Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:26:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters 3

Started by Shaky, August 04, 2014, 01:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: Glebe on June 08, 2017, 02:19:18 AM
The original was genuinely scary, something that I felt was lacking from the reboot. The cast are hugely talented (I am madly in love with Kate McKinnon, folks!), and it was generally quite funny, but the ghosts were kinda reduced to blue CGI people.

Honestly it always seemed a mismatch in style, Fieg is decent enough at making fairly strait forward physical/embarrassment comedies but Hollywood seems to have given up on the potential for anything else from the genre, they'd have IMHO been better off going for someone like Shane Black.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: greenman on June 08, 2017, 01:40:58 PM
Honestly it always seemed a mismatch in style, Fieg is decent enough at making fairly strait forward physical/embarrassment comedies but Hollywood seems to have given up on the potential for anything else from the genre, they'd have IMHO been better off going for someone like Shane Black.

Yeah - I feel that's a good point about the mismatch in style and that was one of my main concerns (but was hoping to be proved wrong). The idea of someone like Shane Black, though? Thinking about it, I agree!

greenman

You look at something like the Nice Guys last year for example and I think it shows Hollywood has a much more open mind to a genre film with comedy than it does for comedy with genre film aspects, the latter basically just ends up as simplistic fodder ala Spy which whilst perhaps passable entertainment doesn't really show anything like the ambition of the original Ghosbusters or honestly even the smartness of humour.

Fieg would be better off remaking something like Police Academy that sticks to a more conventional formula.

Replies From View

Quote from: greenman on June 08, 2017, 02:31:58 PM
Fieg would be better off remaking something like Police Academy that sticks to a more conventional formula.

And which wouldn't be harmed by a reboot since most of its sequels were such irredeemable gash.

That's the thing about Hollywood.  They want to make money by remaking/rebooting franchises that already have fantastic reputations, so they can piggyback on the strong branding that already exists.  They could take a weak brand and make it stronger with an incredible remake/reboot that works on its own terms, but they never want to take that risk.

Or they could just come up with some good original ideas and do those, but I know that's definitely asking too much.

samadriel

I guess Baywatch and Chips are dud series that have had recent failed comedy remakes; better off making original stuff.

saltysnacks

Quote from: samadriel on June 11, 2017, 03:21:45 PM
I guess Baywatch and Chips are dud series that have had recent failed comedy remakes; better off making original stuff.

I'm waiting for a Hollywood remake of Love Thy Neighbour.

Glebe

Twed

Trying to walk off that skyscraper 33 years earlier was a cry for help.

Steven

Quote from: Glebe on June 21, 2017, 08:47:25 PM
'Ghostbusters II' Twin Actor who Played Baby Oscar Commits Suicide.

Fucking horrendous, poor guy.

Cosidering his schizoaffective disorder, I wonder if a painting told him to do it?

Replies From View

Quote from: Twed on June 21, 2017, 08:57:51 PM
Trying to walk off that skyscraper 33 years earlier was a cry for help.

I've always thought that eating it in the first place was pretty desperate.

Glebe

Ghostbusters animated movie detailed, possible 2019 release.

Also mention of another live-action film there, but it's going to be awhile before we see that.