Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The New Cricket Thread That Is Not The Old Cricket Thread

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 11, 2014, 11:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's it. I'm not watching any more of this. My stint - 87-0 to 127-5. Grim as fuck.

rjd2

5 tests in India shortly for this lot, could be absolute carnage, Ahswin, Jadeja and Mishra bowling at this mob.

iamcoop

Yep, unless we get our shit together India is gonna be a fucking bloodbath.

rjd2

Props to West Indies, lol bad in the formats they supposedly give a shit about, but more competitive than more illustrious opponents in red ball cricket in these conditions. Immense performance from Kraigg also. Their isn't much genuine quality in the side sadly, but at least their seems to be a base to work with, some talented young lads who seem to want to dig in. It does mean Marlon has to go sadly though.

Pakistan need a less shit spinner than Zulfi and need to decide if a so-so all rounder in Nawaz is better than a proper batsman like Babar Azam when they travel abroad.

Looks like a tough tour for South Africa, Australia are in gun mode again now they are home.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Belated congrats to Windies - they even had a chance of a dramatic win in the first test. About time Braithwaite did something. He's dead weight when out of form.

Anyway, great schadenfreude the last 24 hours in Australia. Their fans were on meme overload humiliating South Africa for their below par first innings score only for a collapse to leave them level par. And now they're well under the cosh.

Pity about Steyn though - that man must be getting close to the scrapheap what he's put his body through.

Harry Badger

Yeah, with an injury like that, you do fear that might be it for Steyn, at least in Test matches. He came down here and played for Glamorgan in the T20 this summer. He was the main reason we got to the quarters (where we got utterly fucked by Yorkshire). A great bunch of lads too, according to the die-hards.

The BT coverage is bizarre. Not sure what to make of Greg James' presenting and KP is a charmless summarizer.

South Africa have done remarkably well given they are a bowler down. That Bavuma run-out was superb, old Jonty would've been proud. There's something building with SA, the spirit seems great, and they seem to have a more determined mental toughtness going into this series.

iamcoop

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on November 06, 2016, 05:22:22 PM
The BT coverage is bizarre. Not sure what to make of Greg James' presenting and KP is a charmless summarizer.

Interesting you mentioned this, I get free BT Sport access due to my phone contract and it really is an insane ragbag of coverage. Greg James is awful, he can't seem to hold a link together without massive awkward pauses. I'm also not exactly sure what Graeme Swann is doing there, especially covering a tour where an abundance of spin is unlikely to happen. James' clearly thinks this as well, given that he spends 90% of the time asking Vaughan and Ponting all the vaguely worded and uninteresting questions before throwing to Swann for the last ten seconds.

Kevin Pieterson is appalling. Zero charisma, zero insight, zero analysis. Seems to spend most of his time delivering badly worded personal anecdotes about the South African team, "haha, "look at x doing x on the team balcony, can't wait to take the piss out of him about that over golf on Monday."

Channel 9 are WORSE, I leave you with Michael Clarke's superbly analytical opinion of Shaun Marsh's wicket;

That is a massive wicket for South Africa. The batsman in, Shaun Marsh, gone. Huge wicket, great bowling, revere [sic] swing. Swung back in beautifully for Philander. That's a massive wicket. South Africa are fighting, there is no doubt about it. Back in this game.

I'm off work for a few days and thankfully have the time to stay up and see the climax of this test match. Can't wait for more piercing criticism and summarisation!

The Duck Man

Is Pietersen doing stuff for BT beyond being part of the Channel Nine team?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just a quick morning Lol at Australia...

Would be fucking glorious should they lose this series.

Still love monstering shit sides or piling in runs on flat decks but I still reckon their batting is held together with gaffer tape and a few decent seam bowlers later it's all out for a sub-100 total again, another flash collapse.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on November 06, 2016, 05:22:22 PM

Swanny, Vaugnhy and Punter is a panel of death in a rain break.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I quite like old adversaries on a panel.

I remember Atherton and Donald still carrying a genuine edge. Roy Keane and anyone ever.

KP himself is death. Now we get none of the benefits and all of the downsides to him being alive.

Also, South Africa's bowlers are about ready to tear up the world with or without Steyn. Aussies put out a shit side, cracks are showing left right and centre.

Mr Eggs

Test Match Special Mumbai update:

Michael Vaughan's "Heh-heh heh" pretend laugh is getting worse.
Blowers is scared by a man who is paid to wander around his hotel with a flag.

I think at the end of the tour England will bemoan their selection decisions. It really has been a mish mash of unclear strategy and the downright bizarre. The fact that Duckett and Ballance are still on tour is ridiculous. Why didn't the selectors give them time in Dubai to rediscover their form away from the limelight with the Lions? Four seamers on this deck?

Likely they were never going to beat India, however they could have put up a better fight. What's missing from this England side is the grit, and the mental toughness. Not throwing it away in cricketing terms. I really think that Kohli should've been treated like Tendulkar used to be back in the day when in India. Ashley Giles and Hoggard bowling negative lines that prevented free scoring. Bore him out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Worked in England. We just bowled well outside off then bowled the odd good length ball in the corridor, he'd nick it.

At least it shows Bayliss hasn't got a firm grip on things and despite being happy to take praise, has managed to duck criticism.