Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais plans David Brent: The Movie

Started by Nowhere Man, August 05, 2014, 03:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Queneau on August 06, 2014, 09:53:08 AM
This thread is going to be absolutely huge.

The pre-amble out the way, its warming up..."just saying'" is like the bell for the opening round.

Neil

He should call the movie "I Was The Best Thing In The Office, and Steve's Contributions Were Minimal."

Admittedly it'd be a fairly long and unwieldy title.

Quote from: Paisley on August 06, 2014, 02:06:49 PM
He's linking to a Guardian poll now:

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/497001533759037440

Jesus, what a sad cunt.

Poll text for posterity,  as he'll quickly remove the evidence when his sycophants have buggered it:

QuoteUrgent: Another pointless poll bit.ly/1svrBHU please vote now with all your heart :(

2:49pm - 6 Aug 14

'Please vote in this poll which I don't even care about anyway...honest! '

He's just Rick from The Young Ones, isn't he, perpetually screeching "HANDS UP WHO LIKES ME!"

BritishHobo

Quote from: Paisley on August 06, 2014, 02:06:49 PM
He's linking to a Guardian poll now:

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/497001533759037440

He really can't let anything go. Poor guy. Where are his friends? Why hasn't anyone staged an intervention yet?

That just genuinely makes me sad. There's something so much more futile and desperate about cajoling his fans to vote in that than to vote for him against other celebrities. The Radio Times poll worked as different fanbases showing support for their 'hero', but this is purely about people's opinion of him. He's literally just saying 'please crowd the poll so that it the critical opinions get drowned out'.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 05, 2014, 05:04:08 PM
Imagine if David Brent and Derek went on tour together. What would happen when the unstoppable force of Ricky's urge to make ironic jokes about any non-white or non-able-bodied/minded person meets the immovable object of Ricky's denial that Derek is anything other than  just very very kind and special? Some form of universe-destroying paradox, I would imagine, and just soon enough, considering we would be watching a Derek movie.

God, I wish we were getting an actual Derek film instead of this. This Brent thing just sounds like it'll be pretty predictable and dull with a handful of amusing moments, but the thought of the sheer heights of fucking mental insanity that a feature-length Derek outing would reach just makes my head spin.

At this point though I actually wouldn't be that surprised if Gervais worked a Derek cameo into this film. It could be like that bit in Ali G Indahouse where Ali G meets Borat, but with more kindness and headlocks.

Thomas

QuoteIf you love doing what you do, you shouldn't even be aware of what people think of it, let alone worry about their opinions. Have fun :)

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/497004923561975810

:)

Neil

^ Love how that tweet has his Favstar notifications in the replies.

The movie: has he said it's the best thing he's ever written, yet, or is he waiting until he's written it?

Thomas, dunno if you've looked up the old thread, but I understand the Xmas Special is just one thing now. When it was broadcast, it was in two parts. After the first one went out, the reception was quite downbeat, on here, causing a few posters to rub their mitts in glee. Then the second part delivered the feel-good Xmas vibes we all hankered for, and all was well. Always liked that; enjoyed the bleak misery of the first part, and the eventual puncturing of that dynamic with some small (at least jn Brent's case) but significant wins.

This movie will likely be a cluster-fuck, with the mawkish Derek-style spoon-feeding that he now artlessly shovels in to appeal to mass, undiscerning audiences.

BritishHobo

It's fine to care what people think. There is bad criticism, unreasonable, unfair, overly harsh, and downright abusive criticism. It's fine to be annoyed by that. It's also fine to acknowledge legitimate criticism of the way you act and the way you treat other people. The problem is shutting out any and all criticism, and then repeatedly saying things like that, when you clearly do care, otherwise you wouldn't keep trying to show off how indifferent you are.

Quote from: Adolf HitlerIf you love doing what you do, you shouldn't even be aware of what people think of it, let alone worry about their opinions. Have fun :)

HappyTree

What a sad act :-D He's sitting there on Twitter quoting The Little Book of Self Love he picked up beside the till in Windsor Castle gift shoppe.

If Gervais does kill Brent off it will give him a great opportunity to bring him back as the actual Messiah later on. That's what he really wants to be anyway.

checkoutgirl

QuoteIf you love doing what you do, you shouldn't even be aware of what people think of it unless they are Americans on Twitter saying how brilliant it is, in which case it's fine to know what other people think of it

There, much better.

BlodwynPig

Apparently the film we have a cameo from the Olympic 5k and 10k champion as a new but temporary love interest for Dawn. Expect to see a Mobot Brief Snog.

(this is what we have become).

Steven

I think he desperately wants to kill Brent off, but as it really is an exaggerated version of himself it's pretty impossible to do, plus deep down he knows that's still his lifeline to his fans. Remember when he had to fill time at the Diana benefit concert, and despite having tours as a stand-up with hours of material, he couldn't think of anything to say, until the crow started chanting "Do the dance!" which was the previous crowd-pleasing albatross around his neck, he half-heartedly shrugged and did it anyway. He pretends he's an austere auteur who gets on with his art and doesn't give a care, but he really just wants to please his imagined demographic in spite of anything.

Then he dragged out that Freelove Freeway song which was another crowd-favourite, which I don't know if the intention was to be edgy as he performed a carcrash song before Will & Harry with Crook singing the "She's dead!" line, was it just a crowd-pleaser that was misjudged or his attempt to be subversive? He has previous form with that Lady Di song from the Simpsons.

QuoteWould you have any interest in revisiting The Office sometime in the future?

"Even if we wanted to, we mustn't. I'd be too embarrassed to go back on my word. I think it would look desperate. And it would spoil the completeness of the 12 episodes and the special. I'm more interested in the legacy than wringing out the towel a bit more."

- Ricky Gervais, 2004

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,945340,00.html

BlodwynPig

The only The Office of the future i'm interested in is ...

Spoiler alert
Office Furniture[nb]
Spoiler alert
For my new Office
[close]
[/nb]
[close]

Replies From View

Quote from: Steven on August 06, 2014, 03:18:36 PM
Then he dragged out that Freelove Freeway song which was another crowd-favourite, which I don't know if the intention was to be edgy as he performed a carcrash song before Will & Harry with Crook singing the "She's dead!" line, was it just a crowd-pleaser that was misjudged or his attempt to be subversive? He has previous form with that Lady Di song from the Simpsons.

Didn't he also do a song about being a pug-nosed little fatso?

He's an odd man, he really is.

Queneau

Quote from: Steven on August 06, 2014, 03:18:36 PM
I think he desperately wants to kill Brent off, but as it really is an exaggerated version of himself it's pretty impossible to do, plus deep down he knows that's still his lifeline to his fans. Remember when he had to fill time at the Diana benefit concert, and despite having tours as a stand-up with hours of material, he couldn't think of anything to say, until the crow started chanting "Do the dance!" which was the previous crowd-pleasing albatross around his neck, he half-heartedly shrugged and did it anyway. He pretends he's an austere auteur who gets on with his art and doesn't give a care, but he really just wants to please his imagined demographic in spite of anything.

Just in case anybody has forgotten about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PhLTxW5M4E

The song he sings at the end is so prophetic.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Replies From View on August 06, 2014, 03:29:39 PM
Didn't he also do a song about being a pug-nosed little fatso?

He's an odd man, he really is.

He has David Bowie sing it to him in Extras.

And there was another song about Lady Di in the same episode of The Office, which he sings to Dawn to try and cheer her up after she has an argument with Lee.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 06, 2014, 03:31:14 PM
He has David Bowie sing it to him in Extras.

But why did Gervais sing it in that concert?

BritishHobo

I will say that I did feel bad for Gervais about the memorial concert. It is a bit embarrassing that he didn't have anything else to pull out, but it must have been fucking horrible to be in front of so many people, being watched on so many TVs, live, and get told to fill for two minutes, then another three minutes, then two more minutes. Pretty cunty of Elton and those in charge to not ensure that he's already ready and prepared to go out as soon as he has to.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: SexPestsAreMagic on August 06, 2014, 03:20:43 PM
"Even if we wanted to, we mustn't. I'd be too embarrassed to go back on my word. I think it would look desperate. And it would spoil the completeness of the 12 episodes and the special. I'm more interested in the legacy than wringing out the towel a bit more."
- Ricky Gervais, 2004

Why doesn't it say that on his goshdarn Twitter account rather than multi Emmy winning invincible terminator auteur with loads a money and amazing everything? Eh?

Queneau

BritishHobo

Quote from: Replies From View on August 06, 2014, 03:35:25 PM
But why did Gervais sing it in that concert?

Oh aye. I'd forgotten he sung it there until I rewatched the clip just now. I suppose it was all he could think to do. You can see, after he gets told (five minutes in) 'two more minutes', that he just sort of goes 'oh, fuck it' and launches into the first thing he can think of.

BritishHobo

Actually come to think of it, if you hadn't seen Extras, which a fair chunk of that audience won't have done, that song would sound very strange and worrying, a really self-hating ballad about being fat and hated and wanting to kill himself 'but the twat'd probably miss'. Combine that with his obvious stress and irritation, swearing and saying 'I don't care, I shouldn't be here', it must've been a strange thing to witness.

Steven

But surely the Freelove Freeway song was planned, he had Mackenzie Crook there to do the backing vocals?

Thinking about it, he obviously has a weird obsession with Lady Di and bad taste songs because he's done at least 2 of them. So maybe the plan was to do that Paris Nights song from the Office, but this was obviously in bad taste so he decided to skirt the issue with the Freeway song because it alludes to death and a car crash without directly implicating the bad taste intentions.

The Bowie song is an ultimate self-hating-loving-sophistiwank catharsis for Gervais, Bowie his idol, who he modelled himself on and tried to sing and be like but ultimately failed singing a self-penned song about himself, directly to his face about being a loser in his own artificial bell-jar of a show, it's like staring into the abyss and the abyss avoiding eye-contact.

BritishHobo

Oh yeah, that one's just straight-up laziness.

MuteBanana

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,945340,00.html

[twonk]Well he's not revisiting The Office. He had Brent before The Office so he can do what he likes with him.[/twonk]

That pointlessness of that poll makes Gervais wanting to manipulate the outcome even funnier. I mean it's not as if he'd drop the idea if 75% of the votes said they weren't looking forward to it. Yet he feels the need to shout down any negativity and on the same day tells people not to worry about what others think. I'm sure he thinks asking sarcastically is a get out clause if the results don't go his way.

phes

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 06, 2014, 02:49:13 PM
It's fine to care what people think. There is bad criticism, unreasonable, unfair, overly harsh, and downright abusive criticism. It's fine to be annoyed by that. It's also fine to acknowledge legitimate criticism of the way you act and the way you treat other people. The problem is shutting out any and all criticism, and then repeatedly saying things like that, when you clearly do care, otherwise you wouldn't keep trying to show off how indifferent you are.

another great example of ricky

not giving a shit about people who don't 'get it'

QuotePeople pander to the lowest common denominator because they want everyone to like something, and I don't want everyone to like something. I just want some people to love it. I look at my whole career and everything I do in a very Darwinian sense. I'm going to do exactly what I want, and it's either going to survive or it doesn't – and by survive, I mean some people will get it and some people don't, but I don't care about the people who don't get it. There are seven billion people on the planet. You don't need a very high percentage of those people to "get" something for it to be a huge global cult hit. I think people panic, and they look at the ratings in their own country, and they try and get this hit, the broad hit and things don't travel outside anyway. I think people worry too much about things being a big, instant, broad – and usually very transient – hit. It's sort of like the now boy bands of pop. They've become huge, but they're replaced immediately whereas the things that require taste might take a bit longer to get going and fewer people like them. There's a groundswell, and they last. Things like David Bowie and Radiohead are always going to be around longer and bigger and more importantly than these derivative boy bands that are like May flies, you know?

he just can't stop going on about not caring if people don't like his work. It's a source of endless amusement.

Queneau

Huge global cult hitmeister general, Ricky Gervais there.

Thomas

phes

- Ricky Gervais, 2004

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 06, 2014, 03:37:57 PM
Why doesn't it say that on his goshdarn Twitter account rather than multi Emmy winning invincible terminator auteur with loads a money and amazing everything? Eh?

twitter you say

Quote from: Ricky"As you may know I've stopped with Twitter," he wrote on his blog. "I just don't get it I'm afraid. I'm sure it's fun as a networking device for teenagers but there's something a bit undignified about adults using it. Particularly celebrities who seem to be showing off by talking to each other in public.

"If I want to tell a friend, famous or otherwise what I had to eat this morning, I'll text them. And since I don't need to make new virtual friends, it seemed a bit pointless to be honest."

it's almost like what he says has all the credibility of a walking, rattling bucket of dry dog-dirts. Almost, but not.

thraxx

Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2014, 02:23:11 PM

He's just Rick from The Young Ones, isn't he, perpetually screeching "HANDS UP WHO LIKES ME!"