Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:59:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters 3

Started by Shaky, August 04, 2014, 01:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

I'm sure this very topic has come up before... if so, forgive me, forgive me...

Rumours of a third Ghostbusters film refuse to die, even if for the last 10/15 years it's largely been Dan Aykroyd doing said rumouring. During this lengthy spell in development hell, his own scripts have been dismissed as flabbly & unfilmable (ie. shit), we've seen pivotal cast members die, other cast members have taken to stolling around in public with crystal skulls under their arms, and Bill Murray is seemingy sitting on a hilltop somewhere smirking at the whole sorry affair.

Now the latest gossip (pinch of salt included) suggests that Bridesmaids director Paul Feig might helm an all-female remake/reboot/whatever - yes Melissa McCarthy et al included.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/04/paul-feig-asked-to-direct-ghostbusters-3

Even bearing in mind the likelihood of such a rumour being total shite, is there any way this - or any possible configuration of celluloid granules - might actually contribute to a decent, nay dignified, Ghostbusters 3?

checkoutgirl

Was Melissa McCarthy ever funny? I hate her for some reason.

thraxx

That's great!  Actual, physical contact!  Can you move?

Replies From View

There won't be a dignified Ghostbusters 3 if "Blues Brothers 2000" Aykroyd is at the helm.

I don't see the point in a reboot because the first Ghostbusters was already perfect.  I also don't see why a second sequel is needed, but if it must happen I'd prefer a completely new production team and cast (actors the same age as the original cast were in the 80s, please) working within the original films' universe. 

Wheeling out the surviving/willing old team would surely lead to some "next generation Ghostbusters" gubbins being set up and they'll undoubtedly be teenagers tagging along with the old men and being annoying.  Can't be arsed with that.  Skip straight to the new Ghostbusters team but not a reboot, that's what I say.  And don't let them be younger than their mid 30s.

Blumf

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 04, 2014, 01:45:10 PM
Was Melissa McCarthy ever funny? I hate her for some reason.

A Rosie O'Donnell for the 21st century?

madhair60

who you guh caw

go buddah

Tiny Poster

Given that every single franchise that made a decent profit/had some nostalgic cache prior to 2000 has been revived over the past decade (The A-Team, Crocodile Dundee, Tron, Miami Vice, 21 Jump Street) or is soon to be revived (Star Wars) then surely this is an inevitability.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on August 04, 2014, 01:55:48 PM
I don't see the point in a reboot because the first Ghostbusters was already perfect.

The point of a reboot is usually the least successful person involved going back to old glories for some success/money/recognition. If Steve Martin had just stopped in the mid nineties he probably would have had one of the best filmogrophies ever but he then made Cheaper By The Dozen and The Pink Panther and that abomination with Queen Latifah where it's funny because Queen Latifah is black and Steve Martin isn't. Has Ackroyd had any successes lately apart from that vodka you get in a glass skull? I'd bet he hasn't. Ramis is dead and Murray is successful, it can only be Ackroyd trying to convince himself it's for artistic reasons.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blumf on August 04, 2014, 02:02:26 PM
A Rosie O'Donnell for the 21st century?

I don't hate O'Donnell half as much, she must have done something I respect at some point. Maybe she made an arse of herself on Curb Your Enthusiasm and that was enough.

Ignatius_S

It's just been stuck in development hell too long – one of the problems, I believe, is that the rights issue has slowed things down to snail's pace.

As for an all-female cast, why not?

Personally, I think there's too much baggage to pull off a third film well.

Quote from: Shaky on August 04, 2014, 01:42:11 PM...Rumours of a third Ghostbusters film refuse to die, even if for the last 10/15 years it's largely been Dan Aykroyd doing said rumouring. During this lengthy spell in development hell, his own scripts have been dismissed as flabbly & unfilmable (ie. Shit)...

Yet, Aykroyd was brought back in to fix the last one and the, admittedly quite minor, reworking for the video game that he and Ramis did worked well.

Quote from: Replies From View on August 04, 2014, 01:55:48 PM
There won't be a dignified Ghostbusters 3 if "Blues Brothers 2000" Aykroyd is at the helm....

Mmm, not sure if the original Blues Brothers film was "dignified" – also, the way it's now viewed has evolved after time.

Quote from: Replies From View on August 04, 2014, 01:55:48 PM....Wheeling out the surviving/willing old team would surely lead to some "next generation Ghostbusters" gubbins being set up and they'll undoubtedly be teenagers tagging along with the old men and being annoying...

I don't get the sense that that's what has been touted for a while more – increasingly, it's been mooted that the original team are just no physically up to it any more (Ray was touted as having a bum knee, then a blind in one eye). I'm pretty sure that Aykroyd ages ago said that the original actors wouldn't be up to the physical demands.

Also, something that's been touted for a while  is that the Ghostbusters' team franchised their business – so a 'new' team could potentially already but busting ghosts. 

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 04, 2014, 02:08:35 PM...The point of a reboot is usually the least successful person involved going back to old glories for some success/money/recognition...

Hee, nice idea but it's usually Hollywood thinking this made money in the past, it'll make money again and it's safer than coming up with something new.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 04, 2014, 02:08:35 PM... Has Ackroyd had any successes lately apart from that vodka you get in a glass skull? I'd bet he hasn't...

Yogi Bear was a surprise hit and he got some decent mentions for Behind the Candelabra. However, I get the impression that quite a few films that Aykroyd does is because he wants to do it (e.g. Stardom) and he's appeared in some quite decent ones – IIRC, he said he was going to scale back after one film (House of Mirth, perhaps) but since then he's appeared in quite a few not very good, but very profitable films like 50 First Dates, so would say he's been doing very nicely out of high-paid cameos.

Also, he co-founded House of Blues – so with everything taken into account suspect he's not too short of a bob or two.

billtheburger

I hear poster Neville Chamberlain has plenty of ectoplasm they can use.

As for Bridesmaids, I watched it as research into the scripting of an all female comedy. I had to turn it off before the hour mark as most of the humour was based on crudeness or bitching. I hope if they do Ghostbusters all female - which I truly approve of - the humour is of a greater quality.

In the end, my attempt at an improved effort of an all female comedy was rejected, because it failed to make the readers laugh, though, and Bridesmaids made millions.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 04, 2014, 02:40:59 PM
Mmm, not sure if the original Blues Brothers film was "dignified"

I can assure you that Blues Brothers 2000 was a fall from grace.

Replies From View

As for an all-female cast, why not?

Bit of a contrivance isn't it?  Even real life has some men in it.

checkoutgirl

Also, he co-founded House of Blues – so with everything taken into account suspect he's not too short of a bob or two.

He's minted alright, he's a very shrewd businessman by the looks of it. His filmography is impressive in a continuing to find work sense, which is fair enough. A lot of folk with his money wouldn't bother. Having said that he's been in at least 75% average to bad films and I could see the appeal of topping the cake with a Ghostbusters success. It's true that usually stuff like rebooting is driven by studios not having to present new ideas to audiences who are frightened and trembling but it's such a banal point I couldn't even be bothered making it. Akroyd's been involved in a lot of shite lately whatever way you look at it as well.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on August 04, 2014, 03:14:22 PM

What the fuck has real life got to do with it? It's ghosts for chrissakes.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: billtheburger on August 04, 2014, 03:06:23 PM
As for Bridesmaids, I watched it as research into the scripting of an all female comedy. I had to turn it off before the hour mark as most of the humour was based on crudeness or bitching.

Is that the film that ends with Wilson Phillips singing their shitty song? Because I thought that was a pile of old shite. Why did even people whose opinion I respect say it was so good?

Replies From View

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 04, 2014, 03:22:30 PM
What the fuck has real life got to do with it? It's ghosts for chrissakes.

Apparently set in an alternate reality where only women exist?  Or am I missing the point?  I've not seen Bridesmaids and the other ones, so while I'm not against the idea if it's not merely a gimmicky contrivance I'm not really appreciating the benefits of an entirely female cast.

Replies From View

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 04, 2014, 03:21:24 PM
Having said that he's been in at least 75% average to bad films and I could see the appeal of topping the cake with a Ghostbusters success.

He sounds like a true gambler.

BritishHobo

Am I wrong in thinking that the female Ghostbusters idea has been floating around for a while now? I'm convinced I read something about it, with Kristen Wiig as a possibility, a few years back; the Pail Feig/Bridesmaids talk is giving me deja vu.

Cleaners From Venus

Oh God, it'll have Zooey in it won't it?

billtheburger

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 04, 2014, 03:24:32 PM
Is that the film that ends with Wilson Phillips singing their shitty song? Because I thought that was a pile of old shite. Why did even people whose opinion I respect say it was so good?
Sorry, I didn't make it that far, so cannot confirm.
It did have Chris O'Dowd & Matt Lucas in it though.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Replies From View on August 04, 2014, 03:38:08 PM
Apparently set in an alternate reality where only women exist?  Or am I missing the point?  I've not seen Bridesmaids and the other ones, so while I'm not against the idea if it's not merely a gimmicky contrivance I'm not really appreciating the benefits of an entirely female cast.

Well, assuming that the "all-female cast" just refers to the main ghostbusters rather than literally every actor in the film, I don't see how it's any more contrived than the all-male team of the original.

Really can't be arsed with a third Ghostbusters, though. Produce more original film ideas, please, film people.

touchingcloth

If they want to revive Ghostbusters with female leads AND tie it in with something already popular, then the premise of the film should be that Leslie Knope has been promoted to head of the Ghostbusting department of Pawneee. Well, I say promoted...

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 04, 2014, 04:34:02 PM
Well, assuming that the "all-female cast" just refers to the main ghostbusters rather than literally every actor in the film, I don't see how it's any more contrived than the all-male team of the original.

That's obviously what I meant when I suggested I might have been missing the point.  If they meant specifically "female Ghostbusters" or then they could have said that or "female leads", since an all-female cast or even a Bugsy Malone style all-child one don't seem entirely impossible routes for them to go down.

thraxx

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 04, 2014, 05:06:33 PM
If they want to revive Ghostbusters with female leads AND tie it in with something already popular, then the premise of the film should be that Leslie Knope has been promoted to head of the Ghostbusting department of Pawneee. Well, I say promoted...

Yeah, what it really needs is the Ghostbusters played by Queen Latifah, Beyoncé, Pink and Nick Minaj with a special appearance of Whoopi Goldberg as the head ghostbuster.  Then they could bring back the nasty white man in the painting from Ghosbusters Two as the villain, played by whoever the bloke was that played the agent in The Matrices.  Ass kickin independent wimin soundtrack and there you have the whole pitch.

Of course in the final reckoning, there would be a "hey, can't we all just lifve and let live, there's room enough on earth for us all to get along, man" speech by Queen Latifah and the ghosts would say "hmmm, there is truth in what you say human - can you please show us how to get down and be independent spirits?"  then Pink says "yeah, let's have like a motherfreakin' par-tay" and they all have a jolly great concert in which there is a cameo shot of all the famous old ghosts and ghost busters from the previous films, like that bit at the end of Return of the Jedi with the ghosts of yoda and ben kenobi and darth vader and that.

touchingcloth

I'm now unable to stop thinking about a version of Ghostbusters which is just Parks & Rec in beige overalls. You'd have Ron Swanson tut-tutting at the wasteful cost of all the Ghostbusting equipment, Andy accidentally crossing the stream from his proton pack with someone else's, Aziz Ansari saying something like "oh no, a ghooooost", and the nonce from Wayne's World apologising profusely to a ghost before adeptly busting it.

Leslie Knope looks on and hilarity ensues around her.

Replies From View

I can't stop thinking of a version of Ghostbusters that has Ricky Gervais as Ray Stantz (based on the fat cartoon version) and Stephen Merchant as Egon Spengler, and they endlessly crack jokes about how black Winston Zeddemore is and how long his penis must be.

Could have that Gareth one in the Rick Moranis role and women playing the receptionist and Sigourney Weaver.

Tiny Poster

See, Chris Pratt is shurely such an obvious choice for a new Ghostbuster that they can't actually choose him.

SteveDave

Quote from: Replies From View on August 04, 2014, 03:14:22 PM

#notallmen

SteveDave

Quote from: Tiny Poster on August 04, 2014, 06:20:54 PM
See, Chris Pratt is shurely such an obvious choice for a new Ghostbuster that they can't actually choose him.

Seth Rogen
James Franco
Jonah Hill
Lenny Henry