Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:11:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Laptops/GFX Cards

Started by SetToStun, August 14, 2014, 03:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SetToStun

Right, I work in IT but not on the hardware side, so I'm pleading for assistance here. I have a laptop which is getting old (about five years or so), and I'm going to reolace it at some point. My current one is a 17" Toshiba with Harman Kardon speakers, so it's very handy for watching iPlayer and similar in the kitchen but it seems that the poor old thing is struggling as the picture is pretty jerky. It's not the connection speed (I'm on Infinity) and the sound carries on just fine, it's just a jerky picture in full-screen mode. I'm guessing it's either a lack of memory or the on-board graphics card can't cope.

If I buy a new laptop, will the average on-board graphics be enough to handle 1080p HD without stuttering or will I need to specify a proper GFX card as an add-on?

Ta!

Steven

I'd guess that the WiFi signal is poorer in the kitchen or the WiFi card inside just can't handle the video speed. Have you tried trying to play the video with the laptop very near to the router to see if it makes any difference? If not then yeah probably GFX card or something, but a fresh OS install and latest drivers might help.

Zetetic

Is it specifically with Flash that it's struggling?

(What's the CPU and memory usage like when you're trying to play these videos?)

lazarou

Quote from: SetToStun on August 14, 2014, 03:08:53 PM
If I buy a new laptop, will the average on-board graphics be enough to handle 1080p HD without stuttering or will I need to specify a proper GFX card as an add-on?

Ta!
It should definitely manage without any trouble. Even the most crappy integrated graphics chips are designed to facilitate that these days. The better modern intel ones will even run a fair few games playably at lower settings, it's not the nightmare it used to be.

SetToStun

I should have mentioned that I get the same problem with downloaded iPlayer content and DVDs, so the WiFi is not the problem and it's not restricted to Flash. Sorry about that - I of all people should know you have to give all relevant information when raising a case :-)

Quote from: lazarou on August 14, 2014, 06:44:34 PM
It should definitely manage without any trouble. Even the most crappy integrated graphics chips are designed to facilitate that these days. The better modern intel ones will even run a fair few games playably at lower settings, it's not the nightmare it used to be.

Excellent - thanks for that; I feel suitably reassured.