Author Topic: "The Boy From Space" coming to DVD  (Read 736 times)

surreal

• The monkey and the plywood violin
    • toosurreal.com
"The Boy From Space" coming to DVD
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
Dark memories for those of a certain age:

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/07/bbcs-terrifying-the-boy-from-space-finally-coming-to-dvd.html

Special features
·         The complete 1980 series (10 x 20 mins): all ten episodes of the BBC's classic Look and Read series, featuring Dan, Helen and Peep-peep's story, as well as helpful reading tips from Wordy and Cosmo
·         Feature-length presentation (70 mins): exclusive version of Dan, Helen and Peep-peep's adventures, edited specially for this release
·         BBC Records LP - audio version (55 mins): original spoken word recordings from the 1972 vinyl release, narrated by Charles Collingwood (the voice of Brian Aldridge in Radio 4's The Archers)
·         BBC Records LP - film version (55 mins): an exclusive presentation, combining the audio from the 1972 LP with film and video footage from the 1980 TV broadcast
·         Wordy's Think-ups: 19 original animations from the series
·         Downloadable PDFs of the original 1971 and 1979 pupil's pamphlets
·         Illustrated booklet with essays by British TV experts Ben Clarke and Christopher Perry, and recollections by composer Paddy Kingsland

Read more: http://twitchfilm.com/2014/07/bbcs-terrifying-the-boy-from-space-finally-coming-to-dvd.html#ixzz393lkJptD

billtheburger

• No-one’s ‘just friends’ with a bellydancer!
Re: "The Boy From Space" coming to DVD
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »
What next, Badger Girl?

surreal

• The monkey and the plywood violin
    • toosurreal.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
What was the one with the peregrine falcon?  (and no, not "Kes" before anyone says that)

EDIT: It was "Sky Hunter"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:47:46 PM by surreal »

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »
I can remember something or other about it scaring the absolute shit out of me. A staircase maybe?

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:24:48 PM »
I can remember something or other about it scaring the absolute shit out of me. A staircase maybe?

You're not thinking of the title sequence of "Dark Towers", are you? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmFcfdqKWQY
(Scary staircase (scarecase) at 0:22)

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »

[spoiler]There was a cliff-hanger in one of the episodes in which someone unknown was coming up the stairs. The eight-year-old me dreamt that the resolution was that it was the milkman. Thanks brain, for hanging on to that memory above all others.[/spoiler]

I wonder if any of the classic songs I remember were in that series? I think "Magic E" and "Chicken and Chips" were probably Look and Read.

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 06:39:12 PM »
[Spoiler]There was a cliff-hanger in one of the episodes in which someone unknown was coming up the stairs. The eight-year-old me dreamt that the resolution was that it was the milkman. Thanks brain, for hanging on to that memory above all others.[/Spoiler]

I wonder if any of the classic songs I remember were in that series? I think "Magic E" and "Chicken and Chips" were probably Look and Read.

Also, I doubt I'm the first to mention this, but Peep-peep's a dead ringer for King Joffrey isn't he?

(D'oh, meant to edit rather than quote.)

biggytitbo

• WHAT ABOUT THE GODDAM JAFFA CAKES ASSWIPE
    • theunredacted
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 06:43:38 PM »
Geordie racer NOW.

And Dark Towers obviously.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 06:52:21 PM »

They were Look and Read, yes.  Along with Bill the Brickie encouraging us to "build yourself a word" and random stuff about raindrops "squelching" in people's eyes.

I don't know if it has been taken down from youtube, but The Boy From Space has for a long time been on there in its entirety - in other words including all the Wordy sections with the animations and songs[nb]It's been deleted:  http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA6F6B70E24BCE827  :([/nb].  Dark Towers and Fairground and various others exist online only in edited "drama only" versions, as far as I'm aware.

• Stumbling round like a mental
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »
Just got my copy in the post, watched the opening few minutes to see how it looks.

I was only 6 when I first saw it, and it stuck with me ever since.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 09:09:37 AM »
Tangentially related, BFI are also releasing The Glitterball as part of their Children's Film Foundation collection; this DVD is a set called "Outer Space" and includes two other films that I've never heard of:  http://youtu.be/m-3sGWAD2aI

I haven't seen Glitterball since I was about seven, so it's probably a dreadful film in retrospect, but I have fond memories of it anyway.  From the CFF it was this and Sammy's Super T-Shirt that stayed with me, and in the early days of the internet wound me up by seeming to have never existed.