Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:42:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Question about "Jam"

Started by BJB, August 03, 2014, 02:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJB

So...this is weird. I haven't posted here in some time for, well, stupid reasons really. But I am content to lurk now and then, like the kid who starts hanging out a bit too "close" to his crush, before liking all her Facebook pics and crying.

Because your all much more knowledgeable then me about such matters, I was wondering, was there any promotional/publicity material for Jam? I've just written a blog where I said there was nothing at all, but now I feel like I'm probably forgetting something, and am asking if anyone remembers anything from the time? I'm pretty sure there were no trailers, but there there any print ads? Radio spots? Anything?

Am I being cheeky? Probably. But we all know there's only one place to go to for obscure CM related queries.   

Hall Gnough

No official adverts but it was heavily championed on Radio Four's woman's hour - brought in the bulk of its audience.

Gavin M

I definitely remember trailers - I even remember discussing one with my friend (who certainly didn't watch the show) showing the two men shooting each other in the backside.

I only remember seeing one trailer for it, and that was just the 'Indian Restaurant Fight' sketch with a "Jam - Coming Soon" card after it.   Seem to recall it came on after an episode of The Simpsons which surprised me a bit.

I would've thought there might have been a handful of newspaper/magazine articles about it, but I certainly don't remember reading any actual interviews with Morris promoting it. 

Tiny Poster

The NME and a few other music mags certainly covered this and Blue Jam, and promotional materials were sent out - I'm positive there are scans on this very site.

Also BJB, for maximum cool points, it's "jam", all lower-case.

BJB

Quote from: Tiny Poster on August 03, 2014, 07:03:13 PM
Also BJB, for maximum cool points, it's "jam", all lower-case.

Do you know, I sat and pondered over whether to spell it that way for ages. Duly noted.

Hugh Jass

Quote from: Gavin M on August 03, 2014, 05:44:09 PM
I definitely remember trailers - I even remember discussing one with my friend (who certainly didn't watch the show) showing the two men shooting each other in the backside.

That specific trailer was on the My Wrongs DVD. That DVD was released after "jam" premiered, so this information is quite useless.

There definitely are a few Blue Jam posters floating about. 

Thomas

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on August 03, 2014, 06:59:07 PM
I would've thought there might have been a handful of newspaper/magazine articles about it, but I certainly don't remember reading any actual interviews with Morris promoting it.

A few articles here -

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/page,cabkbcat/cat,2.html

'The Last Tempation Of Chris' at the bottom of that list is an interview, posted elsewhere as 'The Distorted World of Chris Morris'.

Billy

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on August 03, 2014, 06:59:07 PM
I only remember seeing one trailer for it, and that was just the 'Indian Restaurant Fight' sketch with a "Jam - Coming Soon" card after it.   Seem to recall it came on after an episode of The Simpsons which surprised me a bit.

Probably not The Simpsons as it didn't start airing on Channel 4 until 2004.

Unless the trailer aired on BBC Two or Sky, which would be incredible if unlikely.

Gavin M

Quote from: Hugh Jass on August 03, 2014, 07:38:06 PM
That specific trailer was on the My Wrongs DVD. That DVD was released after "jam" premiered, so this information is quite useless.

I've never seen the My Wrongs DVD in my life, so I certainly didn't see the trailer from that.  As I said my friend also saw the trailer, and there's no way he'd go anywhere near watching anything by Chris Morris, not on purpose at least.

Rev

The bumgun trailer was all over late night Channel 4 at the time, as was another trailer that featured the end of the Doc knee sketch, and indeed the restaurant fight (I think they introduced that one halfway though the run, but might be wrong).  If you watched Channel 4 at any point after 10pm in the weeks before or during, you were guaranteed to see one.

Other than that the approach seemed to bigging it up to papers and such - the Guardian Guide at the time gave it a full page at the front of their TV section, and that seems to be the kind of thing they were going for.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I think at least a section of 'synchronised cocks' was used for promotional purposes.

TJ

Loaded certainly covered it. There were also a few billboard hoardings with the cast in 'themed' costumes (ie all dressed in yellow macs and rainhats and that sort of thing).

Shaky

I remember a Morris/Jam feature in Heat, back when it was actually a decent TV/film mag. Accompanied by a picture of him running in a suit, I think.

AND IT WAS 14 YEARS AGO JESUS CHRIST.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: TJ on August 06, 2014, 12:58:34 AM
Loaded certainly covered it. There were also a few billboard hoardings with the cast in 'themed' costumes (ie all dressed in yellow macs and rainhats and that sort of thing).

On a sidenote, does anyone remember this tape from Loaded magazine? I still have it somewhere. Ali G, Partridge and Morris's Taxi thingie. Chris Morris is ordering some guy around, telling him to annoy the taxi driver with strange requests and I also think he makes the guy go into a hotel and speak gibberish to a security guard.

http://www.discogs.com/Ali-G-Alan-Partridge-Chris-Morris-Loaded-Presents/release/2512945

Thomas

That'll be Paul Garner, a regular public service-botherer in the Music Shows -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQEX2qL_YHI

Kane Jones

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on August 07, 2014, 09:31:26 PM
On a sidenote, does anyone remember this tape from Loaded magazine? I still have it somewhere. Ali G, Partridge and Morris's Taxi thingie. Chris Morris is ordering some guy around, telling him to annoy the taxi driver with strange requests and I also think he makes the guy go into a hotel and speak gibberish to a security guard.

http://www.discogs.com/Ali-G-Alan-Partridge-Chris-Morris-Loaded-Presents/release/2512945

Yeah, I've got that tape kicking around somewhere.  And Thomas is perfectly correct.

TJ

That and Eat Whale Meat are actually taken from an unreleased BBC Radio Collection CD of highlights of the CM Radio 1 shows, which was due for release in 1995 but in the end couldn't be cleared due to the various bits and pieces of pop records in the sketches. To this day, nobody knows what else would have been on it apart from Everybody Get Fat On Cream.

The tape also featured some Blue Jam material that wasn't on the eventual CD...