Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:59:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Studio Ghibli Closing

Started by Urinal Cake, August 04, 2014, 12:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121379

On one hand  it would've been interesting what they did without Hayao Miyazaki, on the other hand it would've been awful what they did without  Hayao Miyazaki.

Thursday

It's sad but it may end up being for the best as their films have always had more of a personal vision behind them than Disney. Despite them always being called the Japanese Disney it's not quite accurate. They do have some other good people working with them though, Yonebayashi who did Arriety and what will be their last film seems pretty good. I suppose the only problem it'll mean having to put the work in to see what happens next and where to go for something that captures the same vibe.

Still we do have two films left to come from them. The Tale of Princess Kaguya looks staggering, might be the most beautiful animation I've ever seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCT2O0qaG0

Consignia

I think you are misinterpreting what's being said. They are considering restructuring, and how Ghibli is going to look in the future. One of the things is worth having a production department if you don't have the creative staff to head it. It's by no means definite that they are going to stop, though.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Why are "experts" always forgetting Isao Takahata? He was a founder of the studio, he gave them Grave of the Fireflies and I'd even say that Tale of the Princess Kaguya is a much more satisfying film than The Wind Rises.

Consignia

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on August 04, 2014, 11:59:05 AM
Why are "experts" always forgetting Isao Takahata? He was a founder of the studio, he gave them Grave of the Fireflies and I'd even say that Tale of the Princess Kaguya is a much more satisfying film than The Wind Rises.

I may be wrong, but I don't think films not helmed by Miyazaki do that well in terms of money. And this is going financial decision rather than an artistic one.

Thursday

Yeah I've heard Kaguya was a big flop despite getting a lot of praise from people who've seen it. I'd always assumed it was the Ghibli name rather than Miyazaki's that got people going to the cinema, but apparently not. Shame really, but it seems like people expect a certain kind of film from them and are disappointed when they produce something that doesn't fit in with that.

I don't think Takahata has officially retired, but he's 78 and works at such a slow pace that I assume there were no plans for him to do anything else.

Urinal Cake

I thought Goro Miyazaki was going to take over myself despite all the friction but I guess they decided otherwise.

greenman

Time to make a TV series based on the Nausicaa manga? or maybe a series of films?

popcorn

The studio has halted production. Why would now be the time to make a series of Nausicaa films?