Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:08:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Domain names

Started by small_world, August 21, 2014, 01:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small_world

How popular are the new top level domains (.music .photography .business .email) relative to the .coms?

I'm starting a band and we're looking to get in early to register a domain.
The main (best) .com .co.uk ones are gone.
.music is still available.

Does it simply come down to how good your marketing is in terms of getting your site recognised, or do these well known domains help?
Would we be better off going for www.genericrockband.com / www.genericrockmusic.com or www.genericrock.music?

small_world

Also, should I stop searching for the name followed by domains?
Is someone watching google and knocking up the domain prices?

glitch

Quote from: small_world on August 21, 2014, 01:04:12 PM
Does it simply come down to how good your marketing is in terms of getting your site recognised, or do these well known domains help?
Would we be better off going for www.genericrockband.com / www.genericrockmusic.com or www.genericrock.music?

It literally doesn't matter, as long as your fans are smart enough to type the URL in correctly.

You might want to avoid naming yourself close to anything that's already got a strong presence on Google though.

Quote from: small_world on August 21, 2014, 01:06:07 PM
Also, should I stop searching for the name followed by domains?
Is someone watching google and knocking up the domain prices?

They won't watch Google but some people do watch search listings on domain seller sites, so they can squat anything that suddenly spikes.