Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"The Boy From Space" coming to DVD

Started by surreal, July 31, 2014, 04:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Dark memories for those of a certain age:

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/07/bbcs-terrifying-the-boy-from-space-finally-coming-to-dvd.html

QuoteSpecial features
·         The complete 1980 series (10 x 20 mins): all ten episodes of the BBC's classic Look and Read series, featuring Dan, Helen and Peep-peep's story, as well as helpful reading tips from Wordy and Cosmo
·         Feature-length presentation (70 mins): exclusive version of Dan, Helen and Peep-peep's adventures, edited specially for this release
·         BBC Records LP - audio version (55 mins): original spoken word recordings from the 1972 vinyl release, narrated by Charles Collingwood (the voice of Brian Aldridge in Radio 4's The Archers)
·         BBC Records LP - film version (55 mins): an exclusive presentation, combining the audio from the 1972 LP with film and video footage from the 1980 TV broadcast
·         Wordy's Think-ups: 19 original animations from the series
·         Downloadable PDFs of the original 1971 and 1979 pupil's pamphlets
·         Illustrated booklet with essays by British TV experts Ben Clarke and Christopher Perry, and recollections by composer Paddy Kingsland

Read more: http://twitchfilm.com/2014/07/bbcs-terrifying-the-boy-from-space-finally-coming-to-dvd.html#ixzz393lkJptD

billtheburger

surreal

What was the one with the peregrine falcon?  (and no, not "Kes" before anyone says that)

EDIT: It was "Sky Hunter"

hummingofevil

I can remember something or other about it scaring the absolute shit out of me. A staircase maybe?

Quote from: hummingofevil on July 31, 2014, 05:19:55 PM
I can remember something or other about it scaring the absolute shit out of me. A staircase maybe?

You're not thinking of the title sequence of "Dark Towers", are you? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmFcfdqKWQY
(Scary staircase (scarecase) at 0:22)

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: hummingofevil on July 31, 2014, 05:19:55 PM

Spoiler alert
There was a cliff-hanger in one of the episodes in which someone unknown was coming up the stairs. The eight-year-old me dreamt that the resolution was that it was the milkman. Thanks brain, for hanging on to that memory above all others.
[close]

I wonder if any of the classic songs I remember were in that series? I think "Magic E" and "Chicken and Chips" were probably Look and Read.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 31, 2014, 06:38:06 PM
Spoiler alert
There was a cliff-hanger in one of the episodes in which someone unknown was coming up the stairs. The eight-year-old me dreamt that the resolution was that it was the milkman. Thanks brain, for hanging on to that memory above all others.
[close]

I wonder if any of the classic songs I remember were in that series? I think "Magic E" and "Chicken and Chips" were probably Look and Read.

Also, I doubt I'm the first to mention this, but Peep-peep's a dead ringer for King Joffrey isn't he?

(D'oh, meant to edit rather than quote.)

biggytitbo

Geordie racer NOW.

And Dark Towers obviously.

Replies From View

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 31, 2014, 06:38:06 PM

They were Look and Read, yes.  Along with Bill the Brickie encouraging us to "build yourself a word" and random stuff about raindrops "squelching" in people's eyes.

I don't know if it has been taken down from youtube, but The Boy From Space has for a long time been on there in its entirety - in other words including all the Wordy sections with the animations and songs[nb]It's been deleted:  http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA6F6B70E24BCE827  :([/nb].  Dark Towers and Fairground and various others exist online only in edited "drama only" versions, as far as I'm aware.

Just got my copy in the post, watched the opening few minutes to see how it looks.

I was only 6 when I first saw it, and it stuck with me ever since.

Replies From View

Tangentially related, BFI are also releasing The Glitterball as part of their Children's Film Foundation collection; this DVD is a set called "Outer Space" and includes two other films that I've never heard of:  http://youtu.be/m-3sGWAD2aI

I haven't seen Glitterball since I was about seven, so it's probably a dreadful film in retrospect, but I have fond memories of it anyway.  From the CFF it was this and Sammy's Super T-Shirt that stayed with me, and in the early days of the internet wound me up by seeming to have never existed.