Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Headphone/Mic Recommendations

Started by Puce Moment, July 26, 2014, 05:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

I am using skype with increasing regularity, pretty much every day, and I am starting to look around for a decent headset.

Basically I am looking for a really good and completely natural sounding mic that doesn't sound like I am, a) speaking underwater, and b) using a walkie-talkie.

The best selling and best review average headset is a piece from 2009 that is a Microsoft basic, and therefore has tons of positive reviews. I would love to spend under £30 if possible.

Do we have a generic 'recommend me stuff' thread, or would that become too much of a mega-thread?

NoSleep

Might be better to look for an audio interface and buy a decent cheap mic and headphones to plug into it. Skype insists that any mic be plugged into "input 1", which in the standard 2in/2out audio interface will be the left input. I can't remember ever hearing good sound from any headset that anyone ever used on CaB Radio.

Thomann do some good cheap mics, mic leads (you may need a converter lead to plug direct into your audio interface) and mic stands (Amazon are good for the leads & stands, too, but be more careful buying the mic). Audio interfaces start at £25.

mic: http://www.thomann.de/gb/t-bone_mb85.htm

audio interface (16 bit/44.1kHz): http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/79E

Puce Moment

Thanks NoSleep, I actually would prefer something like that over wearing a headset, which I would find unruly and also makes me look like a plonker. I have a decent webcam.

Overall, this looks pricier, but I will experiment with the mic when I get it.

NoSleep

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 26, 2014, 04:01:47 PM
I actually would prefer something like that over wearing a headset, which I would find unruly and also makes me look like a plonker.

Yes, I understand.