Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:59:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What are you listening to at the moment? (Not a list thread)

Started by Puce Moment, August 22, 2014, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

Just listening to the new Zofff album. Not bad at all if you're in the mood for some spacy guitary kosmisch stuff.

saltysnacks

King Crimson's Discipline. I hate it, it's like a crap Talking Heads record. King Crimson is sfc though.

Twit 2

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: saltysnacks on May 12, 2018, 02:13:25 PM
King Crimson's Discipline. I hate it, it's like a crap Talking Heads record. King Crimson is sfc though.

Er...what does sfc stand for....?

Kane Jones

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on May 14, 2018, 10:09:17 AM
Er...what does sfc stand for....?

Shit for cunts? He's of course very wrong if I'm correct.

saltysnacks

I wouldn't actually knock someone liking King Crimson, but anything that even whiffs of Prog Rock turns me right off. Specifically prog rock though, as I can dig other elaborate experimental stuff like Post Rock.

Chairman Bodog

Kicking back with a paddy grouse up the mountain with my pooch and slow nodding to Karen Dalton's Green Rocky Road. I got the feeling life is swell till I pop down in flames.

NoSleep

Quote from: saltysnacks on May 14, 2018, 12:19:28 PM
I wouldn't actually knock someone liking King Crimson, but anything that even whiffs of Prog Rock turns me right off. Specifically prog rock though, as I can dig other elaborate experimental stuff like Post Rock.

Post Rock is Prog Rock with another name (no doubt invented by a journalist who loathed themselves for liking something prog). The Prog Rock Archives website covers Post Rock as well, for example. Many early prog acts, like Soft Machine, Matching Mole, Hatfield & The North and Henry Cow, as well as later ones, like This Heat & Hellebore, were doing Post Rock by definition but called prog rock in its own time. Even some of Crimson's output.

saltysnacks

Quote from: NoSleep on May 14, 2018, 12:55:14 PM
Post Rock is Prog Rock with another name (no doubt invented by a journalist who loathed themselves for liking something prog). The Prog Rock Archives website covers Post Rock as well, for example. Many early prog acts, like Soft Machine, Matching Mole, Hatfield & The North and Henry Cow, as well as later ones, like This Heat & Hellebore, were doing Post Rock by definition but called prog rock in its own time. Even some of Crimson's output.

Maybe it's specifically the 70s stuff then, can't quite put my finger on it. To say I dislike Prog in its entirety may be limiting, but I'm referring to the particular aesthetic of the music labelled prog rock, there is a clear distinction between stuff like ITCOTCK and The Hawk Is Howling.

Head Gardener

Ferris

holyzombiejesus

Did he sue Kevin Rowland over the similarities of a DMR song to Werewolves? Think it was something off Don't Stand Me Down? Come on Buzby!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: saltysnacks on May 12, 2018, 02:13:25 PM

Just pre-ordered the 200g vinyl edition. One of my all time fave albums. This will be my 5th variant of it.

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

I think they've solved music. Nobody needs to make any more music.

hedgehog90

Head Gardener

a faithful cover of the original album, I met the singer at a record fair and he kindly sent me a copy
which arrived this morning - it's pretty good and quite lo-fi but in a good homemade & loving way

sevendaughters

the new Frog Eyes record. was worried after just naming them in the bands who you like all their stuff thread. i like this one too. and they're splitting, so even better for that thread, less so for me.

Neville Chamberlain

Just giving my new sound-system a try-out with Neu!'s first album, then Ege Bamyasi and Saw Delight from Can.

Head Gardener

sweet charity shop find this morning - sounds perfect in the sun this afternoon

Neville Chamberlain

Has a Max Tundra / Gasman feel to it. When it's good, it's very, very good. Kind of drags a bit in other places, though...

Dr Rock

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 15, 2018, 08:11:00 AM
Did he sue Kevin Rowland over the similarities of a DMR song to Werewolves? Think it was something off Don't Stand Me Down? Come on Buzby!

One Of Those Things is the one. Always thought it was too similar to Werewolves Of London, don't know about any legal action

https://youtu.be/nitrNrXwXEc

Norton Canes

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 22, 2018, 07:26:34 AM

Has a Max Tundra / Gasman feel to it. When it's good, it's very, very good. Kind of drags a bit in other places, though...

Classic album! I think it's only because some tracks are so superb that others seem to drag. Shame he doesn't seem to have done a proper album (as Tim Exile at least) since.

So good.

This is just incredible. I mean it suffers a bit from 'EDM producer who thinks he can sing' syndrome but still, it's amazing.