all together and made it look CRT-like with colour bleed and scanlines. Probably took about 4 hours altogether, thankfully I don't have much of a life.

Interesting, thanks. That's very nice pixel art you've done there - you are a genuine artist!