Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:56:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ATP News: Jabberwocky 2014 CANCELLED FOR FUCKS SAKE

Started by alan nagsworth, August 12, 2014, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quite clearly, putting on loads of gigs in London during a weekend and charging for them turned out to be more profitable. I do not buy "We are in London so let's play anyway!" at all.

Puce Moment

£25 a pop for NMH tickets, and a suspiciously well-organised Forum date. You have to admire their business acumen, those scruffy, silly, eccentric, laissez-faire eccentrics.

Duckula

I phoned my bank today and the money was back in my account in a matter of hours, best to get it done early. Can't see ATP taking any responsibility now.

Gamma Ray

Which bank are you with? Did you just tell them that there's no chance of a refund from the vendor?

Duckula

Halifax - I explained the whole situation and also that Paypal had told me to ask for a chargeback from my bank.

Gamma Ray

Why thank you my good man. I think it's the fact that it was essentially a card transaction so qualifies for chargeback that must be the key.

non capisco

Looks like Thee Oh Sees are playing at The Garage on Saturday with Iceage and playing the Ace Hotel on Sunday, according to their website.

Gamma Ray

Aye, tickets are available for purchase from the Garage website so I'd snap 'em up quick. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make it but I did see them in SF last year so that will just have to do.

I also speculatively emailed the band last night asking what their plans were and Dwyer actually responded, a true rock 'n' roll hero.

alan nagsworth

Did anyone get tickets for the other gigs at all? I managed to bag tickets for Thee Oh Sees at the Garage. Regardless of how shady all of this seems, I was fucking determined to not have my weekend ruined. Also Thee Oh Sees and Iceage are utter belters so in a skewed sort of way I guess I got kind of lucky.

Vertical Slum

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 14, 2014, 09:04:28 PM
Did anyone get tickets for the other gigs at all? I managed to bag tickets for Thee Oh Sees at the Garage. Regardless of how shady all of this seems, I was fucking determined to not have my weekend ruined. Also Thee Oh Sees and Iceage are utter belters so in a skewed sort of way I guess I got kind of lucky.

Off to The Garage as well. Wasn't going to Excel for various reasons (travel's a sod from my end, at the Cricket Friday, Family related stuff Saturday daytime) but it makes up for ATP not letting anyone do small venue warm-ups the week before 'cos of exclusivity contracts.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Vertical Slum on August 14, 2014, 10:05:53 PM
Off to The Garage as well. Wasn't going to Excel for various reasons (travel's a sod from my end, at the Cricket Friday, Family related stuff Saturday daytime) but it makes up for ATP not letting anyone do small venue warm-ups the week before 'cos of exclusivity contracts.

Is that absolutely definitely true?

Tairy_Green

ATP made The Van Pelt pull out of the free Shacklewell show due to exclusivity, even after the festival was cancelled. And they're promoting a few of the fall-out shows, although not including that Garage show.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Duckula on August 13, 2014, 07:16:00 PM
Halifax - I explained the whole situation and also that Paypal had told me to ask for a chargeback from my bank.

ATP are advising everyone to do this now. Looks like it's the only way anyone will get their money back.

boki

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 15, 2014, 12:58:09 AM
Is that absolutely definitely true?
Pretty much standard festival practice, I think - GHP Family don't let anyone doing Hit The Deck play in Nottingham for a couple of weeks beforehand, which is a bit of a sod for the local bands.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Duckula on August 13, 2014, 06:03:04 PM
I phoned my bank today and the money was back in my account in a matter of hours, best to get it done early. Can't see ATP taking any responsibility now.

I have to print off a bunch of emails showing ticket confirmations and that I attempted to get my money back but Dash are having none of it, etc. Pain in the arse.

Puce Moment

Quote from: boki on August 15, 2014, 11:57:22 AM
Pretty much standard festival practice, I think - GHP Family don't let anyone doing Hit The Deck play in Nottingham for a couple of weeks beforehand, which is a bit of a sod for the local bands.

That seems really cunty to me. I remember going to see bands in London and Reading around the time of the Reading Festival. In many ways it was part of the festival, and allowed people who couldn't a Reading ticket to see bands who had come over from the USA.

In the case of Jabberwocky, I think people genuinely want to see all these bands in one place over two days, and would prefer that to individual gigs. But not at the Excel. What were ATP thinking?

imitationleather

Yeah I tried to book Altern8 for a free midweek show I was doing and they were up for it but the promoters who'd booked them for a paid event the following weekend said they couldn't do it. I guess it was fair enough, really, since we weren't paying them and they were. I'd be pissed off too in that situation.

chand

Quote from: boki on August 15, 2014, 11:57:22 AM

Doesn't it happen for regular gigs too? I was friends with some guys in a local band and they said for a couple of the gigs they played, part of the contract was that they wouldn't play elsewhere in town for a certain amount of time either side.

imitationleather

There's been times when promoter mates have paid to fly over DJs from abroad and said DJs have arranged loads of other gigs, often at bigger nights, while they're here. Obviously these other nights do not chip in to help with the flight costs or anything. I would be absolutely livid if that happened to me so I can understand these clauses.

Tairy_Green

Quote from: imitationleather on August 15, 2014, 04:54:41 PM
There's been times when promoter mates have paid to fly over DJs from abroad and said DJs have arranged loads of other gigs, often at bigger nights, while they're here. Obviously these other nights do not chip in to help with the flight costs or anything. I would be absolutely livid if that happened to me so I can understand these clauses.
Definitely - if the event is actually happening.

I've known local bands support touring headliners and bring nobody, then play in a pub to all their mates the following night which isn't really on.

But it appears that all the bands booked for Jabberwocky are now not getting paid, so, like Iceage seem to be doing, should be able to take as many gigs as humanly possible in order to recoup their costs.

Red Lantern

I was at the Shacklewell gig all day on Saturday, then Thee Oh Sees at Ace Hotel on Sunday. Metz at the Shack was an amazing gig. Found out on Sunday that PayPal had refunded my Jabberwocky ticket money, so managed to salvage a great weekend out of the situation, despite my outrage at the original cancellation.

alan nagsworth

Hey, what sort of set did Thee Oh Sees do on Sunday? They didn't play much of "Drop" at all on Saturday and I was wondering if they were maybe saving it.

Gutted I didn't get to see Metz or NMH. Defintely the two other most anticipated sets for me.