Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:06:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hobbit III

Started by tookish, July 28, 2014, 08:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Really THE big shift in Jacksons version of Lord of the Rings is that there isn't the same divide between the four Hobbits and everyone else, the other characters become less high fantasy and more humanised developing though the story.

That explains so many of the changes he ends up making like Faramir being tempted by the ring along with Aragorn being much more reluctant at the start of the story.

In Tolkiens world I believe the aging process of Numenorean was basically that they grew up normally but when they reached adulthood then stayed at that "age" for a prolonged period before they came to near the end of their lives when they got old as a regular speed again. Still I can't really see the character as being much more than a shoe horn in the Hobbit, at least with Legolas there was some reason for him to be involved with the story.

Alberon

Doesn't Aragorn mention his actual age in the Extended version of one of the LOTR films?

Glebe

Quote from: Alberon on September 09, 2016, 11:59:29 AMDoesn't Aragorn mention his actual age in the Extended version of one of the LOTR films?

Er, yes...

Twed

Quote from: Endicott on September 09, 2016, 11:00:07 AM
I have quite a few complaints about the characterisation of Aragorn, but him not looking old is not one I really understand. He was of the line of Numenor and lived until he was about 200 (from mem). 87 was the equivalent of his early 40s.
Fair enough, I mistakenly thought Aragorn was pure human.

greenman

Quote from: Twed on September 09, 2016, 07:18:43 PM
Fair enough, I mistakenly thought Aragorn was pure human.

His distant ancestor was Elronds brother(both half human half elven) who chose to be mortal(but long lived), Arwen is his cousin about 60 times and 7000 years removed.

Glebe

greenman

I have always kind of thought that an interesting way to adapt the Silmarillion would be to cross cut elements of it with a Tolkien WW1 biopic.

Glebe

Quote from: greenman on November 08, 2016, 01:12:30 PMI have always kind of thought that an interesting way to adapt the Silmarillion would be to cross cut elements of it with a Tolkien WW1 biopic.

That's an interesting idea... I've only ever seen bits of it, but Dreamchild, in which Ian Holm plays Lewis Carroll, does something like that.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: greenman on November 08, 2016, 01:12:30 PM
I have always kind of thought that an interesting way to adapt the Silmarillion would be to cross cut elements of it with a Tolkien WW1 biopic.

I really like that idea, and might pretend to have thought of it first to sound clever in meetings, if that's okay.

greenman

I spose the idea probably comes from Pan's Labyrinth more than anything else although obviously the fantasy crossover is a bit more overt. The early versions of the Silmarillion were started during WW1 though and you could argue it would get around a lot of the stories lack of strong character drama relative to LOTR.

A standard biopic of his WW1 days sounds like it has the potential to end up as rather clichéd action/romance where as cutting between fantasy and slow trench/hospital drama would seem to be a much better fit for the man himself and the aspect of him people care about most.

Glebe

Adam Savage Tours Peter Jackson's Movie Prop Collection!

I wish we got a proper tour rather than just talking about Hal 9000 for ages.

Glebe

Here's The Real Reason David Bowie Wasn't In 'The Lord Of The Rings'.

Read about this before... he does have an elfish look about him. Btw, it's 15 years since the release of Fellowship. Cuh, how time flies, eh?

greenman

Bowie as Elrond is a lot easier to see than Gandalf.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on February 22, 2017, 03:01:33 AM
Uma Thurman Risks Stephen's Ire For Turning Down 'Lord Of The Rings'.

Interesting.

Just watched that video, and no, no it wasn't. Sorry. And Thurman really needs to stop with the plastic surgery too.

Small Man Big Horse

Bit of a bizarre one this, but apparently the actor Topher Grace has edited the trilogy down in to a two hour film - https://news.avclub.com/topher-grace-has-blessed-the-world-with-a-2-hour-versio-1827998300 - apparently it's not available yet but it's not the first time he's done such a thing as he did a cut of the Star Wars prequel trilogy which can be found online, so folks reckon it might leak at some point.