Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ATP News: Jabberwocky 2014 CANCELLED FOR FUCKS SAKE

Started by alan nagsworth, August 12, 2014, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

WITH LESS THAN THREE DAYS NOTICE YOU COCK SUCKERS

I had been wondering why this wasn't selling out and it was pretty worrying to be honest. A lot of people were saying the sound at the Excel was shit but for the price of the ticket and the size of that line-up, just fucking get over it, surely? Either way they've bollocksed it up because apparently they've known this for a while now and have done absolutely nothing to fix it. Why not cancel the after-parties first and inform the fans that they're doing it to make up for poor ticket sales? Pride is one thing, but show some responsibility man. Asking for crowd-funding is another thing that is seemingly beneath them despite the fact that they are already dwindling greatly and are nowhere near as dominant in the gig scene as they used to be. As a last ditch attempt to salvage it, at least maybe try and trim it to one day and announce some band cancellations? It's beyond a joke, I'm absolutely gutted. One of the best line-ups I've seen since... well, since I went to the "ATP vs. The Fans" weekender in 2007.

They announced in the press release that if they went ahead with it despite poor sales, it would have been "100% the end of ATP"... that's a grim sign, and it doesn't bode well for what used to be one of the foremost leading concert organisers for alternative music in the UK alone.

So who WON'T we be seeing this weekend then? Me, I WON'T be seeing Neutral Milk Hotel with tears in my eyes, or any of the amazing noise bands like METZ or Iceage or Pissed Jeans, or The Bug, or Earth, or Cloud Nothings, or Thee Oh Sees, or Liars. I was going to see almost all of them and now I won't be seeing any of them and fucking neither will you mate.

There is a Facebook event page for all announcements of last minute shows of bands scheduled to play though, so keep your eyes peeled here if you're keen. I'm not having my weekend completely wasted, I tell you:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1457615354501369/

FUCKING ... I KEEP THINKING ABOUT IT AND IT FUCKS ME OFF EVERY TIME

FUCK

Janie Jones

yep, the entire Jones family had tickets for this - apart from my daughter who was going to AltFest which was also cancelled! I think there's just too many festivals.  I thought the line up was wonderful but I note that my friend's frustrated rant about the cancellation on FB attracted much sneering from his student offspring and their friends so maybe it just didn't appeal enough to Ver Kids.
Hope you get to salvage something of your weekend Mr N.

Puce Moment

This is going to be fatal for ATP. I know so many people who are fucking livid, travelling from miles away, and from other parts of Europe, and who have been ATP faithful for years and years.

I have to say Barry and ATP are coming across as massive cunts here - they knew weeks ago that this would be cancelled. Even if they had announced it a week ago people would have had a chance to cancel hotels. Awful.

They're getting an absolute kicking on Facebook. Quite rightly. The people coming to ATP's defence sound like utter cocks.

alan nagsworth

Pissed Jeans and Earth are the first to confirm an official show this Saturday. Apparently we're getting a Neutral Milk Hotel announcement tomorrow at 10am :O

Vertical Slum

Mistakes: Wrong venue/the week before Reading/2 weeks before Baba Yaga's Raw Power. I think the whole thing's gone to Barry Hogan's head, have a read of the programme notes from the final ATP holiday camp do, very telling. I guess they made a massive loss on the last Iceland event & rather than pulling Excel a month in advance (apparently some artists & the promotion company had known/sussed by then) pride got the better of him. They've got previous form on this & I'd thought after dissolving & reforming a year ago he'd have stuck with smaller scale residencies like last year's Netil House/360 takeover instead of taking on a 2 day bash in the middle of "I've got SL2 & some lad who danced on Active8 on in me back garden" season. One of the points of ATP is they did their big bashes in April & December, except they can't anymore 'cos Barry pissed off Pontins & Butlins....

Vitalstatistix

This happened with one of those I'll be your mirror all dayers at Ally Pally, too. Took me about a year of chasing up to get my money back, so don't hold your breath on that.

Gutted about this. Don't want to jump on the hate wagon but can't help but feel pissed with ATP directly here. Cracking line up and a bunch of acts I may not get the chance to see again for a long time.

non capisco

The Shacklewell Arms have said they're putting on a free show on Saturday with a bunch of bands who were on the bill, no indication of who yet.

Duckula

Trying to find out how to get a refund for this has been a nightmare tonight (not to mention having to eat the cost of the flights).

ATP said to contact Dash Tickets.

Dash Tickets then said to contact ATP to get the money back as they don't have it.

On top of that I paid through Paypal who won't consider anything over 45 days worth looking into.

Great.

non capisco

Yeah, on top of everything getting a refund for this looks like it's going to be a long drawn out ballache. I bought three tickets through Dash ages ago who deny all responsibility as seemingly do ATP. HURRRAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Puce Moment

Looks like there will be a The Bug/Earth/Jesu gig announced very soon.

Barry and the rest of ATP seem to be surprised that people did not want to stumble out of a Corporate Shithole in the heartland of wasteland Cuntsville at 2am, desperately trying to flag down taxis with 2,000 other people. However, they knew this information many weeks ago, but were selling tickets up to the announcement.

I don't know why people are standing up for ATP as some kind of fucking ethical, co-operative promoter of cutting-edge music.

non capisco

If anyone has any painless joy with the refund process let me know how you did it. This appears to be an utter fucking 'nah, sorry, speak to him, mate' shambles so far.

Still holding out for an impromptu Thee Oh Sees show somewhere over the weekend. I can't imagine John Dwyer is going to be happy kicking his heels in a hotel room.

Vertical Slum

Quote from: non capisco on August 13, 2014, 12:19:41 AM
If anyone has any painless joy with the refund process let me know how you did it. This appears to be an utter fucking 'nah, sorry, speak to him, mate' shambles so far.

Still holding out for an impromptu Thee Oh Sees show somewhere over the weekend. I can't imagine John Dwyer is going to be happy kicking his heels in a hotel room.

The ATP date ain't on their page no more & they're in Europe either side of it. If it's somewhere inaccessible after the cricket I'm hunting Dywer down........

johnfuego

Considered going to this, chose United and the Test instead. Phew.

--------

Dash Tickets UK
2 hrs ·
SUBJECT TO LEGAL PROCEEDINGS
We are terribly disappointed to hear the news today that ATP has cancelled the Jabberwocky event scheduled for this weekend. Our entire team has poured immense effort into helping ATP with their ticketing programme over the past several months, investing considerable time, money and energy, all in good faith.
Our trust in ATP seems to have been misplaced, as their emails to fans and customers today concerning refunds have become deliberately misleading. It is for this reason that we feel compelled to make it clear that Dash has given to ATP all funds that Dash received for ticket sales to Jabberwocky. In addition to giving ATP all the ticketing funds, Dash has made substantial advances to ATP which remain unpaid, as do considerable fees for the work we have undertaken on their behalf.
It is important that everyone knows that Dash Tickets is in no way responsible for ATPs financial problems, nor with their conduct post cancellation. We are very keen to learn where the money has gone!
We thought more of ATP and its Directors. We hope that they will do the right thing and expedite refunds to all fans.
Dash will now take legal advice with the aim of commencing legal proceedings against ATP (Willwal Limited), to attempt to recover all funds.
As music lovers and event fans ourselves, we share in the frustration around this cancellation and we will do its utmost to help as many of you as possible.
Sincerely
Dash Tickets

olliebean

Doesn't matter, does it? If the tickets were bought from Dash, doesn't that make them legally responsible for refunds?

johnfuego

Talk is that ATP/Hogan might own Dash. Not sure how accurate that is but, yes, Dash would be liable.

The Roofdog

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 12, 2014, 06:57:58 PM
for the price of the ticket and the size of that line-up, just fucking get over it, surely?

Rumour is that they massively underpriced it to try and avoid poor sales but then ended up needing a virtual sell-out to turn a profit. I thought at the time that £35 was cheap for that line-up. Haven't been to a festival in a good few years and was really looking forward to this, Neutral Milk Hotel and Sun Kil Moon on the same bill. Gutted.

hedgehog90

Wow. What an utter shitshow.
Fuck, I'd be so angry if I were in your shoes. I'd be unapproachable for days.
I almost went to the Jeff Mangum ATP a few years ago, ticket prices were something around 200 quid if I remember correctly.
What were prices like for this one?

EDIT: £35!?

The Roofdog

The Roofdog

Neutral Milk Hotel now playing the Kentish Town Forum on Friday, Kurt Vile playing Village Underground on Saturday

http://jabberwockyfallout.com/

Gamma Ray

Quote from: Vertical Slum on August 13, 2014, 12:59:36 AMThe ATP date ain't on their page no more & they're in Europe either side of it. If it's somewhere inaccessible after the cricket I'm hunting Dywer down........

Perhaps Zeigenbock Kopf will make a return.

Tairy_Green

Gamma Ray

Which somewhat ironically for a free show has already sold out.

Tairy_Green

Apparently 800 people are going. Expect interesting scenes on Saturday afternoon in Dalston.

imitationleather

Haha. I went to see Ceephax and VHS Head there and there can't have been more than 150. Raaaaaammed, it was!

kngen

ATP's original company was liquidated in 2012, and then Hogan started a phoenix company (a cunt's move, as it means he can stiff all his old creditors, and only needs to pay them if he feels like honouring the old contracts.)

Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they pull that shit again, the ticket holders are classed as creditors and get pennies in the pound refund years after the fact. Hope it doesn't turn out that way for the ticket-holders' sake. More on this shadiness here

glitch

PAGE 2 SNYPE!!!!!

This thread is now about Boomtown because Nagsy can't block that on here like he has on Facebook.

Puce Moment

The goodwill being shown to ATP is quite alarming to me - particularly in context of things like that cunty little pointless shop near Shoreditch, and other unpleasant business decisions.

They can burn as far as I am concerned - it's just a shame that so many people are going to get ripped off again.

imitationleather

I did think £35 was suspiciously cheap. NMH playing at the Forum for £25 this weekend instead now. Hmm...

imitationleather

Doesn't the fact they can suddenly arrange a gig at the Forum at a weekend at such short notice seem a bit suspicious?