Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic is better than Snickers (Rooting for the musical underdogs)

Started by alan nagsworth, July 29, 2014, 04:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Malcolm Middleton's solo stuff is better than any Arab Strap.

Doomy Dwyer

Quote from: Cleaners From Venus on July 30, 2014, 03:18:35 PM
Many years ago, I met Shaun and Paul Ryder and we just chatted about music for a bit. If I didn't already know it was the case, I'd never have believed that Shaun was the lyricist.

Isn't it rumoured that Anthony "Tony" Wilson wrote the Monday's lyrics? And his labeling Shaun a better poet than Keats is just some elaborate situationist prank? Personally, I don't believe that. It smacks (if you'll pardon the drugs reference) of snobbery. I've met plenty of blokes like Shaun who just spout reams of gobbledegook poetry despite never having been to a Russell Group university or prestigious stage school. They can just do it. Better. 

I hate people who say things like "Isn't it rumoured..." then go on to spread the rumour like garden fence gossips. They snidey slide in then snide themselves together and snide out.   

shiftwork2

If you live in North Manchester you can meet the rest of the Happy Mondays whenever you like by calling a cab.

*ayethangyew*

Puce Moment

While Kevin Shields spent 20-years smoking huge amounts of weed in his basement, Debbie Googe (MBV bassist) ended up driving a cab in London.

Miki Berenyi from Lush tells a story about leaving, I think, Kings Cross, hailing a cab and getting picked up by Debbie. What an odd irony given how they plundered MBV[nb]and the Cocteau Twins[/nb].

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 30, 2014, 01:51:34 AM
Mr Bungle are better than Faith No More. How do you like dem apples?

I posit that Chuck Mosely was a better FNM singer than avant-frat boy Mike Patton

cosmic-hearse

I would much rather listen to The Rich Kids & The Professionals to The Sex Pistols[nb]"Who are The Professionals? Only the band The Sex Pistols could have been"[/nb]

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on July 30, 2014, 08:21:37 PM
I posit that Chuck Mosely was a better FNM singer than avant-frat boy Mike Patton

I sort of see where you're coming from with that TBH. As technically accomplished a vocalist Mike Patton is, I've never really liked the way his voice actually sounds.

Vodka Margarine

Malcolm McLaren's solo stuff is better than Malcolm Middleton's.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 30, 2014, 08:46:28 PM
Babyshambles were better than Beady Eye.

There's a bigger issue at stake there: The Libertines were better than Oasis!

Descendents were better than the Clash.

Nizlopi were better than Ween.

The Travelling Wilburys are better than Audioslave, but Audioslave are better than... than............. than...

There's no way to finish that sentence,  is there?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 30, 2014, 09:08:21 PM
The Travelling Wilburys are better than Audioslave, but Audioslave are better than... than............. than...

The Neurotic Outsiders?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Velvet Revolver?

thraxx

Appleton?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

GTR?

A bag of shite?

the science eel

Erasure?

KennyMonster

The bands that I was into as a teen all seem to be underdogs from the point of view of the history books[nb]Please don't laugh..........Carter USM, PWEI, WonderStuff, Kingmaker, EMF, 25th of May.[/nb].

Early to mid nineties, there seem to have been no bands in the UK at all.

Post Madchester and Pre Britpop nothing happened, it was all Grunge from the USA.

I've seen some really weird choices when BBC4 tries to look back at 90s music that it completely invalidates my trust in what they have said about the 70s or 80s.

Maybe because there was no catch-all term that they could be included in, but to me that makes it sound all the better because there was a bit of diversity.

Of course I will have a bias to the bands I like during the most formative teenage years but I really hate listening to Britpop now[nb]except maybe a bit of Pulp[/nb] but still go back to these bands and generally still like what I hear.

Goldentony

I find the slow, mournful & trumpety Frank Black Francis version of Velouria to be loads better than the regular Pixies version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfyTGRt0l2M

doppelkorn

The original version of Public Enemy's Shut 'Em Down is a thousand times better than the laconic yet somehow definitive Pete Rock Remix.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on July 30, 2014, 04:27:35 PM
Isn't it rumoured that Anthony "Tony" Wilson wrote the Monday's lyrics? And his labeling Shaun a better poet than Keats is just some elaborate situationist prank? Personally, I don't believe that. It smacks (if you'll pardon the drugs reference) of snobbery. I've met plenty of blokes like Shaun who just spout reams of gobbledegook poetry despite never having been to a Russell Group university or prestigious stage school. They can just do it. Better. 

I hate people who say things like "Isn't it rumoured..." then go on to spread the rumour like garden fence gossips. They snidey slide in then snide themselves together and snide out.

This is quite amusing from Shaun Ryder's autobiography, Twistin' My Melon (2011)

There was one song that I didn't have lyrics or a title for when we went in to record. A lot of the time when the band were jamming at rehearsals I just used to make up words to go along with the tune, and then later I'd work them out in my head and eventually write them down and arrange them, and possibly find similar words or phrases that fitted the song better to make sense of it. When we were in the studio I was reading a book about horoscopes by Russell Grant which someone had lent me, and when we were recording this one particular song I didn't have lyrics for, I just picked up the book and started singing what was written on the back cover: 'Hold on to your hats, this is the book that you've been waiting for, the book that tells you everything you need to know to help you understand, not only the one you love, but yourself too...' I just read it word for word off the back cover, and managed to make it fit with the tune. I thought about changing some of the words, but it actually fitted so well, I thought, 'Fuck, why do I need to write words? We'll just have that and call it "Russell".' Which is what we did. I don't think Russell Grant knows he was the inspiration for an early Happy Mondays song.

Don_Preston

Movement and the subsequent singles, is my favourite album of New Order.

shiftwork2

Quote from: KennyMonster on July 31, 2014, 01:02:30 PM
The bands that I was into as a teen all seem to be underdogs from the point of view of the history books[nb]Please don't laugh..........Carter USM, PWEI, WonderStuff, Kingmaker, EMF, 25th of May.[/nb].

I'm quite interested in this period (1990 - early 1992?) as it coincided with my formative years.  At the time I thought it was shaft and that I'd been cheated, and (as you point out) history hasn't been kind either.  I quite liked Carter I suppose, with the puns and the energy and the fellas called fruitbob.  But the rest left me completely cold.  The Stourbridge bands complained they weren't taken seriously because of the lack of identity of the Midlands but it wasn't just that - how many people could name more than one song by either band?  They just weren't that great.  It seemed to me to be a time of weird 'attitude' and attendant lack of quality, Miles Hunt pulling a gurning aggressive face in the music papers as if in reproach to not liking his forgettable music.  That man out of Jesus Jones telling us off for not liking his album because it was 'too principled'.  You wouldn't have had Madchester or Britpop chastising us for that, and the music was ten times better.  1990-92 was a fallow period.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: Goldentony on July 31, 2014, 04:25:53 PM
I find the slow, mournful & trumpety Frank Black Francis version of Velouria to be loads better than the regular Pixies version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfyTGRt0l2M

The farting noises make me want the last line to be "My Velouria...........I must put a roof on this lavatory"