Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The New Cricket Thread That Is Not The Old Cricket Thread

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 11, 2014, 11:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Let the wind sweep away the old. Let's forget the Ashes disaster and Cook's captaincy, and usher in the new era of positivity. Unless you're Sam Robson.

First post: Zimbabwe update
Shocker: They haven't got enough bowling to trouble South Africa particularly.
But still: Come on!!

rjd2

Ajmal been reported for chucking, initially thought it was the doosra but nope according to Pakistan's main cricinfo writer, its pretty much everything!

@OsmanSamiuddin

Most worrying that concern is over a number of deliveries, not specifically the doosra. #ajmal

Crikey, Pakistan can't afford to lose him or even to have him stripped of the doosra, not much young talent coming through in Pakistan sadly.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hmm, he's already been through this once before. Hope he doesn't coach Ali into chucking.

Have a read of some classic test series cliffhangers:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/768919.html

Shoulders?-Stomach!

First chance to see Matt Henry in the Lions match against New Zealand -
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/506612.html

Looks like a terrific prospect, got to say.

rjd2

I remember seeing his ODI debut against India, he looked really good.

No bowler in this England Lions tour has really enhanced their reputation. Its a concern as England have an insane workload next year, its vital that Finn gets fixed. Broad, Anderson are good and Jordan is promising in white ball cricket but what after that? Stokes and Woakes look more suited to the longer formats, while Gurney is unproven.

Also.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/28752606

Oh dear. Michael Vaughan for such a shrewd captain can be an idiot at times. Some fine individual performances from England , but lets not forget India have been diabolical for the last two tests. Reactionary twit, but heh he did want Morgan as captain.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's probably why Duncan Fletcher was such a good foil for Vaughan, the exact opposite of a reactionary. Between them they (pre-2005) made good decisions.

It is concerning how many ex-pros suddenly start kneejerking and using arguments for things they'd never have considered while they were playing. Loads of county observers pointed out that while Sky/TMS were remarking that Woakes had 'developed' an inswinging ball since the last test, Woakes had been getting wickets with it for the last two years at domestic level.

re: ODI cricket, need to persevere with Gurney- Bresnan might come back to 'do a job' (ie take 1-60) and eventually Finn will be thrown back in. Really can't be relying too heavily on Broad and Anderson in regular ODIs, though I'm sure they'll feature in the World Cup if fit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quite a good effort from Pakistan today, even though it's unclear how they'll bat themselves. Not happy to see Wahab Riaz back as he was clearly part of that gang of crooks that poisoned Pakistan cricket, although he has always been a wicket taker. Junaid is still a really good bowler.

So I guess Chandimal is the only one to come in when Mahela retires? Indeed he and Thirimanne will be happy, more or less guaranteed spots without having had to really do anything.

I haven't seen much of the young stumper, luxuriously named Dickwella- seems to have a fair to middling record.

rjd2

As Irfan and Gul are pretty much dead or at best with their creaky bodies destined to be limited over bowlers, they really need Wahab to get his act together. Yep he is pretty dodgy, but the depth in the Pakistan fast bowler ranks is pretty poor. Their spin department is not to exciting either especially with Ajmal in danger of been suspended.

On Lanka, they are lucky Angelo has gone into beast mode and is quite young because Chandimal and Thirimanne haven't done that much to inspire when you think about Lankas long term future once Kumar and Mahela retire.

The Duck Man

Mahela averaged 50.02 from 250 innings (15 NO, 11756 runs) before this Test. He was out for 4 in the first innings, so by my count he needs 90 in the second innings to have a Test average about 50. That's assuming he gets out - if he's NO then it'd be 40.

First-class he's 49.80 from 381 innings (24 NO, 17780 runs) before this Test, so I think he needs 166 if out or 116*.

Sri Lanka have 19-year-old seamer Binura Fernando in their squad for experience. He's yet to play a professional game - yet what's remarkable for Sri Lanka is the fact he's 6'6![nb]Or 6'7, depending on whether you believe CricInfo's profile or this article.[/nb]

Nobody Soup

Quote from: rjd2 on August 14, 2014, 02:39:25 PM

On Lanka, they are lucky Angelo has gone into beast mode and is quite young because Chandimal and Thirimanne haven't done that much to inspire when you think about Lankas long term future once Kumar and Mahela retire.
I remember when they played bangladesh a year or so ago and the only reason they won was sangakkara hit fucking loads of runs and herath ran through them. the rest of the young guys were awful and massively outclassed by bangladesh's youngsters.

that said, nothing wrong with having guys that wait until they're really needed to step up to the plate, sri lanka seem to have a knack of never quite becoming great but always managing to be quite good.

Thursday

Maybe he'll look so strange it'll cause the Indian batsmen to make stupid(er) mistakes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What a massive disservice to SL above. Sri Lanka have consistently outperformed larger nations for two decades and continue to punch above their weight.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

rjd2

Not to sure about Taylor, yep he has been very good domestically but would he add that much to the England middle order in any format?

Hales has to play the India ODI series though.

The Duck Man

What's Paul Allott doing on the Sky Test coverage? He can fuck off with his pitiful 13 Tests.

Argh! Bob Willis too! What is this, reserve week?

EOLAN

Well if you think Allott shouldn't be there due to his own Test career, then that surely means Willis is worthy of his place in the analysis. And surely the same logic in regard to Allott can be made about Lloydy I guess.

rjd2

Crikey, no more five test series for India please.

Especially when South Africa struggle to get three never mind 4 or 5 test series.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Binny gone. Anderson largely unplayable with a conventional technique and poor footwork.

England should forfeit their innings and Brearley the fuckers twice by lunch tomorrow.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: rjd2 on August 15, 2014, 10:17:42 AM
Not to sure about Taylor, yep he has been very good domestically but would he add that much to the England middle order in any format?

Hales has to play the India ODI series though.

Can we afford to leave out a guy who averages 50 in list A who we havent really tried?

rjd2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 15, 2014, 02:58:48 PM
Can we afford to leave out a guy who averages 50 in list A who we havent really tried?

I wouldn't be opposed to at least giving a go in the India series, he has been really good in all limited overs cricket for Notts and the Lions for a bit now.

You'd probably have to leave out Root to fit him in though. Ravi and Morgan are safe and Ballance does have some pretty nifty list a numbers as well.

Who do we go for?

Cook (will play, pointless in speculating about leaving him out)
Hales
Bell
Morgan
Bopara
Taylor
Buttler?

I know some are not keen on Bell but like Cook, I'd be astounded if he did not play against India.

Any other alternatives?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

On current form-

Cook (shouldnt be there but anyway)
Hales
Ballance
Taylor
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler

Annoying that all day people have been saying this match is the beginning of the end for test cricket. Fuck off.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This is irrationally annoying me now. Bell dropped Sharma and it's cost us 20 runs. GRR. 63-7 they were! NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

The rest of the Indian team will have to ask themselves how Dhoni who has easily the worst technique to bat in English conditions has outperformed them.

Thursday

Thank fuck for that, I'd begun preparing for them to get 200+ there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pakistan showed some bottle, I thought at 140-5 they'd had it.

9-127 for Herath. Murali-like dominance.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cor that was some proper fast bowling from Aaron there!

rjd2

Aaron is great, really want to see him and Yadev bowl together, could be fantastic.

Junaid in hospital, so Pakistan seriously up against it, although I suppose Angelo has to fail sometime and what comes after that is so-so.

Herath is super, best spinner in the world bar none in test cricket.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My my, India's catching has been barely worth a county side. Looks like it has, belatedly turned into our rehabilitation summer.

The disconnect between how good some Indian fans think they are and how good they actually are makes supposed English 'arrogance' pale in comparison.