Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mad Max: Fury Road

Started by El Unicornio, mang, July 27, 2014, 10:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Masked Unit

Looks great but then I've somehow never seen the original, so have no vested interest in any legacies being shat on. Fuck me though, they've really pushed the whole Teal 'n' Orange to the limits haven't they.

lazarou

It's getting a huge push over here, feels like half the city is carrying billboards for it. There seems to be a huge amount of confidence it's going to go absolutely massive. Not that that necessarily means much, but it's nice to see.

Honestly can't remember the last time I've been so excited for a new film.

great_badir

Still hugely excited, more than I have been for a new release for a long time, but equally there look to be some worryingly Thunderdome-esque elements to it.  Which I appreciate feeds into the legacy of the thing, but......y'know, Thunderdome mostly shit an' all...

Johnny Textface

This is getting some strong reviews. Pumped.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I reckon it'll do like Dredd did a few years back, fail at the box office and pick up a cult following.

Johnny Textface

I can't see it bombing to be honest, hardy's massive.

kngen

mobias

Sounds ace!  "And The Guardian's critic Peter Bradshaw awarded four stars and said it was "like Grand Theft Auto revamped by Hieronymus Bosch".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32698127

Tickets booked for Thursday 3D iMax

DukeDeMondo

Yeah, reviews have been fantastic so far. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, for what it's worth.

I can't wait.

lazarou

Some of the Men Rights crowd have been calling for a boycott on this as it features a Strong Woman Character which they say is a betrayal of the series' American(!?) values. Fairly sure the RoK crowd are considered complete fucking idiots even by other MRAs, but it's an impressively wrong-headed read all the same: http://www.donotlink.com/framed?704311

NoSleep

Tina Turner wasn't a "strong woman character" before this?

Blumf

Neither was Virginia Hey

VegaLA

phantom_power

It lives up to the trailers

lazarou

Yes it does. Fucking amazing.

mobias

Saw it last night in 3D IMAX. Great fun and utterly over the top in a brilliant kind of way.  I won't spoil much but all you need to know is that pretty much all the scenes from the trailers are from the first 20 minutes or so of the movie as far as I could tell.

CaledonianGonzo

Seeing it tonight at the Cameo.  Feels like the kind of movie that will be enhanced by a couple of cold bottles of Budvar.

phantom_power

I saw it in 3D against my will (last minute decision, no 2D screenings) and I thought it actually worked really well. The early scenes at the Citadel especially.

I won't spoil too much either but I love the lack of exposition and hand-holding, the similar-yet-different aesthetic to the original films, and the last half an hour is just ridiculously tense and entertaining.

hedgehog90

I'm planning on seeing this but I haven't seen the other Mad Max films, is it recommended I see them first?

Shaky

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 15, 2015, 10:09:31 AM
I'm planning on seeing this but I haven't seen the other Mad Max films, is it recommended I see them first?

You should stay up all night watching the original trilogy then go and see Fury Road first thing in the morning.

phantom_power

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 15, 2015, 10:09:31 AM

I don't think there is any real need to see the original trilogy. You should watch them at some point because they are all great to some degree (the third one less so) but continuity is fairly loose in the Mad Max world

NoSleep

If you feel the need to get up to speed with the franchise, just watch Mad Max 2.

Head Gardener

Quotejust watch Mad Max 2
thats what I did yesterday afternoon before I went to see the new one in the evening.
Not that anyone needs reassuring but Fury Road does not disappoint, it's audacious and thrilling, best film this year so far.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2015, 11:46:46 AM
If you feel the need to get up to speed with the franchise, just watch Mad Max 2.

^ This. The first one is a bit of a cult film, but doesn't really hold up to much and feels dated. From what I remember the first film was quite slow.

The second one is brilliantly entertaining and in my mind really cements the MM universe.

The third is similar and has Tina Turner, but the plot is weaker than the second.

Head Gardener

best guitarist in a movie, ever

Sam

Kelvin

Quote from: Sam on May 15, 2015, 07:44:52 PM
Kermit likes it:

http://youtu.be/21dA6ZiKU00

Bloody hell. The action had better be as good as everyone's saying, because the short clip of Max and Furiosa talking in that review was laughably shit.

lazarou

It's a very visual film, more so than anything I've seen in some time. Dialogue is pleasingly daft for the most part, but rarer than you'd think. The visual storytelling is strong enough it feels like it would get the point across even if they said nothing at all, and they don't say very much to begin with.

Like everyone else on here I don't want to start spoiling any of the good stuff until people get a chance to see it, but I will say you should put any worries about CGI out of your mind (bar one silly visual gag at the end). It's mostly used to embellish things here and there, and the whole film feels dirty, nasty and physical in the right kind of way. I can't even imagine how many vehicles they must've went through to get the crashes framed like that, but it was worth it.

Anyone watching the others for the first time, go out of your way to find the proper Aussie cut of Mad Max. If you have a version where they're speaking with American accents, fucking bin it, it completely ruins the tone of the film. I feel it gets an unfairly bad rep because the US cut tends to be the one kicking around. It's certainly a very different film from its sequels, but it deserves a fair shake, at least.

CaledonianGonzo

Holy smokes.

Dialogue scenes aren't its strong point.

However, it excels in scenes that melt your face.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 11, 2015, 04:46:43 PM
I reckon it'll do like Dredd did a few years back, fail at the box office and pick up a cult following.

Cinema was notably empty this evening.

Granted it was a blockbuster style movie in an 'arthouse' (or at least arthouse-esque) cinema and the multiplex down the road might have been swarming, but I was expecting a sell out and there were only about 20 folk there.