Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris on Biteback 1994

Started by Ronnie the Raincoat, August 18, 2014, 07:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie the Raincoat

Chris Morris responds to a viewer's letter regarding The Day Today on BBC viewer feedback show Biteback in 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU_FXnSjBLY

It's lovely.

Thomas

Cleaners From Venus

Aah, that's brilliant. Thanks a lot, Ronnie.

Neil

Encoded by Gary Rodger, aka Mooncat.  Yaaay, been waiting for this, cheers!

Morrison Lard

"..the culling shift"

Smashing. Thanks Ronnie.

Glebe

Excellent stuff, cheers. 'I feel sorry for the sad person who thought this up.'

DJ Solid Snail

Bwahahaha, that is amazing. Thanks.

That was great, thanks.

Amazing, and slightly depressing, to think there was once a time when viewers idiotic complaints would be treated with the ridicule they obviously deserved. Can't imagine the BBC airing that in this age of Daily Mail fuelled social media outrage.   

weekender

Hah, brilliant, thanks for sharing.

Ambient Sheep

Ah that was lovely, thank you Ronnie & Mooncat.

I'm slightly surprised the BBC had the balls to broadcast that even back then!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Spotted this the other day. Smashing.

"The culling shift", delivered in rather fanboy-like imitation by whoever that was. Very funny.

mooncat

The voiceover is by former Mr Frostrup, Richard Jobson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jobson_(television_presenter)

Surely the only time the culling clip was used pre-watershed - Biteback was broadcast on Sunday afternoons.

Glebe

Quote from: mooncat on August 20, 2014, 08:07:39 PMThe voiceover is by former Mr Frostrup, Richard Jobson

I could picture his face, but couldn't remember his name. Didn't know he was in The Skids, nor that he was married to Mariella Frostrup (hitched in 1979, my goodness!!).

Guy

Points Of View (I think) also aired a letter, from someone complaining about the This Is Our War segment being in poor taste. That was met by a more sober written response (possibly from Iannucci) about satirising the horrors of war.

Was there a similar POV complaint made near the start of the series, about tuning in to the Mininews and believing it was a real news bulletin? Getting into really sketchy memory now.

Spiral King

"Well, they're laughing in the studio, let's hope you're laughing at home."

I dunno why I found this so funny. Probably the fact that the presenter was barely concealing her contempt and disapproval of Morris. Very, very good stuff. A shame he didn't deliver the statement on camera though. Would have been good.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Guy on November 21, 2014, 04:11:00 PM
Points Of View (I think) also aired a letter, from someone complaining about the This Is Our War segment being in poor taste. That was met by a more sober written response (possibly from Iannucci) about satirising the horrors of war.

They (pretty sure that was on Points of view at least that's how I remember it) - showed the Rock n' roll years type clip of Iraq war footage set to Burn Baby Burn, (just watched the segment on youtube - don't remember seeing any of the rest of the clip but that tiny bit just triggered a massive 'fuck, yes, this is what I saw'.)

remember sitting there watching it with my gran, that suddenly coming on and having a 'woah, this got broadcast?' reaction /instantly followed by 'I *need* to/really, really wish I could watch this programme'   

there's no other place I would've/could've seen that clip  - didn't get to see The Day Today until the 1995 repeats and only got to see part/bits of it then.

- have a long term possibly false memory of somebody complaining again after the repeat & just that tiny clip being re-shown and having a total sence of frustration that this was something I'd really, really, wanted to get to see & I'd missed that episode twice.

jenna appleseed

Oh and the Biteback clip is awesome (think I might've seen this at the time). The way the letter's read out in a slightly dull, possibly mocking way. The "you should've seen the look on their faces, I laughed and laughed" sketch caption accidentally(?) looking like a parody statement on how 'they'/Morris are laughing at the complainers plus the way the statement is read out combined with the 'I can't believe they just broadcast this & on a Sunday afternoon ness'/hilariousness of both the clip and statement itself,. Oh and the photo of Chris Morris turning into the eyes/biteback logo making it look like one of his OTT day today/brass eye logos & the presenter (who was she? can't remember) pos laughing pos sneering/trying to appear above it (didn't she do all the links like that? - god, I used to love Biteback).

soraya

What a hypocritical snob. Didn't Morris write a "heartfelt letter" to Deborah Curtis after she saw the Rok TV sketch and complained? If you're a regular pleb who takes offense then you deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule,  if you're the wife of a famous rockstar however...

Nice to see that the crusty faced ones expensive education wasn't wasted, he knows who really matters doesn't he.

MoonDust

Quote from: soraya on December 26, 2014, 08:24:36 PM
What a hypocritical snob. Didn't Morris write a "heartfelt letter" to Deborah Curtis after she saw the Rok TV sketch and complained? If you're a regular pleb who takes offense then you deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule,  if you're the wife of a famous rockstar however...

Nice to see that the crusty faced ones expensive education wasn't wasted, he knows who really matters doesn't he.

Good point, you know, because of all the family members who's relatives were killed by scythes being upset yet Morris scorns them, the stupid fictional plebs.

soraya

Quote from: MoonDust on December 27, 2014, 03:32:51 PM
Good point, you know, because of all the family members who's relatives were killed by scythes being upset yet Morris scorns them, the stupid fictional plebs.

Checkmate.

I wasnt refering specifically to this case. The father of a 7/7 bombing victim spoke out against Four Lions and Morris responded with a terse, evasive statement via the distribution company then by ridiculing him on a DVD extra. He's a cunt.

Guy

Graffic (soraya) frequently tries to grab the attention of threads, by perceiving outrageous inconsistencies which sufficiently scream "thick cunt" enough to make you reply. Y'know, like TPPHM and so, so many before him. He is a dull shit-stirring plank and is worthless on forums, ignore him entirely.

Back on-topic:

Quote from: jenna appleseed on December 26, 2014, 04:41:11 PMThey (pretty sure that was on Points of view at least that's how I remember it) - showed the Rock n' roll years type clip of Iraq war footage set to Burn Baby Burn

Glad you remember it, yes, that was the very PoV item. Do you remember the statement read out in reply, and who it was from?

DrunkCountry

Quote from: soraya on December 27, 2014, 03:46:45 PM
The father of a 7/7 bombing victim spoke out against Four Lions. He's a cunt.

Fixed.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Guy on December 27, 2014, 03:56:38 PM
Glad you remember it, yes, that was the very PoV item. Do you remember the statement read out in reply, and who it was from?

Don't even remember their being a statement, sorry.