Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:17:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic is better than Snickers (Rooting for the musical underdogs)

Started by alan nagsworth, July 29, 2014, 04:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Sometimes there's just too much surrounding a band for you to really get into what they're about, especially if you missed the hype boat when it pulled into town. There are other times when you simply think a band is ridiculously overrated, and there's an underdog who, in their humble simplicity, wipes the floor with the big dogz. The overdogz.

For example, I really love Grandaddy, and I think they do the whole dream-pop thing a lot better than The Flaming Lips, whom, as we all know, I fucking detest. Among their many faults, TFL seem to layer it on too thick and I find it to be tiresome and disengaging, whereas Grandaddy seem to get it just right by not adding quite so much to the broth. I know they're not entirely similar bands but I'm sure you can relate as to why I would draw this conclusion, even if you disagree.

Off the top of my head, another one that irks me is Unknown Mortal Orchestra. I mean, they're alright, and I know they're pretty well received here, but personally the band that preceded them, The Mint Chicks, were so far superior.

My missus is of the opinion that The Kinks are better than The Beatles, and in terms of longevity, she might be right. I've never invested that much time in The Kinks and I don't know how consistent they were from one album to the next, but for me The Beatles only ever had three really solid albums (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's) and a string of catchy pop numbers prior to that. I don't have much time at all for any of the guff that came after Sgt. Pepper's.

Up until about a week ago I would have also smugly announced to anyone willing to listen that I thought Pink Floyd were infinitely better with Syd Barrett at the helm, but... a couple of nights ago, I got stoned. Like, really fucking stoned. I smoke hardly anything these days, maybe a cheeky spliff at the end of the day in front of the telly, or at social occasions. This was different. My mate was going away to Turkey for a few months, so we smoked a bloody massive chocolate blunt - rolled and stuck with some premium honey, no less - and listened to Dark Side of the Moon. FUCK ME! I haven't listened to it for maybe ten years or so now, when my late-teens "I've matured beyond this mediocre psychedelia bullshit, GIMME JOHN ZORN" pretentious snobbery kicked in, and like many revisitations, I was absolutely blown away. A truly astounding listening experience. So now I'm not so sure.

madhair60

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 29, 2014, 04:24:09 PM
My missus is of the opinion that The Kinks are better than The Beatles, and in terms of longevity, she might be right. I've never invested that much time in The Kinks and I don't know how consistent they were from one album to the next, but for me The Beatles only ever had three really solid albums (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's) and a string of catchy pop numbers prior to that. I don't have much time at all for any of the guff that came after Sgt. Pepper's.

Fuck off.

I mean that in a genuinely friendly and open way.  Seriously.  I like you.  But, absolutely off.  You must fuck.

My mate says this, he's a TWAT.

Sorry for not contributing to your thread very well.

Puce Moment

The Durutti Column were better than Joy Division.

The Men They Couldn't Hang were better than The Pogues.

Sonic Boom is better than Spiritualized.

The Wedding Present were better than The Smiths.

I have heard these view espoused over the years, but I only agree with one of them.

the science eel

Brundle-Fly

If were discussing eighties funk metal bands? Fishbone are better than The Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Melth

Everything Lawrence recorded with Denim and Go-Kart Mozart is superior to anything he recorded with Felt.

the science eel

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 29, 2014, 09:03:31 PM
If were discussing eighties funk metal bands? Fishbone are better than The Red Hot Chilli Peppers

a) why would we discuss eighties funk metal bands?

b) everybody in the world is better than RHCP

dr beat

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 29, 2014, 09:03:31 PM

Where do Faith No More fit into this? That would be a more interesting comparison I think.

the science eel

Quote from: dr beat on July 29, 2014, 09:57:39 PM
Black Grape were better than Happy Mondays

No way!

Black Grape's first album is better than the Mondays' last album, that much I'll give you.

I'd say Happy Mondays are better than Stone Roses.

But anyone who drinks Dr Pepper is still an "I'm different, me" twat.

MrSerious

Glebe

lazarou

The Breeders were (and still are) better than the Pixies.

Crush were better than PJ & Duncan.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on July 29, 2014, 10:07:41 PM
Where do Faith No More fit into this? That would be a more interesting comparison I think.

Mr Bungle are better than Faith No More. How do you like dem apples?

greenman

Quote from: the science eel on July 29, 2014, 10:22:05 PM
No way!

Black Grape's first album is better than the Mondays' last album, that much I'll give you.

Better than any of their albums for me although the Mondays might have it on overall career.

madhair60

the science eel

Quote from: greenman on July 30, 2014, 08:44:41 AM
Better than any of their albums for me although the Mondays might have it on overall career.

I think Bummed is one of the greatest albums of its time. It sounds like an unholy mash of Can and The Fall. And you've got Hannett at the controls.

imitationleather

Quote from: lazarou on July 29, 2014, 11:45:31 PM
The Breeders were (and still are) better than the Pixies.

Assuming you're not taking the piss, I would say they are a dead-heat photo-finish draw.

imitationleather

Vodka Margarine

greenman

Quote from: the science eel on July 30, 2014, 10:28:47 AM
I think Bummed is one of the greatest albums of its time. It sounds like an unholy mash of Can and The Fall. And you've got Hannett at the controls.

Better than Thrills and Pills I'd agree(and Wrote For Luck being Ryders finest hour) with amazing production but it does tend to merge together a bit too much for me. Black Grape's debut might not be pushing things as much sonically but its just so consistent without repeating itself, pretty much every track on the album could have been a successful single.

thraxx

Quote from: greenman on July 30, 2014, 01:50:05 PM
Better than Thrills and Pills I'd agree(and Wrote For Luck being Ryders finest hour) with amazing production but it does tend to merge together a bit too much for me. Black Grape's debut might not be pushing things as much sonically but its just so consistent without repeating itself, pretty much every track on the album could have been a successful single.

I llike Bummed a lot, but Pills n Thrills is what The Sun might call a stonker of a record.

PaulTMA

Shakin' Stevens is better than Elvis

Richard Blackwood is better than Will Smth

Puce Moment

How Shaun Ryder wrote some of those lyrics on Bummed is beyond me - it is truly a bizarre record. A total anomaly - tight playing and truly poetic lyrics from a group well-known at the time for being a bit shit and a bit thick.

Cleaners From Venus

Many years ago, I met Shaun and Paul Ryder and we just chatted about music for a bit. If I didn't already know it was the case, I'd never have believed that Shaun was the lyricist.