Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,377
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic is better than Snickers (Rooting for the musical underdogs)

Started by alan nagsworth, July 29, 2014, 04:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

The first Carter USM album was a fantastically bleak and focussed piece of work by a band who built up a grassroots following on the live circuit, and as such deserves a place in the Indie Hall Of Fame alongside Meat Is Murder or any other reference point you care to mention.

After that though... 30 Something is just a remake of 101 Damnations with slightly more money and slightly less bile, as the charts are now within sight. And then we have the inevitable move to a major label, the inevitable push to get a top 10 single, and the inevitable slump back to unexciting top 40 positions afterward, leading to eventual loss of contract. 1992 was seen as "Carter by numbers" at the time by the fans, but they did have some inspired moments on the less-heralded 2 albums after that, but the students had all graduated by that point and weren't buying any more.

Cleaners From Venus

It was when I heard Airplane Food that I thought, "Hum...these guys may have changed a bit."

great_badir

Quote from: One off man mental on August 03, 2014, 03:10:39 AM
Curtis Mayfield was better than Marvin Gaye.

I do agree with you there, but to be fair it's mainly because Curtis had a long uninterrupted run of consistent quality right from his time with The Impressions, up to his late 70s solo career, and then another surge of quality in the latter years up to his death.  Whilst Marvin's REALLY good period only lasted, what, 5 years tops, if that?  Before that he was watered down pop-soul for a white audience, and after that he just became a sweaty and rapey parody of himself (apologies to Marvin die-hards).  In fact, at the end, he was pretty much Theophilus P. Wildebeeste.

Janie Jones

Echo & the Bunnymen were better than the Cure.
Subway Sect were better than The Buzzcocks
The Monochrome Set were better than The Divine Comedy and Space put together.

the science eel

Quote from: Janie Jones on August 03, 2014, 11:54:41 PM
Echo & the Bunnymen were better than the Cure.
Subway Sect were better than The Buzzcocks

Good man.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Cleaners From Venus on August 03, 2014, 11:48:39 AM
I love it when people are saying, "x were better than Cast."

It's just a given.
Thing is I don't even think the Bluetones are actually better than Cast. It's just that the Bluetones are from round my way, and are alright fellas.
Walk Away by Cast was the 'go-to' song for any montage footage of mid-late '90s English sporting prowess that'd seemed to be on-track for success, but ended up in failure because of some sad twist of fate. Euro '96/World Cup '98/every other sporting event comes to mind.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Janie Jones on August 03, 2014, 11:54:41 PM

The Monochrome Set are the gold standard for any attempt at "stylish", "literate", "aesthete" pop music. Next to them, all the wannabes stand exposed as a bunch of desperately pretentious 6th formers who've only half-read a Stephen Fry novel.

(Apart from Dickon Edwards, who is great. He wrote "Natures Hated", which gives him a free pass for everything else.)

Quote from: Mr Banlon on August 04, 2014, 01:21:41 AM
Walk Away by Cast was the 'go-to' song for any montage footage of mid-late '90s English sporting prowess that'd seemed to be on-track for success, but ended up in failure because of some sad twist of fate. Euro '96/World Cup '98/every other sporting event comes to mind.

That role was later filled by Stop Crying Your Heart Out by Oasis.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 04, 2014, 01:28:15 PM
That role was later filled by Stop Crying Your Heart Out by Oasis.

It's not even possible to cry your heart out. Liam Gallagher is a fucking idiot. I'm glad nobody cares about him anymore.

Don_Preston

Quote from: One off man mental on August 03, 2014, 03:10:39 AM
Shack are better than The La's, The Stone Roses, Cast, Oasis and The Happy Mondays.

Are you a chap I know called Martin?

Don_Preston

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 04, 2014, 01:53:47 PM
It's not even possible to cry your heart out.

My Great Uncle went out that way, you heartless bastard!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Don_Preston on August 04, 2014, 01:54:45 PM
My Great Uncle went out that way, you heartless bastard!

That sounds unsavoury for all concerned.

Don_Preston

I realise if you really were heartless, you'd be like my poor late great uncle. Apologies!

Don_Preston

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 29, 2014, 04:24:09 PM
This was different. My mate was going away to Turkey for a few months, so we smoked a bloody massive chocolate blunt - rolled and stuck with some premium honey, no less - and listened to Dark Side of the Moon. FUCK ME!

That's as good an anti-drug campaign as ever I've heard one.

Nowhere Man

Sometimes I think Parliament/Fuckadelic > everything else

Neville Chamberlain

^ I get that feeling with Cardiacs!

Pigment Vehicle > NoMeansNo

Don_Preston

The SYR EP series > Sonic Youth's albums.

The Ex > Chumbawamba (sorry fellers!)

Levellers > Crass!

holyzombiejesus

Having your bellend sliced with a razorblade > Chumbawamba

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Bob Dylan's voice > Bob Dylan's lyrics

Same with Mark E Smith

Mr Banlon

Shona McGough > Sarah Cracknell
Belle et Sebastien  > Belle and Sebastian

lazyhour

doppelkorn