Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:04:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deadpool movie leaked test footage

Started by Alski, August 06, 2014, 01:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal Vicuso

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 18, 2016, 05:29:44 PM
Super slaves.

Oh right - was that made clear then? I just saw a load of boxes, no caped musclemen in chains

THis is a silly film I think. Fun though

Famous Mortimer

There's an online petition to get Deadpool to host "Saturday Night Live". It'd either be the best or worst episode ever, but I doubt it'll happen as they've not done anything remotely mould-breaking in decades (there was a 1986 episode "directed" by Francis Ford Coppola, where he'd keep appearing to mess with the sketches).

Hank Venture

Best superhero movie made. Shits all over Kick Ass, Kingsman, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Smash hit at the theatre I saw it at, as well.

Colossus had me in tears. Great character.

I got a little tired of Deadpool's schtick. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a vague collection that Ryan Reynold's character in Blade Trinity was equally as wisecracking. So was he recycling an old routine?

Mister Six

Quote from: Sal Vicuso on February 18, 2016, 06:28:31 PM
Oh right - was that made clear then? I just saw a load of boxes, no caped musclemen in chains

There's a bit - I think just before they go to the merc bar where they find a pic of Deadpool's girlfriend - where you see Francis or his butch female pal locking a dude in a big container with a collar on.

My big unanswered (I think) questions were why there was a big, beached ship at the end, and why all the baddies were camped up inside it. And how Deadpool knew how to go there. And why they didn't have a better idea for stopping him, since they were luring him there, than just shooting him a bunch of times. And why we're all supposed to just assume that killing Francis stopped the whole operation, unless they're leaving that open for the sequel.

Anyway, I thought it was a fun enough action flick, but really disappointingly lazy. Take out Deadpool's wisecracks and the gore, you have an utterly conventional superhero movie with flimsy plotting and the same old beats (superhero distanced from girlfriend by powers; villains kidnap girlfriend to motive climactic battle). There was a real opportunity for something weird and different here, and the film just wasn't interested in taking it.

Partly I think that's because it probably went under a million rewrites in the past 11 years[nb]I read a leaked script maybe six or seven years ago and the only bits I recognised from that in this film were the frozen car-crash credits at the start, the bit where Deadpool spells out the baddie's name in corpses, and the gag with the Wolverine: Origins Deadpool toy.[/nb] - particularly as some characters felt like they'd had their roles dramatically hacked down but the writers couldn't bear to get rid of them. I'm thinking particularly of the Indian taxi driver (whose story never really gets a proper payoff) and the blind old woman who appears in, like, three scenes and doesn't contribute anything to the plot.

Still. I was hoping for something along the lines of Gremlins 2 - a film that just goes all-out with the craziness and meta humour - or at least a film that's less prone to Generic Superhero Plotting than what we got. It was almost as bad as Ant-Man in that regard.

I did find the romantic scenes genuinely very sweet and convincing, though.

Sal Vicuso

Quote from: Mister Six on February 22, 2016, 06:55:33 PM
There's a bit - I think just before they go to the merc bar where they find a pic of Deadpool's girlfriend - where you see Francis or his butch female pal locking a dude in a big container with a collar on.

My big unanswered (I think) questions were why there was a big, beached ship at the end

Ah right, must have missed that shot.

Was it a ship? It looked to me like the SHIELD flying ship from Avengers Assemble - I haven't seen Age of Ultron yet and assumed there was a bit in that where it was blown up and junked. Thought I saw those propeller type things that Ironman and Cap America had to fix in the first movie

Mister Six

Nah, Deadpool and the X-Men movies exist in a different universe to the Avengers films. Looked like a beached cargo ship, judging by all the big metal containers on it.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 14, 2016, 06:49:55 PMWhy
Spoiler alert
set up the mutation inducing oxygen chamber and have her trapped in it if not to foreshadow her developing powers of her own
[close]
?

Spoiler alert
Just to add some additional tension, I guess? Like Jasmine in the egg timer in Aladdin. The oxygen chamber wasn't supposed to be anything special, either - it just happened to be the one method of torture that triggered Wade's transformation. It was the stuff he was injected with earlier that gave him the super powers.
[close]

Dr Rock

It is supposed to be a SHIELD Helicarrier, possibly crashed in Winter Soldier or decommissioned, but they aren't allowed to make it too obvious because of the copyright clash.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Deadpool-Really-Did-Have-Major-Connection-Marvel-Avengers-Here-How-113067.html

Mister Six

Oh! Well that's dumb and annoying. And I still don't understand why the baddies were camped out there but whatever. Thanks for the link.

Dr Rock

Well I've watched a whole bunch of online interviews with the film-makers, so I can field all questions. The answer to any plotholes is script revision due to budget restrictions (not that this excuses any final content), they had to cut an epic motorbike chase which would have led Deadpool to the Helicarrier - I can't remb how he gets there in the actual movie -  and in the comics his gf does have superpowers and in an earlier draft she was going to get them in the movie, probably when she was trapped in that tube which triggers her mutation, but it was decided to drop her having any superpowers, for this movie at least.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The writers missed a trick by not having Deadpool use his metatextual awareness power to avoid any plot holes.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 22, 2016, 08:59:48 PM
The writers missed a trick by not having Deadpool use his metatextual awareness power to avoid any plot holes.

Yeah, he does reference budget/copyright restrictions when he makes the joke about only seeing two of the X-Men ever at the mansion. The bit where he realises he has forgotten all his guns was a cover-up for some big gunny scene they had planned but had to scrap. I enjoyed watching all the online content, and all the little ads that had stuff that wasn't in the movie. There's an interview with Ryan Reynolds where he reveals that the character of Dopinder is a tribute to someone he knew from school called Dopinder who was a real laugh until he got struck by lightning and died.

Famous Mortimer

Just got back from seeing it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the jokes were groaners, but by and large it was loads of fun. I do sometimes wonder if Ryan Reynolds could do something other than wisecrack all day, but he's certainly found the right character to pour that side of himself in.

And, you know, pegging.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 26, 2016, 06:53:42 PM
I do sometimes wonder if Ryan Reynolds could do something other than wisecrack all day
He was the only person onscreen in Buried, which was very good and he got good reviews for that gambling film he was in last year. Had this not been a success, I expect his days as a wisecracking action man would be over, after the floppiness of Green Lantern and R.I.P.D.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 26, 2016, 07:20:27 PM
.He was the only person onscreen in Buried
Ah, I forgot about that (by the way, I liked RIPD, even if the tone of it did see-saw a bit).

Tiny Poster

He's good in The Voices too, which is an admirable stab at portraying psychosis, but mixed with horror and comedy. It's an odd one.

phantom_power

Didn't Francis send him a text telling him where to meet them?

And Deadpool wasn't trying to stop the Super Slave plan. He was trying to get Francis to reverse the effects of the serum.

I thought it was jolly good fun. Very empty but then that is sort of the point. It is entirely about the spectacle and for me the only mis-steps were when they tried to do anything deeper.

up_the_hampipe

So yeah I saw this tonight. When he was killing people and quipping I thought it might be the worst film ever, but it got better. Some of the jokes landed, quite a few didn't, but I appreciate it for what it is. I'd watch a sequel, even though it might suck a sack of super boner dicks or whatever Deadpool would say.

I was really expecting some sort of quip about Francis being a poor man's Tom Hardy.

Glebe

Saw it yesterday (there was a mark on the screen, I hate it when there's a mark on the screen)... I actually thoroughly enjoyed it, for the most part. Some of the gags miss the mark, but it's fairly joke-packed right from the opening credits, and while it's probably even cruder and more graphic than I expected, it actually isn't as 'frat boy' as I feared at all. In fact, the 'serious' bits work surprisingly well (especially given the irreverent tone and meta stuff), it actually has a bit of emotional weight, and the action stuff is very well done. The audience I saw it with was fairly free of comic geeks ready to laugh at even joke, but after awhile they soon started chuckling. So yeah, not perfect but better than I thought it would be and the piss taking is great fun (the gag about
Spoiler alert
not being able to afford another X-Men character, for instance
[close]
).

lazarou

There may be a very decent copy of this doing the rounds (if hardcoded Korean subtitles don't put you off). Or so I hear.

Dr Rock

Quote from: phantom_power on March 03, 2016, 08:41:12 AM
And Deadpool wasn't trying to stop the Super Slave plan. He was trying to get Francis to reverse the effects of the serum.

He says his motivation is partly to stop what happened to him happening to anyone else. I suppose he was quite naive to think Francis could reverse anything.

Glebe

Deadpool Almost Had An Extremely Meta End Credits Sequence.

Quote[Jennifer Miller and Norn Johnson] pitched doing our own version of the Honest Trailers, where the guys go in and tell you everything that was wrong with the movie.  I loved that idea!  We actually wanted to get the guy who does them to do an Honest Trailers version of Deadpool and run it during the titles. I can't wait until they do one! [laughs]

That would have been great! Ah well... btw, the cited article, at Art of the Title, is fairly in-depth and may be worth a read if you're bothered.

Skip Bittman

well, at least they didn't go with an epic rap battle during the end titles.

I'm just glad they didn't do Cinema Sins.

wooders1978

Made it about 15 mins in before losing patience - it's not funny at all is it?

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: wooders1978 on June 07, 2016, 08:55:46 PM
Made it about 15 mins in before losing patience - it's not funny at all is it?

It gets a lot better, to be fair. I was much like yourself, ready to kick it through a bin by the 15 minute mark, but then I didn't, and by the 30 minute mark I was havin a right old time of it.

Paaaaul

I laughed twice, and both times were in the last act.
A pretty shite return when the film is constantly cracking gags.

Having said that, Deadpool is a useful addition to my mental film assessment skills. It is the most average film I think that I have ever seen. Nothing fails. Nothing hits the bullseye.
Anything better than Deadpool in my mind is 'good', anything worse is 'bad'. It works for now, but I'm sure in a few months time I will have forgotten ever seeing it, let alone remember its specific qualities.

monolith

There were some bits I really really liked even though one was telegraphed a mile a way (
Spoiler alert
the speech about having 4 or 5 moments to be a hero, knew what was coming but it was still funny
[close]
) and I'd watch a sequel but I wouldn't watch the film again.

So ends my amazing critique of the film, "Deadpool".

Spoiler alert
"Captain Deadpool"
[close]
made me laugh too.