Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:43:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which radio DJ do you hate the most?

Started by Hornet, August 30, 2004, 08:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hornet

Sorry if this is a negative, but I believe it is a valid question, albeit maybe a difficult one to answer in view of the high number of twats that inhabit the airwaves.

To get things rolling: Scot Mills of Radio 1.  Tries so hard, bless him.  The "utility" player in any squad,covering any number of positons, but badly.  Shocking taste in music and in support of that claim, he was the first to play Natasha "Fuckface" Bedingfields "These Words".  He then asked listeners to text in their responses, but refused to read out or acknowledge the (mostly) negative ones!  Told listeners not to bother ringing or texting if they didn't like it.  Cunt.

Dr David V

I don't even need to say his name, all I need to say is "fat cunt" and you all know which DJ I'm talking about. It's so true though.

mikeyg27

Quote from: "Dr David V"I don't even need to say his name, all I need to say is "fat cunt" and you all know which DJ I'm talking about. It's so true though.

Proved that a shit DJ can't make a good TV show. But then Christian O'Connell proved that a good DJ can't neccessarily do that either.

Jo Whiley, Edith Bowman and her chum, Zane Low after he moved to Radio 1. Basically every Radio 1 DJ apart from Peely and Mark and Lard (although they've gone now).

Schlippy

Sara Cox in the morning finally got me to start waking up to CDs (I spose I should thank her for that).

Apart from dear old uncle John, I've never looked back.

Pilf

Yeah, Scott Mills is bad, but have you heard JK and Joel? They sound like the worst local ILR DJs. On Sunday they were asking people to text in to rate the girls from Girls Aloud to put them in order, for fucks sake.

How they hell have they got on?

And it was the '10 Hour takeover' yesterday, and it was ruined by Mills and the above pairs encouragement of wackiness and 'lets play Chesney Hawkes'.

Fuckwittio

Word up, I wanna send a shout out to my nigga Tim Westwood:
SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU CUNTMOUTH SON OF A VICAR.

Word.

chand

Still, credit to Westwood for keeping it up despite being roundly mocked from all sides. And at least he loves the music he plays, which is more than you can say for most other DJs.

Radio 1 comes in for a lot of stick. During the day it's shite, obviously, but it pays to flick over to commercial radio every now and then to remind yourself how much worse it could be.

Doctor Stamen

Zane Fucking Lowe, with Colin and Cunting Edith a very close second (and third).

kidsick5000

I havent lived there for 3+ years but still  have a bad taste of having to dive towards the radio in the office to switch it off before the previously mentioned fatcunt got his voice over.
And of course, there was the Zoe Ball breakfast show.  Which, if you think about it, did serve the purpose of getting you out of bed. The only drawback was that you were in a shitstorm of a mood.

Around that time, Johnny Vaughn and the Big Breakfast was a godsend.

Anyway. I live on an island where they  use the armerican style even more. There is no reprieve. You either get pop shit( idiot boys and excitable unable to string a cohrent thought out of their mouths) or solid gold (think old old version of  Radio 2, all  unctious voices and sincere dedications)
There is nothing else. No alternative.

Be thankful people. be very thankful. you people.

TJ

Bethan and 'Huw', and historically Chris Evans and Lisa I'Anson.

benthalo

Sarah Kennedy, Jo Whiley and Colin Murray. Their continued success baffles me.

kidsick5000

A quick return just to say Jo Whiley.
A woman who sort of likes alternativish stuff.

Wow. A woman who does not admire Celine Dion and likes music with guitars. She shall be the Queen of Indie. Lets give her every woman music job going.

Its like she was created by Jennifer Saunders

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Anyone characterless and opinion-free who doesn't pick their own music. Why on earth would you want to listen to such a person?

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "TJ"Bethan and 'Huw'

Heh, they were compering the Radio One stage at Reading this weekend, the twats.  Why the inverted commas though, is 'Huw' a made-up name to make him sound like the king of the Cool Cymru bandwagon?

Dr David V

Oh God, I'd forgot about Zane Lowe. An annoying sounding prick, who was perfectly parodied by Joe Cornish in NEWsic. Oh well, there is some justice in the world, Gonzo's recently been cancelled.

PS, where does Zane Lowe come from? He sounds a little bit English, a little American and a little Australian, so wherever he comes from, he'll still be a total twat.

RFT

He's a new zealander.

Heading back from reading on saturday night, I was listening to xfm. it was some sort of rap show, and they had a group of new zealand rappers on. the conversation got on to how zane lowe used to play the same clubs they'd played, before he was a DJ and was in some sort of band. Don;t really remeber too much about it, beyond very broad things, as I was exhausted, and concetraing on driving up the A20.

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "Dr David V"Oh God, I'd forgot about Zane Lowe. An annoying sounding prick, who was perfectly parodied by Joe Cornish in NEWsic. Oh well, there is some justice in the world, Gonzo's recently been cancelled.

Really?!!  Ah, sweet relief!

QuotePS, where does Zane Lowe come from? He sounds a little bit English, a little American and a little Australian, so wherever he comes from, he'll still be a total twat.

I think he's a Kiwi, which isn't surprising as they're a fairly clued-up country and probably kick out any twats at a very early age.  He irritates me mainly because he seems to love the sound of his own voice more than the music he's playing.  Also, he's never even slightly critical about anything (as is the case with that shoe-less witch Whiley and Colin & Edith) though i did hear him have a mild dig at Keane once, which is a bit kicking a cripple when they're face down in the gutter.

phalmachine

Stuart Maconie used to annoy me a bit on Radio2 and 6 not sure why, maybe it was his appearances on the I Love the.... shows.  But compared to all the DJs on Radio 1 (apart from Peel)  he's very tolerable. Having people like JK and Joel and Vernon Kaye on R1 just seems like an insult to the general public.  Mark and Lard's act was really tired by the end, but at least they were sufferable people and knew their music.

The people on Radio 6 are quite good. That station seems aimed at people my age (22), far too old for R1 but not old enough for 2 or 4.

Jemble Fred

I haven't bothered with Radio 1 since I stopped being a child, so I don't have any evidence on the radio DJs who would no doubt make me want to kill. Have your balls dropped? Then don't listen to a child's radio station. Except for John Peel.

Having said that, Wogan plays the same tracks every morning and always talks just that little bit too long, usually finishing his intro just as the first verse of each song finishes. But he's getting on, so you can't hit him.

RFT

one interesting thing though, listeing to the "10-hour takeover" in the car yesterday, was just how much good music came up, even in the 2 hours I had it on. It was actually quite a good mix of music, which must mean that R1's actual listenership actually likes a much wider range than they ever actually play normally. There was some shite as well, but it actually seemed to reflect a listenership with a farily rounded taste.

(yes, I know this point was made in private eye just after the last one, but it's worth repeating).

Personally, none of the R1 lot wind me up that much, but that's because the wife likes to listen to a god-awful commercial station (Mercia FM) and compared to that Colin and Edith are a blessed relief.

If I could only Get XFM out here in the sticks- yes the DJs are still annoying, but At least I can stomach most of the playlist...

BetaKarraTene

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"Also, he's never even slightly critical about anything (as is the case with that shoe-less witch Whiley and Colin & Edith) though i did hear him have a mild dig at Keane once, which is a bit kicking a cripple when they're face down in the gutter.
Hey, be nice!

I remember Zane Lowe having constant goes at The Darkness before they became all famous saying they just made novelty music.  Then they became really famous and he completely changed tack and said although he didn't get thm they were doing really well.

Then he had them on Gonzo and it was the biggest display of arse-licking this side of Gaby Roslin.  My mate saw Zane Lowe at the bar on two seperate ocassions at different gigs.  Too bad, I don't drink or else I would have told him exactly what I think of him...

Don't listen to the radio much these days so I can't really say.  When I go to the hairdressers they usually have Capital on, and the twin assault of Chris Tarrant (who's gone now) and 'Doctor' 'Fox' is mortifying. It's not so much the smugness or even the horrible music, it's more the utter inanity of everything they say. You often find the intellect of the listeners phoningin mirrors that of the presenters so you can imagine it's very disconcerting to listen to even more people who are as crushingly dull as those two.

Ben Ordinary

Quote from: "Dr David V"Oh God, I'd forgot about Zane Lowe. An annoying sounding prick, who was perfectly parodied by Joe Cornish in NEWsic. Oh well, there is some justice in the world, Gonzo's recently been cancelled.

PS, where does Zane Lowe come from? He sounds a little bit English, a little American and a little Australian, so wherever he comes from, he'll still be a total twat.

I did a quite poor Zane Lowe R1 parody on last year's Radio Keighley show. Renaming him "Inane Low" isnt big or clever but it made me laugh at the time. It was more to do with his habit of constantly shouting which he's toned down a little since. Sadly he's the only DJ who plays anything near to what I'd want to hear so he gets my full Radio 1 remit listenership. Which runs to 15 minutes walking to the pub on a tuesday night from 8 to 8:15. And even thats touch and go.

Incidentally, its Adam Buxton who does the impression, not Joe.

Spatchcock.

king_tubby

Andrew Fucking Collins

When I got digital radio last year I'd come in from work and stick Radio 6 on and Tony Wilson was doing the 'drive time' show and he was great, played tons of good stuff and sneered at the rubbish. Imagine my disappointment after two weeks when I found out he was just replacing Andrew Fucking Collins while he was on holiday. I pretty much gave up on Radio 6 after that. The man is a cretin, horrible voice, horrible 'Chris Evans who likes indie' presenting style, no charisma and a rubbish taste in tunes.

Seems to be a pattern of NME journalists of a certain era going on to be exceedingly crap in other media forms (see also Stuart Maconie (like his show but not his TV stuff, god no), Barbera Ellen, Danny Kelly, David Quantick etc)

Dirty Boy

Is Zane Lowe the tanned guy who's always on MTV2?.If so he doesn't really seem worthy of all this hatred toward him.I know he likes the sound of his own voice, but he seems to at least be fairly passionate and knowledgable about a lot of alternative music, then again, i've never heard his Radio 1 show or really been aware of him before recently...

Dr David V

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"Is Zane Lowe the tanned guy who's always on MTV2?.If so he doesn't really seem worthy of all this hatred toward him.I know he likes the sound of his own voice, but he seems to at least be fairly passionate and knowledgable about a lot of alternative music, then again, i've never heard his Radio 1 show or really been aware of him before recently...
I agree, he is very passionate and knowledgable about music, but it's to such a degree that it becomes incredibly irritating.

Oh and I knew it was Adam on NEWsic, I don't know why I said Joe. Roll VT.