Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:41:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Andrei Wotsizname

Started by Sam, July 25, 2014, 03:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Guy wot did The Return.

There needs to be a proper thread about him cos people mainly seem to talk about that film, but everything he's done since then has been very interesting and at times splendid.

Any fans?

Puce Moment

The Banishment seems like it takes much of the tone and oppressive melancholy of The Return and turns it up to 11. Visually it is amazing, probably his strongest work, and in many ways exceeds the cinematography of Ceylan and others. In terms of narrative, he really seems to strip things back, very much in contrast to the almost high concept drama of his first feature.

Elena I only got around to seeing last year, and it really confounded me, and I enjoyed it so much more on the second viewing. Whilst being a big metaphor for the state of the nation, society, class, etc, it is also another 'good person does a bad thing' story, and I really started feeling sorry for the main protagonist.

I am yet to see Leviafan/Leviathan but it looks like he is going for something more bold and broad after the relatively self-contained stories in his previous two films.

Going back to the The Return, i think it is just a beautiful and incredible film. For me it is one of those perfect contemporary films that come along very infrequently - I cannot fault it at all. It is stunning.

Puce Moment

I think everyone else is mulling over their response Sam. It's not a thread you want to come charging into without an appropriate amount of thinking time.