Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What are you listening to at the moment? (Not a list thread)

Started by Puce Moment, August 22, 2014, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

The "Underrated or forgotten indie bands let's go" thread has already thrown up some new music for me to listen to, which is great. I find that Spotify and Soulseek together have created this huge landscape of music that I sometimes find overwhelming - often finding myself listening to an old Nick Cave or Smiths album when I really should be looking around for new sounds.

I remember in the past there was a 'what are you listening to?' thread that was a bit of a mega-thread and a bit of a list thread. So instead of listing stuff, maybe mention a song, or an album, or a new band (I mean new to you, not necessarily new). I find myself getting quite obsessive about music, and I will fixate on a band for a fortnight or so.

At the moment it is Electrelane and their album Axes.

Electrelane are a band I have been aware of, and I have some of their albums in my iTunes, and I have thrown them on as background music in the past. An all-female band from Brighton I believe, they are clearly very accomplished musicians, and transcend most genres. They also seemed to burn bright for a while and then disappeared, much to my chagrin. They have been hiding in plain sight on my computer for a few years. And then last week I played them on a whim as I was in a Stereolab/Broadcast kind of mood, and I started with Axes, an almost completely instrumental album. It started getting into my head, and I was distracted from my work. Then the track 'Eight Steps' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_k2DxlcHBE) came on and I was transfixed by its odd French sound. I played it again and I turned them up. And then the real kicker started - 'Gone Darker', a jazzy, krautrocky, Lynchian song that I played four times in a row. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgnOgJyh4MU)

I couldn't believe this great album has been hanging around unnoticed on my PC for so long. I looked it up and found out that the whole album was played in one go from start to finish. Amazing! I then listened more intently to some of their other stuff, and came across the track 'The Valleys' from the album The Power Out. Wonderful. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkTBrqU7Mas)

They are so much more interesting and innovative than the glut of white-boy indie rock clogging up the radio like fur in an artery, and are actually far more unusual and accomplished than most all-female bands.

So what is getting your blood pumping at the moment?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Currently this very second, the Twin peaks soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTp6d7Bw79A

I was reading about the new version of Fire Walk With Me. Plus, There's been a distinct autumnal feel in the air this past week or so and this sort of music matches it well. As the next few weeks roll on I'll start listening to less rock, funk etc. and more downbeat sounding stuff. Not depressing or spooky music, more sort of mysterious, for want of a better description.

newbridge

InI - Center of Attention

Mid-90s hip-hop album that I had never heard of before until recently. It's produced by Pete Rock, and his brother is in the group (InI) whose debut album this was supposed to be. But the record label shelved it and it was never properly released, so it's the only thing the group ever did.

It's really good. Honestly one of my favorite full-length hip-hop albums. Record companies are shit.

Neville Chamberlain

Currently listening a lot to this:

Random Jon Poole's debut solo album

A mix of XTC, PIL, Teardrop Explodes and, of course, Guns-era Cardiacs - pretty ruddy exquisite, I'd say!

Other than that, I've been on a bit of a late Talk Talk binge, complementing that with Bark Psychosis' Hex.

And here's a great track I discovered literally last night: White Blacula - The Big Release

hedgehog90

Yesterday I very much enjoyed listening to the Mishima Soundtrack by Philip Glass, Mambo Nassau by Lizzy Mercier Descloux and Teen Dream by Beach House. Right now I'm treating myself to some more Beach House (Bloom).
All very pleasant.

WesterlyWinds

The irate shouts of the man who lives nearby whose dog has the same name as me: 'redacted, redacted!'

Makes me look up every time.

Puce Moment

Quote from: hedgehog90 on August 22, 2014, 01:26:00 PM
Yesterday I very much enjoyed listening to the Mishima Soundtrack by Philip Glass,

It's a great OST but got used way too much for adverts and movie trailers. It is even used in the climax of The Truman Show!

sproggy

Tairy_Green

Going through a whiney US indie punk phase; The Thermals - Fuckin' A and The Front Bottoms - S/T. One of the most painful band names of all time, but they make a fun noise in a more poppy Andrew Jackson Jihad/Defiance, Ohio kinda way.

hedgehog90

Meat Puppets II.
It's strangely appropriate for this somewhat muggy, confused Sunday morning.
I love this record, fits me like a glove.

thraxx

Out Of Here - Corduroy.  It's always been a proper Sunday morning record for me. 

alan nagsworth

Loads of Real Estate. All three albums are bloody excellent, and even though summer is now most likely dead - DEAD - it is the perfect summer soundtrack, especially the first album which is just absolute bliss from start to finish. It reminds me of one particular summer about four years ago, when I was living in a village right next to a big nature reserve and would spend many a day strolling round the lakes and dipping my feet in, unwinding to the lazy guitar bliss. Such a perfect, vivid memory that I hold dear despite it being in the middle of a turbulent, mental relationship that nearly destroyed me.

Suburban Dogs

Sam

Imogen Heap - Sparks.

Her latest album, made up of tracks that she's been releasing individually over the last few years. The usual insanely high production quality and attention to detail, less filler than usual and quite a few belters. Maybe her best album yet, but you need to listen with good speakers, on headphones, of in the car, to allow the music up saturate you with the layering.

great_badir

Wading through The Band's complete (or, rather, expanded) 1971/72 Academy of Music new year performances.

Rock of Ages has always been one of my favourite live albums and, despite the justified criticism of the horn section being mixed down (an unfortunate but not really surprising change, given Robbie Robertson's major involvement) in the AoM release, it's quite a wonderful new mix.  Sonically much better and less muddy with better spacial separation between the instruments, but also a much rawer (i.e. live) sounding recording.

Also wonderful to hear some performances from other nights of the run, and the few numbers that never got a look in in the last remaster.

Dannyhood91

A mate of mine has just put me onto The Kings Of Frog Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eJ7SUSKymA They sound a lot like Kyuss, which didn't surprise me as this particular mate of mine loves Josh Homme.

hedgehog90

Just listened to Wire's Pink Flag, Chairs Missing and 157 back to back. Very enjoyable.
I forgot how relatively experimental 157 was to its predecessors. I was positive a few of the tracks were Dome, but evidently they weren't.

Puce Moment

As Broadcast are not making new music I'm very much poking around looking for interesting, experimental and a bit electonicky music with female vocals, hance the Electrelane tip earlier.

Today I have been listening to Ela Orleans - a solo musician who makes the most extraordinary sounds - ranging from unusual soundscape pieces, to poppy sample heavy ditties. I'm incredibly fucking impressed - and as usual feel I have come to this rather late. Three of her albums are on Spotify if you want to give them a listen.

Here is a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkekrL9JoT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fChB_NhSUhQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPHbDhyhjNQ

sirhenry

Been on a Midi Machine Music binge this morning, so am now listening to Metal Machine Music donked. Unbelievably wonderful.
Here

Pijlstaart

Discovering a new sound that is actually really old. Oswald Von Wolkenstein, taps into the fundamentals of religion, sex and adventuring. Gap year music, basically.

http://youtu.be/HWo3kPp8IJo?t=3m2s

I love when he cuts out the instruments for "Plehe, nur lat ewr plerren", and that "Smutz" at 4:53. I'm in love.

daf

holyzombiejesus

There's this ace second hand record shop near where I live and before I got my wages slashed, I always tried to go and spend £20 in there every Saturday. A few weeks ago I picked up a really bizarre Japanese LP from the 70s (?) which seems to be a compilation of singles from the blues and soul Minit label. There are loads of ace songs on it but one in particular has quickly become one of my favourite songs ever. It's by some bloke called Diamond Joe and the song - Moanin' and Screamin' - is split over the 2 sides of a 7" single. This youtube link sticks them together.

Listen to it, it's brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u80agStc-8w

I think the backing vocals are what makes it really special. I've been unable to find a copy on vinyl so have had to resort to listening to the youtube clip, but I'm certainly going to splash out if I find it at anything approaching a reasonable price online. There's one on ebay but they're taking the piss.

EDIT: If anyone has any ideas of where to try (apart from Ebay, Discogs and Beatin' Rhythm) please let me know.

Hugh Jass

Right this second I'm relistening the first LCD Soundsystem album, though earlier today I listend to Throbbing Gristle's 20 Jazz Funk Greats for the first time. I've been exploring late 70's/early 80's techno/industrial lately- Suicide, Cabaret Voltaire, Suicide, Bauhaus, Juan Atkins, the only two songs by The Normal. I found 20 Jazz Funk Greats to be excellent, as I enjoy dancey music that's aware of it's own kitschiness (along with the occasinal disturbing track like "Persuasion") and this scratched that itch. I do not, however, think it is the greatest album of the 70's like Fact Magazine does.

Puce Moment

I often put 'Hot on the Heels of Love' on compilations for friends I know that are a bit electronic/dance orientated and it usually gets a good reaction. 'Convincing People' is a great, great track but I notice that Porridge's sneery, nasal, camp vocals often put people off.

You might also want to check out some Nurse with Wound (something like Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella is a good place to start), SPK, The Hafler Trio, NON and some early Coil stuff, if you haven't already. Also Ramleh.

I also think that An Afflicted Man's Musica Box is a wonderful compilation and includes pre-industrial music like AMM as well as post-industrial music such as Foetus.

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 17, 2014, 01:11:22 AM
The Hafler Trio

I'm a huge fan of early Hafler Trio.

The 'trilogy' in particular is especially good. I've been looking for stuff like it for years, but I've never heard that style done so engagingly.

Hugh Jass

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 17, 2014, 01:11:22 AM
I also think that An Afflicted Man's Musica Box is a wonderful compilation and includes pre-industrial music like AMM as well as post-industrial music such as Foetus.

I do like certain Foetus songs, but I remember someone on I think this very forum saying that about half of Thrilwell's output is really good, and the other half is complete shit. From what I've encountered this seems to be true. I like his earlier albums- stuff like "I'm Surrounded By Incompetence" and "Satan Place" are great in that they manage to be both unlistenable and somehow catchy at once.

I have also listened to some Nurse With Wound, the Silvie and Babs album, though that was about a year ago. I'll listen again soon.

Puce Moment

Quote from: clingfilm portent on September 17, 2014, 01:28:45 AM
The 'trilogy' in particular is especially good.

Yep, good stuff. He has been ridiculously prolific, but I rather like the early 90s stuff like The Hafler Trio Play The Hafler Trio and FUCK. He's gone quiet of late, which I believe is due to illness.

Quote from: Hugh Jass on September 17, 2014, 01:35:19 AMI do like certain Foetus songs, but I remember someone on I think this very forum saying that about half of Thrilwell's output is really good, and the other half is complete shit.

I think that's fair - I'm a huge fan of his less rocky/industrial compositions - and the track on that comp is a wonderfully odd little piano piece that's a bit Berlin Horse.

jenna appleseed

currently rediscovering Liam Hayes / Plush thanks to John Mulvey still refusing to shut up about him in Uncut Magazine. Bought Fed when it was only available online via Japan, purely on the strength of his review & the feeling that if I didn't beautiful music could be lost to me forever - slightly miffed at it now being easily available via amazon (& a much cheaper eventual uk release) & youtube etc but was worth it - need to re listen to it but remember it as being a good album, Beach Boys influences & (over?) lush orchestration.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/uncut-editors-diary/one-way-to-make-a-duck-salute-an-enigma-returns

The songs he's linked to are wonderful and Rock & Roll has gone straight up there as one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Listening to the stream of  Korp Sole Roller right now - so far it's lovely. http://liamhayesplush.bandcamp.com/album/korp-sole-roller

Yeah you can spot the influences and they're retro but not annoyingly retro but convincing and real sounding.